What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Nice, how are they constructed? Do I spy a few pocket holes?

Thanks :) Yeah it's mostly pocket holes, without glue. I was on auto pilot when I was doing the holes and did both the top and bottom panels on the inside, so no doubt the ones that are on the bottoms of the cupboards are going to fill up with grot > . <

They're just 18mm plywood, with 6mm MDF backs which sit in dados that I did on the table saw. The backs are set in 18mm and they're hung on french cleats made out of more 18mm ply, screwed through the back for a bit of security, and they're all screwed to each other.

Some of the shelves are just screwed in from the sides, as I don't have a good clamp for pocket holes so it's a bit of a palaver to get the shelves clamped up securely and screwed in. Plus they weren't visible. No clue why I did the vertical shelf with pocket holes! Autopilot again.

The doors are just on concealed/euro hinges and there's a chamfer on the bottom edge for opening them. I wish I'd taken more pictures while I was making them as I'm definitely getting better at making cabinets as I go along.

Soldato
I hate painting but wife said some bit's in the kitchen need touching up - So build myself up to do this job -masking tape -newspaper on floors - open the tin of paint and it has a crust on it about 1" thick - OH golly gosh.
Got screwdriver in and smashed it all up but was still lumpy so out came the battery drill and one kitchen mixer blade thing and it worked really well - got it smooth and runny and went on a treat-
Bloody hell it did stink though.
Only computer room -one bedroom and bit's of hall to do so said will do one every year.
My hour is nearly up to put second coat on.
Hate it- hate it -Hate it.

Associate
currently insulating garage roof and boarding it out a little whilst also jointing the plasterboard underneath to make it bearable to work in over the winter months in years to come have to say with only 1 2.5kw heater in there with just half the jointing and half the insualtion done its already getting close to 16-17c in there so i have high hopes it will be even better once all the gaps are filled in around the edges of the plasterbaord

Associate
F020-EC2-B-C4-C0-49-C1-9-FF2-45-E6-DA96-DAB0.jpg

Made this, another lockdown distraction!

Soldato
I carried a washer into a van yesterday does that count? Also fixed a leak in the waste pipe under the sink, which resulted on a leak at a different spot:rolleyes:. I hate plumbing:mad:. Going to have another cracking today and break out the ptfe.

Soldato
Have been putting this off for over 12 months lol

The Mrs bought our daughters a mirror for their bathroom, but the problem is the heavy 600x300 glazed tiles I didn't fancy drilling four 8mm diametre holes through them but finally bit the bullet this morning

Before

IMG-20210131-102121.jpg

Marked up the middle of the sink / vanity unit, rough position of the holes, added some masking tape and marked up the four fixing points

IMG-20210131-103330.jpg

Then started with 5mm then 6mm then 8mm tile bits interdispersed with diamond tipped hole bits.

Slowly slowly and took over an hour to cut the four holes.

IMG-20210131-115018.jpg

Back plate screwed on

IMG-20210131-115018.jpg

Batteries in and front mounted

IMG-20210131-122056.jpg

IMG-20210131-122115.jpg

Hopefully it won't be another 22 months to do the loop roll and towel holders :p

Soldato
Thanks that's really useful to know. Makes sense but not something I'd seen before! I'll keep an eye out for those when we get onto the bathroom.

On the subject of bathrooms our door handle snapped off (literally handle sheared clean off, textbook fatigue failure surface pattern). New one acquired from Screwfix and fitted. Not a difficult task but not ideal on a Sunday afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom