£2k (ish) New Build

Associate
All

After the great help I have got here before, I was hoping for some advice on a new build - it will be mainly used for gaming, but also for other officey tasks. No need need for a monitor or anything else at the moment, just looking for a tower

Plan so far is
5800x CPU
850W Corsair PSU
32GB RAM - open to suggestions on which particular one to get
Tomahawk X570 mobo
WD Blue 1tb M.2 NVME

Ideally want to get a 3080 GPU to go in it, and was wondering would it just be easier to get it built to get access to a GPU? I have posted in the customer services forum last week to see how much everything would cost, but not heard back yet. The GPU is what is holding everything back on this build, and I am going to need a PC rather soon.

Any help or pointers gratefuly received.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks Micky, I had completely missed them. Given how stock seems so limited, would it be safe to assume these are not at the better end of the spectrum given they are available, or am I being cynical?

Man of Honour
Thanks Micky, I had completely missed them. Given how stock seems so limited, would it be safe to assume these are not at the better end of the spectrum given they are available, or am I being cynical?
Understandable as the cards are in 3d printing section , seems wierd hope its not a glitch.

There nothing wrong with the cards its just avalibilty and maybe because there in the wrong section no one has found them.

Soldato
The cards are fine it's the prices that are high with all of those cards costing more than I paid for my 3080 at launch although that ship has sailed and with mining on the up this seems to be the new price for cards unless you can snag an FE from nvidia.

Associate
OP
Based on availability I may need to go for a 3070 or 6800 - is there much difference in performance between the two? I imagine I will not be pushing graphics too high and would probably be using 1440 resolution

Thanks

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
Based on availability I may need to go for a 3070 or 6800 - is there much difference in performance between the two? I imagine I will not be pushing graphics too high and would probably be using 1440 resolution

Thanks

The 6800 is probably the better bet out of the two for 1440p but check some reviews for the games you play.

Associate
OP
Thanks all.

I have looked at some reviews but have not seen anything to help me really as they seemed to be aimed at gaming on ultra on the latest releases, which realistically I know I wont be able to do with one of these. It will be used for Total War, FS2020, Assassins Creed, CoD and Battlefield in the main.

Time to have a much more in depth dig around

Associate
OP
Another numpty question, what are the AMD driver issues I keep seeing mentioned in relation to the 5000 series GPU? Are these a problem with the 6000 series?

Associate
Another numpty question, what are the AMD driver issues I keep seeing mentioned in relation to the 5000 series GPU? Are these a problem with the 6000 series?

The driver issues you mention appear to have largely been resolved. Think it was resolved a year plus ago. 5700XT now perform well. I suppose if anyone here owns one they can back this assertion up.

Back
Top Bottom