Yellow LED of DOOOOOM!!

Associate
Hi Overclockers, and all the techie geeks!

It was time to upgrade my PC, so I have purchased a new ASUS UF Gaming X570-Plus (WiFi) along with the Ryzen 7 5800X, and 32GB DDR 360000 Vengeance LPX memory.

To go into and existing chassis with 600W Corsair Modula ATX power supply

After spending hours building the system, I turn it on....ready to bath in my own triumphant ability to put a PC together when......"Yellow LED" on board and no post....As you can imagine I didn't then spend the rest of the weekend playing games and enjoying the amazing new framerates!!! I spent another 6 hours reseating the CPU, changing RAM, reading posts....I have now officially given up.

This warning LED states a DRAM issue. I have taken the memory out and put it in another PC, and it works. I have also taken DRAM out of another PC onto this motherboard...same Yellow LED.

On reading-up it says it is a common fault with the CPU, so I have double checked that I have no bent pins...all looks fine.

So I am thinking it's either faulty CPU or faulty Motherboard. I don't have another Ryzen machine to test the CPU / Motherboard...

The only thing to note is that the AM4 socket is really smooth closing it, but when you try to open it its smooth until the last part where this is a little resistance and you feel it click (no physical noise). Only does that with the CHIP in socket. This may or may not be normal!

Any suggestions?

I have asked Overclockers for a return for them to check each component!

All help appreciated!...

Matt

Soldato
Might be on an older BIOS that doesn't support the 5000 series. It doesn't appear that board has a quick flash option (some boards let you flash a new BIOS without a CPU). If it is the BIOS version, you might need a 3000 series or might need to send it back to be flashed?

Do the LEDs progress through the sequence though? It should be yellow/green first, then white, then red and finally yellow.

Man of Honour
Hi VaderDSL,

It just remains "Yellow". No additional progress made.

I am thinking it will support the 5000 cpu as its the new X570 chipset on the board.

Ta for your thoughts.

Matt
Most motherboards dont supports the 5000 cpus out the box they need a bios update . This can be done with bios flashback feature but your motherboard doesnt have this feature so you have done choices to make.

Either borrow a compatable cpu, change motherboard or send it to be flashed. You can also request an AMD upgrade kit and then will loan you a cpu

Soldato
Hi VaderDSL,

It just remains "Yellow". No additional progress made.

I am thinking it will support the 5000 cpu as its the new X570 chipset on the board.

Ta for your thoughts.

Matt

If you don't get any other colours in the LED sequence then it's not progressing past the first yellow/green LED sadly, which is the first Boot check. As Mickyflinn mentions, this could be due to the BIOS not supporting the 5000 processor. Not all x570s out of the box will support the 5000 series, hence you'll need to try and address this first sadly. And a further annoyance is your board doesn't have flashback feature as Mickyflinn mentions, if it did have this feature you would have been able to simply update without installing the CPU.

Associate
OP
Wow, when did all this get so complicated!... :) I really appreciate your help!....
Never had this problem with Intel! I will speak directly with Overclockers and see what they suggest. At least this potentially means something isn't smoked!

The trouble with Covid I can't just pop round someone's house either :(..... I need to find a generous donor in the Cambs/Northants area..hahaha!

I saw this post which supports what you have all been saying.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ryzen/comments/ji67tl/ryzen_5000_series_with_asus_tuf_x570plus/

What version of the Ryzen CPU would I need? E.g. how old can I go.

On the sticker on the motherboard near the RAM it has the following:

706022 - 12589 -MB1170 - C05 1407

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It defo looks like what you suggest! As I need bios 2607.

I big thanks for that. I feel that sense of relief yet annoyed that this wasn't obvious (well to me). Even second hand I am looking at £60 for a donor CPU which I could resell but I feel I shouldn't have to do that!

I will speak to Overclockers to see if they will help as they sold me both items together.

I may put something on Facebook to see if anyone can help.

Man of Honour
It defo looks like what you suggest! As I need bios 2607.

I big thanks for that. I feel that sense of relief yet annoyed that this wasn't obvious (well to me). Even second hand I am looking at £60 for a donor CPU which I could resell but I feel I shouldn't have to do that!

I will speak to Overclockers to see if they will help as they sold me both items together.

I may put something on Facebook to see if anyone can help.

Many people have fallen into the same situation you was just unlucky picking a board without bios flashback.

If you send it back to overclockers theres gonna be postage and probably a fee.

Theres always the option of the amd upgrade kit but not sure how long that it would take.

Lets us now how you get on.

Good luck.

Associate
OP
I have just spoken to Overclockers. They are going to flash the motherboard for me without a charge.

Top marks to Overclockers for their customer support.

I now just need to tear everything down and stick in the post.

I am now a little wiser and a little older!

Associate
OP
A massive thanks to everyone that helped me diagnose my issue with the Yellow LED of doom!

Overclockers have updated the bios on the motherboard and sent it back and now everything is running sweet as!.

Also a big thanks to Overclockers for turning this around so quickly.

Associate
OP
No the issue was I had a Series 5 Ryzen, and the motherboard need a bios update to support it. But you couldn't update the bios without a CPU.
...Chicken and Egg sort of situation. It wasn't even posting to the screen just a yellow warning light on the motherboard...

New PC Awesome!!

Soldato
Good to hear it all got sorted in the end. I came from Intel where this issue isn't quite as common (due to new sockets every two ish years). When I was looking into switching to Ryzen I didn't know why a lot more emphasis was being placed on a features like BIOS flashback (flashing BIOS without CPU installed) but it's definitely helped when buying an older B450 board with a newer CPU.

Back
Top Bottom