OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
We've pushed our son about as hard as we can without physical restraint and making him fearful and scared of potty/toilet I think, and it's still slow going at 32 months. We can get him to do a wee on the toilet using steps maybe every other night before bed, and despite lots of positive incentives and his understanding of it all progressing, he still puts up a lot of resistance most of the time. Gradual process, but if we didn't push him we'd be nowhere.

Getting annoying now, as even using overnight heavy duty nappies he's waking up wet - and hence bedding somewhat wet too - at least 2 times a week. Anyone got any more tips?

Caporegime
We've pushed our son about as hard as we can without physical restraint and making him fearful and scared of potty/toilet I think, and it's still slow going at 32 months. We can get him to do a wee on the toilet using steps maybe every other night before bed, and despite lots of positive incentives and his understanding of it all progressing, he still puts up a lot of resistance most of the time. Gradual process, but if we didn't push him we'd be nowhere.

Getting annoying now, as even using overnight heavy duty nappies he's waking up wet - and hence bedding somewhat wet too - at least 2 times a week. Anyone got any more tips?

Honestly, you're probably pushing too hard, too soon. What you describe sounds very normal to me.

Soldato
Yeah all the professionals we speak to say not to push it if he is obviously distressed by it. Just to keep referring to it as going to the pottie when we go toilet, ask him when he's obviously going if he wants to use the pottie and eventually he will show an interest that's when to try.

Soldato

Wait he will do it when he is ready all kids are different, keep trying stay positive and don't push. The night time thing is a pain we found reducing any bed time milk in quantity and moving it earlier made the biggest difference you can also buy booster pads to increase the absorbency.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
So the inducing procedure isn't working at all so doctor is considering a c section, reading the complications and one is baby may have breathing issues. Seems like my nightmares are coming true.
Anyone any experience of there partners having c sections?
Just saw this, exactly what we had. Inducement didnt work, they were at it for over 48h....in the end the doctor called it and rushed my wife to the operating theater and a few mins later we had a baby. Hes 6 now and has never had to return to hospital :)

My wife recovered very quickly, infact she "seemed" fine on day 1 post op really, the only constraint being that we live in country where you need to drive to do anything, and despite being fine she was banned from driving for around 14 days which kept her housebound.

Caporegime
My wife recovered very quickly, infact she "seemed" fine on day 1 post op really, the only constraint being that we live in country where you need to drive to do anything, and despite being fine she was banned from driving for around 14 days which kept her housebound.

The advice is 6 weeks not driving in the UK! Not that there's anywhere to go at the moment.

Soldato
We've been super lucky as I literally told my little boy what it was for and he's taught himself basically. Started at 18 months and now dry as a bone at 26 months.
He's nearly 3 but all the tests he does put him at about 20 month old ability.
Like everything he'll do it when he's ready.

Soldato
We really do push kids too much at times. They'll be ready when they're ready...there's no rush to crack this stuff other than it's convenient for us.
There's nothing with gentle reminders and nudges along the way, but they'll all get there at some stage :)

Associate
We really do push kids too much at times. They'll be ready when they're ready...there's no rush to crack this stuff other than it's convenient for us.
There's nothing with gentle reminders and nudges along the way, but they'll all get there at some stage :)
Absolutely

Soldato
Well the GF appears to possibly be expecting, it's only about 4 weeks so it hasn't really sunk in that this could all be real and I could be a dad. I can't imagine me been a dad, when I think of "adult", I wouldn't consider myself an adult at 32, I still feel like a kid in some ways.

The prospect of a child is daunting, financial implications were frankly terrifying, we have decided to merge our finances, currently we seem to be better off mixing our finances, the only kicker is childcare at 600PM we expect for 3 days a week based on 5 quid an hour over 10 hours a day. The GF would be going part time and I stay full time. our disposable income after all bills, food transport appears to be £500 between us, possibly up to 800 per month if I change shifts so 1 less day childcare, at the moment our MDI is like 1600, to be fair I'm surprised as I don't know where our money goes, but we're having to tighten things up, I'm only having 1 costa coffee a week instead of 4 now, and the PS5 I got in my basket on Amazon I had to let go because I know we need to save, I've just paid my bicycle finance and paypal off, and planning on clearing ALL my debt of 6k in 5 months.

No holidays, no buying things, seems a bit grim.

But then, there is a child, I imagine a child and see many positive that outweigh the negatives, there are a few negatives, like up all night, wiping bums etc.. But seems fairly minor. I think ME been a dad is a bit like wtf!?!? in my head, something I could never imagine.

But at the same time I'm not getting my hopes up because of how early it is I assume anything could go wrong.

My mind is all over the place, we live in a 1 bed flat and are frantically trying to get a 2 bed house something to be settled in too.

Soldato
Well the GF appears to possibly be expecting, it's only about 4 weeks so it hasn't really sunk in that this could all be real and I could be a dad. I can't imagine me been a dad, when I think of "adult", I wouldn't consider myself an adult at 32, I still feel like a kid in some ways.

The prospect of a child is daunting, financial implications were frankly terrifying, we have decided to merge our finances, currently we seem to be better off mixing our finances, the only kicker is childcare at 600PM we expect for 3 days a week based on 5 quid an hour over 10 hours a day. The GF would be going part time and I stay full time. our disposable income after all bills, food transport appears to be £500 between us, possibly up to 800 per month if I change shifts so 1 less day childcare, at the moment our MDI is like 1600, to be fair I'm surprised as I don't know where our money goes, but we're having to tighten things up, I'm only having 1 costa coffee a week instead of 4 now, and the PS5 I got in my basket on Amazon I had to let go because I know we need to save, I've just paid my bicycle finance and paypal off, and planning on clearing ALL my debt of 6k in 5 months.

No holidays, no buying things, seems a bit grim.

But then, there is a child, I imagine a child and see many positive that outweigh the negatives, there are a few negatives, like up all night, wiping bums etc.. But seems fairly minor. I think ME been a dad is a bit like wtf!?!? in my head, something I could never imagine.

But at the same time I'm not getting my hopes up because of how early it is I assume anything could go wrong.

My mind is all over the place, we live in a 1 bed flat and are frantically trying to get a 2 bed house something to be settled in too.

We had our first when I was 36, like you I still felt kid-ish. It doesn't go away but you find new strengths and learn new abilities.

I'm now 40 and have 2, one at 4 and another at 2.

Just remember, you don't have to stop being you, just become you-plus.

Permabanned
We haven't even tried potty training yet, he shows zero interest in trying.

Ours wasn't bothered about it until we introduced a star chart. One star per wee, two for a poo. When she completed a line of 5 stars she would get a small prize ( we got a box of 100 crap toys of Amazon for a tenner). Within a week she was getting multiple prizes per day lol.

Now trying to get her to go upstairs while we wait at bottom for her to go the loo, which she can do but it's not very practical in-between our 9 month olds naps etc

Last edited:
Associate
Our daughter is due in the next 7-8 weeks. Will be our first, excited and nervous at the same time. Just been sorting out the nursery but she will be in with us for at least 6 months in a ‘next to me’ next to our bed.

Just how bad is sleep going to be impacted? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom