Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
If so, that's excellent news. Whilst I like the Canadian circuit in the F1 game, I generally don't bother watching the race there. (And don't watch Monaco and Baku neither!)

Surely the race suits now could have the gloves included as a one-piece construction? That way at least there are no gaps or areas of reduced resistance in incidents like those.

Caporegime
This Hamilton signing is taking a whil .
Shame the other thread got locke . I'd also not give him a much as he wants. I also believe he needs merc waaay more than they need him. Pop Russell in that merc and they'd still have a wcc and wdc. Be exciting too. Where would Hamilton go??

Keep seeing pics of the alpine car (not sure if official or renders). But the livery looks disgusting. I'm so disappointed they are no longer Renault. I don't get it at all. My head, even as a keen fan, doesn't associate alpine with anything. It certainly doesn't advertise Renault or this weird brand of theirs

The black and yellow was my favourite livery

Soldato
Shame the other thread got locke . I'd also not give him a much as he wants. I also believe he needs merc waaay more than they need him. Pop Russell in that merc and they'd still have a wcc and wdc. Be exciting too. Where would Hamilton go??

Yeah, in a global pandemic and recession the wage demand doesn't add up. Last I heard the offer on the table was $20m which is tapping out all of the marketing budget available from the board given the core business is facing a downturn. Hamilton is holding out for $60m.

In my opinion it's tone deaf from Hamilton, considering he's likely sat on $250m+. If he really wants that 8th title, he'd drive what's arguably the best package for pleasure and no wage. I'm certain George Russell would.

Soldato
True, but AFAIK most of the exotic nature of those brews was about resistance to knocking/pre-ignition rather than about making them more explosive.

Mid 80s turbo era there was a significant proportion of toluene. Higher energy density helped when the fuel capacity limits in the rules were gradually decreasing, plus knock resistance as noted above so they could run 4.5bar boost for epic qualifying LOLs.

'89 onwards when the rules went to 3.5L atmospheric engines then the rocket fuel brews were less critical I expect, but it certainly wasn't standard petrol.

Modern F1 uses something way closer to "pump gas" and contains 5% biofuel, but there's leeway in there for developing additives.

Caporegime
Yeah, in a global pandemic and recession the wage demand doesn't add up. Last I heard the offer on the table was $20m which is tapping out all of the marketing budget available from the board given the core business is facing a downturn. Hamilton is holding out for $60m.

In my opinion it's tone deaf from Hamilton, considering he's likely sat on $250m+. If he really wants that 8th title, he'd drive what's arguably the best package for pleasure and no wage. I'm certain George Russell would.

This is when his 'green' campaigning etc really gets people annoyed. He's perfectly entitled to ask but it's really is a slap in bad taste. I hope Mercedes holds out. 60mln is disgusting when people have likely lost their jobs (no I don't have evidence for that).

He's not in a great position to demand.

Soldato
Feel I need to preface this with a disclaimer before the usual accusation of being a Hamilton hater/lover gets flung around like monkey poo at the zoo. So if you're thinking that : SHUT UP AND DON'T KEYBOARD WARRIOR SOMETHING OUT. You'll look foolish. Now that's out of the way...

Is his ego is getting in the way? Because of his campaigning.

I'd take the $20m on a 1 or 2 year deal. Then retire.

At the end of the day the driver is part of the package. They're the focal point as regards media coverage, but there's thousands of people at the team working on the package the driver requires to succeed in modern F1.

Short term they could put George in the car and still likely win races. The unknown is Hamilton's feedback over the last few years in developing the package. Is Bottas a better test and development driver? Could George do the same?

Soldato
Short term they could put George in the car and still likely win races. The unknown is Hamilton's feedback over the last few years in developing the package. Is Bottas a better test and development driver? Could George do the same?

That's the important part. Which is why I found it weird they still signed Bottas when they should've given Williams a few million reasons to not say no to letting him go and let George develop alongside Lewis. That would've been the best move for the team and it would give them continuity going forwards. It's not that I dislike Bottas but I don't think he deserved another season in the team

Soldato
Feel I need to preface this with a disclaimer before the usual accusation of being a Hamilton hater/lover gets flung around like monkey poo at the zoo. So if you're thinking that : SHUT UP AND DON'T KEYBOARD WARRIOR SOMETHING OUT. You'll look foolish. Now that's out of the way...

Is his ego is getting in the way? Because of his campaigning.

I'd take the $20m on a 1 or 2 year deal. Then retire.

At the end of the day the driver is part of the package. They're the focal point as regards media coverage, but there's thousands of people at the team working on the package the driver requires to succeed in modern F1.

He will sign, dont worry

Associate

Keep seeing pics of the alpine car (not sure if official or renders). But the livery looks disgusting. I'm so disappointed they are no longer Renault. I don't get it at all. My head, even as a keen fan, doesn't associate alpine with anything. It certainly doesn't advertise Renault or this weird brand of theirs

The black and yellow was my favourite livery

Alpine is the Premium Renault brand which has racing heritage, albeit the cars are associated with Rallying (a sport which is a shadow of its former self). I did hope to see Renault F1 using a scheme based on Jean Pierre Jabouille and Rene Arnoux's cars from the late seventies. :cool:

From Renaults perspective, a statement of intent (as per Stroll and Aston Martin) the next few years is a serious attack on one of the championships.

Soldato
The mostly black car with the french flag and an ‘A’ on the rear? Apparently it’s their winter livery, whatever that means, so presumably when they launch their 2021 car it will be different.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Alpine is the Premium Renault brand which has racing heritage, albeit the cars are associated with Rallying (a sport which is a shadow of its former self). I did hope to see Renault F1 using a scheme based on Jean Pierre Jabouille and Rene Arnoux's cars from the late seventies. :cool:

From Renaults perspective, a statement of intent (as per Stroll and Aston Martin) the next few years is a serious attack on one of the championships.

They should'a used Gordini if they wanted to rename the team, at least that name has Grand Prix racing pedigree.

Back
Top Bottom