ASUS x570i CPU fan header issue?

Soldato
I just bought this board and something peculiar has happened...

When I first got it all started up working fine did benchmarks etc to check stability was all dandy. Then I went to run memtest86, it had been going for 2hrs(fan was working all way until end) then I saw the fan had stopped, I was like odd? then obviously CPU overheated and shutdown.
So I boot it back up after letting it cool and go into the bios and you can switch the CPU fan between PWM and DC mode.

What I found was in PWM (which was the default) mode the fan wouldn't work at all, but when I switch to DC it works?
To check it wasn't the fan I plugged the cpu fan into a chassis header and fan worked on both PWM and DC mode as it did on the cpu header originally.
So this is leading me to think the CPU fan header has gone bad and I should return the board?

I upgraded the bios to the latest version prior to fan issue happening so I thought ok I will roll it back and clear CMOS. No dice. Problem still persists.

What should I do? I've only had the board for 3 days

I thought it may have been some kind of bios bug as people with ASUS boards have seemed to have issues with CPU fans. But obviously it seems like during memtest the fan header just went poof and now is no longer working correctly.....

I don't have a spare PWM fan on hand to test, but since the AMD fan works on the chassis header normally i'm guessing it's not a fan issue?

Edit: I'm using the stock cooler than comes with ryzen 5600x

Soldato
OP
If you tried the pwm fan on another pwm header and it worked then it got to be the header, especially as it worked before on the cpu header.

Yeah seems so,

Just never had this happen before but clearly when the header is set to PWM mode is dies. I plugged a non pwm fan in and it also didn't even spin when set to pwm.

Guess it's going back.

Back
Top Bottom