2020/21 Sack Race

Soldato
People acting surprised but I think Frank already knew he was a goner.

there’s more disappointment here than if it’d being any other manager, cmon guys we know the Chelsea way. Whether it’s a former player or not, always the same when results aren’t there.

not sure where he goes from here, just needs a few years to build some kind of team . Maybe championship again

Soldato
well as people say it could be a very opportune time for Tyneside, however if I were Frank I would not shackle myself to the sinking ship of Ashley.

Soldato
I think Lampard will go to Newcastle,

Bruce will be next surely. I am a Newcastle fan, although I rarely care these days because they are so boring and bad I just think pointless following them. I think we are perfect for young managers fancying a bit of practice so why not, give Lampard the job and let him get some experience if we get relegated.. no one cares because we are heading that way anyhow.

Caporegime

Bruce will be next surely. I am a Newcastle fan, although I rarely care these days because they are so boring and bad I just think pointless following them. I think we are perfect for young managers fancying a bit of practice so why not, give Lampard the job and let him get some experience if we get relegated.. no one cares because we are heading that way anyhow.
I do wonder if Gerrard will end up at Newcastle before Liverpool. Seems like a great fit, but I’m really not sure anyone who wants to make a name for themselves would suffer Mike Ashley.

Soldato
I think it would be a mistake for Gerrard to goto Newcastle. He will want a top job after Rangers especially if he wins the League with Rangers.

Lampard needs to rebuild, Gerrard would be losing stock going to Newcastle after the job he is doing in Scotland.

Pet Northerner
Don

I'm hoping Lampard can stomach ashley in the hopes the club will be sold

Don
Have we just started our own Lampard to Newcastle rumour? Where the **** has that come from?

I'd be stunned if Lampard would go to Newcastle if the job was offered to him and I'd be stunned if Newcastle would offer him the job. I don't think Ashley is very keen to sack and pay off Bruce while Newcastle are still 7 points clear of the relegation zone and if and when he does, he's going to want a steady yes man that will just about keep Newcastle in the League on a shoestring budget.

As for Lampard, it's very difficult to see where he goes from here. He had possibly the strongest squad in the Championship at Derby and finished 6th, 20 points off the top and was extremely fortunate to walk into the Chelsea job. Because of Chelsea's transfer ban everybody was falling over themselves to make excuses for him last season but when you look at the value of the squad he took into the season it was no less than the one he inherited. In Tomori, Abraham and Mount Chelsea were adding £60m+ worth of players to their squad, on top of the £50m signing of Pulisic. Despite that, he finished one place lower in the League with less points and didn't win a trophy (that Sarri did) either. At best you can say he done ok last season. This season he's spent an absolute fortune and quite frankly, has looked completely out of his depth. Results have been poor and he's been scrambling around trying to find a system that works.

Who is appointing a manager that has had all the resources in the world thrown at him in two jobs and has failed both times?

Soldato
I'm hoping Lampard can stomach ashley in the hopes the club will be sold
oh come on everyone's been waiting for Ashley to sell for years now. He never will as he never wants to sell when they're doing badly as he wants top $ for a club that is a shadow of its former glory, due largely to his running of it from the way it's reported (not giving managers funds, aiming for mediocrity etc).
so why not, give Lampard the job and let him get some experience if we get relegated.. no one cares because we are heading that way anyhow.

Ashley cares because Ashley wants to sell and he can't get top $ when they're in the championship or heading there. It'll be "wah wah, you wouldn't let me sell to that (allegedly) corrupt conglomerate who wouldn't offer the proper reassurances and now we're relegated and I want compensation" BS headlines. Were the politics different it could be a good move for FL but as it is? Well I wouldn't want to be involved, or even associated with it.

Who is appointing a manager that has had all the resources in the world thrown at him in two jobs and has failed both times?
Someone with a club who want the publicity, with a record for some questionable appointments in the past, and who know they will struggle to get a good number of candidates to want to go there?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have we just started our own Lampard to Newcastle rumour? Where the **** has that come from?

I'd be stunned if Lampard would go to Newcastle if the job was offered to him and I'd be stunned if Newcastle would offer him the job. I don't think Ashley is very keen to sack and pay off Bruce while Newcastle are still 7 points clear of the relegation zone and if and when he does, he's going to want a steady yes man that will just about keep Newcastle in the League on a shoestring budget.

As for Lampard, it's very difficult to see where he goes from here. He had possibly the strongest squad in the Championship at Derby and finished 6th, 20 points off the top and was extremely fortunate to walk into the Chelsea job. Because of Chelsea's transfer ban everybody was falling over themselves to make excuses for him last season but when you look at the value of the squad he took into the season it was no less than the one he inherited. In Tomori, Abraham and Mount Chelsea were adding £60m+ worth of players to their squad, on top of the £50m signing of Pulisic. Despite that, he finished one place lower in the League with less points and didn't win a trophy (that Sarri did) either. At best you can say he done ok last season. This season he's spent an absolute fortune and quite frankly, has looked completely out of his depth. Results have been poor and he's been scrambling around trying to find a system that works.

This is a football chat, so do we need evidence for everything? It just makes sense in some ways, because Newcastle are crap and Lampard needs to go somewhere to rebuild get a bit of practice in with less pressure.

He won't be going to any of the bigger clubs, why would they want him?

Don
This is a football chat, so do we need evidence for everything? It just makes sense in some ways, because Newcastle are crap and Lampard needs to go somewhere to rebuild get a bit of practice in with less pressure.

He won't be going to any of the bigger clubs, why would they want him?
No, I just wondered what I missed as people were talking about it like it was a real possibility. As I said, I'd be stunned if either party was interested in it.

The Newcastle job is nothing more than a pay cheque until Ashley sells and Lampard has failed in both his previous jobs. If Lampard wants to prove himself then why take a job where it's almost impossible to achieve anything and with Ashley just wanting to tread water until he can sell the club, why risk giving the job to Lampard?

Soldato
No, I just wondered what I missed as people were talking about it like it was a real possibility. As I said, I'd be stunned if either party was interested in it.

The Newcastle job is nothing more than a pay cheque until Ashley sells and Lampard has failed in both his previous jobs. If Lampard wants to prove himself then why take a job where it's almost impossible to achieve anything and with Ashley just wanting to tread water until he can sell the club, why risk giving the job to Lampard?

Yeh you are right, but you can argue on the flip side that because it is what it is then he can't really lose, especially at the minute because Newcastle are going one way which is down. Obviously just wild speculation, unless he goes back down to the championship, or maybe he would go abroad who knows.

Only reason I say us (Newcastle) is because like I say, he can't really lose with it. Take us down now and we were going down anyway, keep us up now and he has done a good job.

And to add to that, it works both ways too, we might be the only Prem club that he could goto right now, if Ashley sacks Bruce, so beggars can't be choosers. God we are so terrible.

Don
Yeh you are right, but you can argue on the flip side that because it is what it is then he can't really lose, especially at the minute because Newcastle are going one way which is down. Obviously just wild speculation, unless he goes back down to the championship, or maybe he would go abroad who knows.

Only reason I say us (Newcastle) is because like I say, he can't really lose with it. Take us down now and we were going down anyway, keep us up now and he has done a good job.
Possibly, Lampard is immune from much criticism from the press so they'll certainly put the blame on Ashley rather than him.

Harry Redknapp done an interview with Sky during last summers lockdown where he basically admitted that he got the Derby job for Lampard - he knew Mel Morris and convinced him to give Lampard a go. I'm sure the old boys club will let Lampard on the Allardyce, Warnock, Pullis merry-go-round and he'll walk into a West Brom, Middlesborough type job again.

Soldato
Newcastle aren't going down, they're fortunate this season that there are three shocking sides in the current relegation spots. Fulham are playing some better stuff but I would still be surprised if that squad stays up.

Have you tried sitting through a Newcastle game recently ? :)

We are the worst team in the league at the moment.

Caporegime
People acting surprised but I think Frank already knew he was a goner.

there’s more disappointment here than if it’d being any other manager, cmon guys we know the Chelsea way. Whether it’s a former player or not, always the same when results aren’t there.

not sure where he goes from here, just needs a few years to build some kind of team . Maybe championship again

His Career is over but he decided to take it. He should have spent more time at Derby. Stevie G is doing it the right way. Go manage in a small league and learn that winning mentality. G Nev made the same mistake going to Valencia.

Mikel Arteta will be next.

Last edited:
Soldato
His Career is over but he decided to take it. He should have spent more time at Derby. Stevie G is doing it the right way. Go manage in a small league and learn that winning mentality. G Nev made the same mistake going to Valencia.

Mikel Arteta will be next.
Hmm, I somewhat doubt it.

Give him some players that won't flop and I think he will be successful for the short term anyway

Back
Top Bottom