MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
Have just ordered this mobo to go with my ryzen 7 5800x and Rtx3070, pretty new to pc building but managed to rebuild my Intel one ok when I got a new case.
I'm guessing this thread is going to be invaluable to me when I decide to do my first ryzen build after my mobo has been delivered!

Associate
Hi guys any recommended settings for a noobie for this mobo ?
I have a 5900x,32gb of ram (3600 MHz) cl16, and a 3090 gpu if that helps.
I don’t tend to mess around with motherboards but I would like to maximise this one as this build should be a keeper for awhile.

Last edited:
Associate
hmm not good after my last post yesterday I had to shut down and go to work. I thought all I had to do when I got home was a bit simple overclocking, but no, the bloody thing wouldn't post again.

All I get is the no boot device light again, the bios wont reset, jumping jbat1 and removing the battery for a while doesn't work, nor does trying to reflash the bios. Anyone any ideas?

ok I have the latest beta bios I had installed wouldn't install again, it starts flashes 3 times then stops, not sure if it just recognises this is already installed or not.

so I uninstalled everything except the cpu as that's a hassle and tried the latest non beta bios, that seems to have flashed ok, so putting it all back together again.

No, didn't work, even with the new bios all I get id the no boot device led, no post to bios which should happen but nothing, going to try a new bios battery next but highly unlikely to be that.

I finally got it up and running again and I think its down to my rx580 gpu in display port , it wont post with it but will with a old card. Now looking for solutions to fix that.

So now running with UEFI on and it sorted the gpu out so back running like last night, lets hope the settings hold over night this time.

Last edited:
Associate
Those numbers should be different on your RAM.

For 3600MHz, I'd try A-XMP Profile 1, manually set DRAM frequency to 3600, FCLK 1800, UCLK DIV1 Mode to UCLK == MEMCLK. In Advanced DRAM Configuration manually set up the first batch of numbers to Corsair spec (18-22-22-42), leave the rest on Auto. Manually set DRAM voltage to 1.35V.
Great that worked

Now for the CPU I know it can run 4.7 1.225 volts easily but where to put it, there are a couple of different options so want the right ones.
Thanks

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Great that worked

Excellent :)

Now for the CPU I know it can run 4.7 1.225 volts easily but where to put it, there are a couple of different options so want the right ones.
Thanks

Someone else will have to chime in here, I've not really explored all-core overclocking on Ryzen yet - I'm just using PBO with some tweaking in Curve Optimiser to get my 5600X to boost to 5GHz.

Associate
Yes PBO is there and I will see if I can find a guide to use it tomorrow.

In the mean time I set it to 4600mhz and 1.225 volts with no problems so will push it a bit more tomorrow.

This thing has taken enough of my time today, in fact it's taken all my time today fro 9 am to now, just hope the setting hold this time.

Associate
Set up my new build earlier.

Tomahawk x570 and 5600x.

Havent played around with anything yet but my ethernet keeps dropping out. Or else itll go from 1000/1000 to 100/100.

Anybody experience this?

JRS

JRS

Soldato

Tomahawk x570 and 5600x.

Havent played around with anything yet but my ethernet keeps dropping out. Or else itll go from 1000/1000 to 100/100.

Anybody experience this?

Didn't install MSI's Dragon Center did you? If you did, turn off the LAN Manager - it kills connection speed and reliability.

Associate
Last edited:
Permabanned

MSI & ASUS Prep Up AMD AGESA 1.2.0.0 BIOS Firmware For 500 & 400 Series Motherboards, Improved Ryzen CPU Compatibility & More
MSI & ASUS Prep Up AMD AGESA 1.2.0.0 BIOS Firmware For 500 & 400 Series Motherboards (wccftech.com)

We are approaching the end of January and still no new BIOS from MSI for its boards, whatsoever.

This Ryzen 5000 launch turns out to be a complete disaster and failure:

- no or limited availability - higher pricings;
- only bugs in BIOS;
- who knows what else.

What if a new BIOS version doesn't fix my WHEA unrecoverable errors, then what?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
We are approaching the end of January and still no new BIOS from MSI for its boards, whatsoever.

I'm not sure if you've noticed in the news, but there's this sort of pandemic going on right now? That might be impacting on teams trying to get software fixes sorted? Just a thought.

What if a new BIOS version doesn't fix my WHEA unrecoverable errors, then what?

Have you tried adding a little bit of VCore (+0.05V offset)? Or the beta BIOS (yes, yes, you seem to have a fundamental disagreement with the concept of a beta BIOS but if it fixes the issue...)?

Associate

Tomahawk x570 and 5600x.

Anybody experience this?

Hi,

I’m about to build with same board and cpu. How did you find flashing the bios? I have question does it matter if the System volume information hidden files are on the usb stick with the bios file? I can’t seem to delete it :(

Associate
Won't matter at all. USB stick does need to be formatted as FAT32 I believe, but it doesn't matter what else is on it.

Thank you so much Sorry first time builder aha and asked around and had mixed answers - don’t wanna brick my motherboard

Permabanned
I'm not sure if you've noticed in the news, but there's this sort of pandemic going on right now? That might be impacting on teams trying to get software fixes sorted? Just a thought.

Then why does Nvidia release several drivers per month? Maybe there is no pandemic going on for and at Nvidia?

I think you are wrong - MSI are bad and their support even more so.

Soldato
Perhaps because msi are a goldfish compared to the monster that is Nvidia?

And... Quote:

This Ryzen 5000 launch turns out to be a complete disaster and failure:

Really??

For who exactly? The teeny tiny minority?

I think all things considered, (have you heard there's a pandemic?) this motherboard had been a total success, and so has the latest line of Ryzen cpu's

Permabanned
You are in deep confusion :D

For a comparison - other OEM's BIOS releases:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0) - Date: 22.1.2021 - version F33a Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero - Date: 14.1.2021 - version 3202
1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0
2. This Beta BIOS can only be reversed by BIOS Flashback https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/

ASRock X570 Taichi - Date: 8.12.2021 - version 3.80 Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/#BIOS

All of them better than MSI's support here:
Date: 4.1.2021 - version 1.53 Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.1.9.0

JRS

JRS

Soldato
@4K8KW10:

Have you tried adding a little bit of VCore (+0.05V offset)? Or the beta BIOS (yes, yes, you seem to have a fundamental disagreement with the concept of a beta BIOS but if it fixes the issue...)?

***edit***

For a comparison - other OEM's BIOS releases:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0) - Date: 22.1.2021 - version F33a Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero - Date: 14.1.2021 - version 3202
1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0
2. This Beta BIOS can only be reversed by BIOS Flashback https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/

Oh, so beta BIOSes are okay now?

ASRock X570 Taichi - Date: 8.12.2021 - version 3.80 Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/#BIOS

One AGESA patch on from MSI's last non-beta, and an update that I don't believe fixes your WHEA error issue as well (IIRC patch D was in a previous MSI beta). Yes, certainly wildly outstripping MSI's BIOS team there.

You are in deep confusion :D

Someone's in deep confusion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom