Pugs New Cinema Build (Double Garage Conversion)

Soldato
OP
That looks decent, well done. Shame about the Christmas tree chucked in the way :D but otherwise looks great!

I assume the centre speaker is coming up off the floor?

Also, how much will it cost for someone to come in and calibrate everything? I'm not convinced it's worth it unless it's super-cheap - it's quite fun to do yourself and it's money you can put towards upgrades :)

Yeah still plenty to do to finish it all off, hence why I've not posted much pictures until there is pretty much everything done...

As for the calibration, I got my living room TV, Projector and the Cinema Sound calibrated last Friday and the sound is now biblical... no way could I have go that and the Audessy auto software isn't a patch on what this guy has done, best money I've spent. We had to adjust the panel alignment on the PJ as well as it was slightly out so that's made everything crisp up and the picture is deffo cleaner now... especially the TV upstairs... both of them had too much blue in the picture and that's all gone now. I've calibrated stuff myself, but you can't whack a pro so for me, it's the difference especially in the sound of night and day. He was here from 11am to 8pm last Friday, that's a lot of time and effort to get everything sounding and lookin it's best so for me, you can spend £10k on a sound system and if it's not setup properly it'll be blown away by something for a 1/3rd of the price... but that's always been the case. For me, best money I've spent upto now...

Sorry the centre speaking will be risen, but it's been compensated for within the Denon software and was told how to amend if I lift it up. I may just once the carpet is on the stage tilt it up slightly and keep on that stage as that's been filled with insulation and will be a nice space for it, not sure yet. Sure there's loads I'll alter over time...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm glad you're happy with the calibration! But I'm not sure how you can compensate for the speaker not being at the optimum position, other than by turning the level up. If it's not at ear level you're not getting the best out of it. Put it on a stand or wall bracket just below the screen.

Soldato
OP
I'm glad you're happy with the calibration! But I'm not sure how you can compensate for the speaker not being at the optimum position, other than by turning the level up. If it's not at ear level you're not getting the best out of it. Put it on a stand or wall bracket just below the screen.
pThe reason it is at that level is because originally the screen was going to sit 12 inches lower than it now sits with the speaker literally right under the screen. However, because the of way it all worked out and the lens shift needed I had to raise thr screen which created the gap. I always was going to put it on a stand or braket, but as I haven't finished yet or decided what to do with the wiring as the wiring is not in the wrong position and I don['t want wires showing when finished, I need to think before I act really, as made two errors during the build, this being one of them. Pain in the arse really and if I'd wanted absolute perfection I'd be putting the speaker behind the screen in AT materiel screens, but where does it all end. I'll be thinking once I've finished work (as in thwe work that pays for this crap hahaha) over Xmas how and what I need to tweak and this will be one of those things. I'll also be upgrading the sub next year to probably two Monolith Subs as well, so will see how it all pans out. It's all cost me more than I wanted to spend, coming in around £12.5k now... when the original target was £10k but it is what it is...

Associate
It's all cost me more than I wanted to spend, coming in around £12.5k now... when the original target was £10k but it is what it is...

Life is way too short to be worrying about things like that! What you'll get out of it will be well worth every single penny. Doing a brilliant job!

Soldato
OP
Life is way too short to be worrying about things like that! What you'll get out of it will be well worth every single penny. Doing a brilliant job!
Yeah now it's spent I don't think about it, can't live life worrying about things like that and as you say the enjoyment the whole thing is now starting to bring to the family certainly outweighs. Cheers for the comments, it's been tough work, weirdly it's tougher finishing the bits and bobs now and been let down by a supplier which was going to be my centre piece for the stairs and not going to get my "7ft Alien" which was going to be the big surprise, gutted but once again, it is what it is... sure something else will become available.

Soldato
OP
Finally looks like the remaning carpet will be here this week... disgraceful tbh, however it is what it is, so once that's finally in and I have some nice updated piccies will post some updates. It's changed quite a bit now...

Permabanned
Yeah now it's spent I don't think about it, can't live life worrying about things like that and as you say the enjoyment the whole thing is now starting to bring to the family certainly outweighs. Cheers for the comments, it's been tough work, weirdly it's tougher finishing the bits and bobs now and been let down by a supplier which was going to be my centre piece for the stairs and not going to get my "7ft Alien" which was going to be the big surprise, gutted but once again, it is what it is... sure something else will become available.

No home cinema is ever 'finished', sometimes any upgrades and modifications do get put on indefinite hold though :)

Soldato
OP
No home cinema is ever 'finished', sometimes any upgrades and modifications do get put on indefinite hold though :)
That is very true and it'll be the same here, always tweaking, however I wanna be at a point that I have my pictures up and everything is done... then you spend the rest of your life messing hahaha sooooo being messed about by the carpet people now, once this is in theyr'e gonna get slaughtered on trustedreviews lol

Soldato
OP
Ok guys, sorry for not posting anything but been so busy and things just get in the way and plus I've had to waitin since 29th November until today... ytes today for the rest of the carpet to be delivered and fitted... which was for the front stage and also the stairs... however, here are the latest updates:

• Painted as much as I can reach of the hallway/staircase, really difficult and need to do the top by the James Bond pictures lol.
  • Fitted the wall bannister and finished skirting.
  • hung some piccies and stuff and got my Alien picture now bursting out of an "air vent" lol
  • Also, painted the iside of the sliding doors matt black now, just need to build a pelmet to cover the mechanism.
  • Also, while doing the doors we realised that they were 3 inches away from the wall leaving a massive sound and air gap which looks crap, so as you can see I used the fuzzy brush solution which normally would be attached to say bottom of garage doors... well hey they can be used inside as well and they work absolutely perfectly.
whatsapp-image-2021-01-22-at-16-57-45-4-jpeg.1447042
whatsapp-image-2021-01-22-at-16-57-45-1-jpeg.1447043

whatsapp-image-2021-01-22-at-16-57-45-2-jpeg.1447044

whatsapp-image-2021-01-22-at-16-57-45-3-jpeg.1447045

whatsapp-image-2021-01-22-at-16-57-45-jpeg.1447046

whatsapp-image-2021-01-23-at-12-55-14-1-jpeg.1447047

whatsapp-image-2021-01-23-at-12-55-14-2-jpeg.1447048

whatsapp-image-2021-01-23-at-12-55-14-3-jpeg.1447049

whatsapp-image-2021-01-23-at-12-55-14-4-jpeg.1447050

whatsapp-image-2021-01-23-at-12-55-14-jpeg.1447051

Soldato
That Alien grill picture is awesome, really cool effect!

Your entire room is looking fantastic, makes me want to move out of my flat to somewhere I could do something like that!

Man of Honour
Awesome. The idea of turning a garage into a non garage is very troubling to me though. :p
Same, I'm moving to a house with a double garage and as lovely as this conversion is, I could never bring myself to do it. One space for a car and one space for a home gym for me.

Soldato
OP
Looking good and motion lights sounds very fun.
How was sound calibrated beyond what the AVR can do normally?
Hi Matey, rather than me explain, this is the guy that did mine.

https://www.displayandsoundcalibration.com/sound-technical
https://www.displayandsoundcalibration.com/why-calibrate-sound

I'd already used the Audyssey setup on mine, but it 100% sounds better now he's calibrated seperatly. I wasn't in the room when he did the sound only the picture but the difference when I went back in was like night and day so for me, haven't a clue what he did or whatever, but deffo worth the money. I do know that the EQ settings as altered as well for movie sources and for the music sources differently as well.

Same, I'm moving to a house with a double garage and as lovely as this conversion is, I could never bring myself to do it. One space for a car and one space for a home gym for me.
Hahaha, well the way I'd built my driveway now, couldn't get a car in there anyway and this is now not a dumping ground for every piece of junk in the house. if you use a garage as a garage, it's ace, but when you don't it becomes a tip ;-0 hahaha... I'd never go back now :)

Back
Top Bottom