• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I broke it! | RTX 3090 Water block install gone wrong

Associate
OP
I took the pictures down as I have put the card back to stock and am dealing with insurance company now.
Its still listed on eBay, so if you are really interested, take a look on there for photos.

Soldato
Donate it to buildzoid in the name of science.

Yeah he'll make a good video out that. If he fixes it you'll get it back as well.

Again I'd claim on the insurance. This is why we buy insurance. You can then give the card to Buildzoid to keep and make a couple of videos. He has no interest in the AMD 6000 series with their max frequency lock.

edit: just saw your post on dealing with insurance. You'll still have the card at the end of it so you can either sell on ebay or donate to science.

Associate
I took the pictures down as I have put the card back to stock and am dealing with insurance company now.
Its still listed on eBay, so if you are really interested, take a look on there for photos.
Thats the best thing to do mate, i botched a repair on a mixer years ago and thought "i paid my insurance for years and never made a claim" so i just claimed it was an accident i mean it was almost the truth lol.

Permabanned
I don't think it would be that difficult to repair. Personally, I'm useless, by the time I have finished all the copper tracks have fallen off the pcb but I have seen people perform miracles with pcb's that I would've considered irreparable.

Soldato
My neighbours kept claiming for daft things on home insurance, lost/broken designer sunglasses etc they wound up being black listed by some firms and had crazy premiums for rest.

House insurance really is for your house, when multi thousand pound damage or loss has occured. An rtx 3090 pales in comparison to what it is actually for. Can't believe the advice on this thread from some.

Soldato
My neighbours kept claiming for daft things on home insurance, lost/broken designer sunglasses etc they wound up being black listed by some firms and had crazy premiums for rest.

House insurance really is for your house, when multi thousand pound damage or loss has occured. An rtx 3090 pales in comparison to what it is actually for. Can't believe the advice on this thread from some.

Your ignorance is outstanding.

Permabanned

Have claimed an entire PC in the past, when I moved it something broke. Got a new £1200 PC.

Depends what cover you have.

Man of Honour

Nope, building insurance is for multi thousand pound damage to your house. Contents insurance is for anything within, a near £2k item is definitely worth claiming on contents insurance for.

Associate
OP
It's at nearly £700 on ebay, people really will buy anything!

I am very surprised that its got the type of attention it has to be honest.
It's likely bots that are bidding. So I'll be even more surprised if I actually get the money it sells for!

Still waiting for insurance company to update me on the situation.

Associate
Having just seen the ebay listing, it's not actually as bad as I expected from some of the descriptions. The trace damage to the PCB doesn't look that extreme and most of the damaged components can be sourced from RS Components for a few pounds. I've seen worse examples on other forums that came back to life. That said, people bidding £700 for it are being a bit optimistic - you could in theory get a 3080 for that price and having something 15% slower that you 100% know is working.

It definitely is worth picking a slow day when it comes to GPU modding. I had to re-solder my 3090 FE about fives times until I got the results I wanted and then all the hassle of the paraphernalia along the way - new soldering iron, better flux, resistors without a sloping shelf on the shunt, magnifying glass and thermal camera (hotspots). Always stressful, even when you're used to it.

Back
Top Bottom