Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Permabanned
Hi-Tech has been working out brilliantly for many people waking to find their pride and joy missing.

A switch is a simple and easy method that will fool many of today’s thief’s simply because modern cars are not expected to have them.

Can’t drive a car with no fuel supply and i doubt a would be thief will hang around long enough to diagnose the problem.

I heard of a guy who owned a cossie around my way who had removable bollards in front of his drive. Woke up in the morning to find it had been hi-abed onto the back of flatbed.

A tracker is probably the most useful nowadays. At least you can locate the car once stolen.

Soldato
Nothing stops a flatbed.... some trackers can be blocked.

Sure if you use the wrong tech or if it’s not installed properly, there are cowboy installers out there. Being an RS owner it is something I have looked into .

Sad state of society we have to live in.

Associate
Slightly off-topic, all this love for the GR Yaris and no love for the 1.8 GRMN has somehow been forgotten. Was just looking on autotrader and they are now within the 16-20k mark.

Soldato
Yea, but they dont have the looks or AWD. Those are an upgraded Yaris rather than bespoke. They make a much nicer noise though and are supercharged :D

But they are much rarer, they didnt make many. I dont know what tuning options they have but I bet you could get performance close to the GR.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea, but they dont have the looks or AWD. Those are an upgraded Yaris rather than bespoke. They make a much nicer noise though and are supercharged :D

But they are much rarer, they didnt make many. I dont know what tuning options they have but I bet you could get performance close to the GR.
That is true yeah and trying to find if anyone had modified them on a forum or maybe joining a FB group(which I haven't) who knows if the modding or tuning scene is available for them. I was also looking if anyone released any mods for the Lotus Elise gen 3 as its using the same engine but different supercharger I believe but nothing for that either.

Soldato
That is true yeah and trying to find if anyone had modified them on a forum or maybe joining a FB group(which I haven't) who knows if the modding or tuning scene is available for them. I was also looking if anyone released any mods for the Lotus Elise gen 3 as its using the same engine but different supercharger I believe but nothing for that either.

Lotus use their own ECUs and tunes so it wont be quite the same. There isnt really anything "off the shelf" for them, its all custom work most of the time.

Last edited:
Associate
Lotus use their own ECUs and tunes so it wont be quite the same. There isnt really anything "off the shelf" for them, its all custom work most of the time.
Oh I get that, was just trying to see if any company made any "tuning" parts for the Elise which might actually fit the Yaris aswell which so far I couldn't see any.

Soldato
Yea, but they dont have the looks or AWD. Those are an upgraded Yaris rather than bespoke. .....

I'd agree. The Yaris GRMN never seemed particularly interesting or special IMO. It felt like the changes they made were relatively minor and it seemed overly expensive for what it was compared to other similarly powered supermini and small family hot hatches.

The Yaris GR is very clearly in a different league being a bespoke rally homologation special and has no issue justifying it's price tag IMO.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Toyota RRG Macclesfield are now offering DTUK tuning boxes for £600 fitted, easy 300HP and maintains warranty.
They shall also be offering HKS intakes and exhaust systems, again compliant with warranty.

Guess thats where I shall be taking mine, not one for tuning boxes but plenty of people seem to be going down that route and are more than happy with results. :)

Associate
Toyota RRG Macclesfield are now offering DTUK tuning boxes for £600 fitted, easy 300HP and maintains warranty.
They shall also be offering HKS intakes and exhaust systems, again compliant with warranty.

Guess thats where I shall be taking mine, not one for tuning boxes but plenty of people seem to be going down that route and are more than happy with results. :)

Box, intake and exhaust fitted and retain warranty? That's dreams coming true - wouldn't need much more in a Circuit Pack car. Lord I want one so badly.

OcUK Staff
OP
Box, intake and exhaust fitted and retain warranty? That's dreams coming true - wouldn't need much more in a Circuit Pack car. Lord I want one so badly.

Seems the case yes contact RRG Macclesfield!

SVM are releasing a 340HP kit too, not released details yet but I’ve requested more info!

SVM have also released a ceramic brake kit which seems total over kill for this car as in my experience of cars I find steel brakes always trump ceramics in feel and modulation plus cost far less. Main advantage of ceramics is really looks and lack of dust plus they do last longer for road use.

If I could put steels on my 458 I would but it was never an option unfortunately.

Soldato
I'm surprised how many folk don't feel that 260bhp in a Toyota Yaris is enough!

I'd be utterly amazed if Toyota themselves still honour the 5 year warranty on the engine after you've modified the ECU to output more power :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm surprised how many folk don't feel that 260bhp in a Toyota Yaris is enough!

I think this is indicative of the car scene in general these days - now that virtually everything is turbocharged and more performance is a simple tune / tuning box away, it's almost as if part of the market now buy cars on the basis of what they'll modify to. Especially so with the markets flooded with supposedly 'undetectable' tuning boxes, in theory you don't even risk your warranty.

So many people across the various VAG owners groups virtually view the GTI as a 300bhp car and an R as a 360bhp car, as if that's the minimum standard because it's so easy to achieve with software.

Soldato
The 300hp route is via a plug in box no ECU mods ;)

Sounds like technically it would void the warranty but you can remove it should you need to get the car serviced, have an accident or claim on the warranty/etc.

In theory they wouldn't know you'd done anything if they didn't see the plug in box. Still not strictly speaking allowed under warranty should you be discovered using it though! Could also land you in hot water with your insurance in the event of an accident!

Caveat emptor....!

. Especially so with the markets flooded with supposedly 'undetectable' tuning boxes, in theory you don't even risk your warranty.

As you've implied I'd be nervous about just how undetectable they are especially on a brand new £35k motor! I struggle to believe the parameters the chip modifies (boost pressure, fuel/air mix, etc) aren't logged somewhere in the manufacturer's OEM engine management system?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think those things mess with certain engine safety features to be able to do what they do. They may leave something in a log file on the ECU

Soldato
Richard at RRG Macc is probably the best Toyota service manager you could hope for. Die hard Toyota enthusiast, always looks out for his customers and an all round sound bloke. Recommended - I wouldn't take a Toyota anywhere else and I don't live particularly close.

Back
Top Bottom