Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
So 200 for gme today? ;)
giphy.gif

Soldato
People who trade stocks and think they are somehow above Crypto:
"Look at that nonsense, basically just gambling with no fundamentals or reason for anything"

Those same people:
"People on reddit pumping GME? Let's go boys!"

Associate
I'm looking for a place to save for medium to long term, 5-10 years. I'd like somewhere that's better than a cash ISA return, but not too risky. Is Vanguard Lifestyle funds the way to go for S&S ISA that requires no knowledgeable input from me?

Maybe the 60% or 80% funds?

Yeah that would work, I looked into this a few years ago. Instead I decided to get an ISA trading account at T212, and put money away each month into three ETFs: iShares Global Clean Energy, Vanguard S&P 500 ETF, iShares Electric Vehicles and Driving Technology. Obviously it all depends on your appetite for risk, but once its set up you just transfer the money to your trading account each month and hit 'invest' - very easy.

Soldato
RR and IAG taking a pasting this week. Any particular news or just general negative outlook on the virus?

"Rolls-Royce has slashed its forecast of flying hours and expects to burn through £2bn in cash this year, as uncertainty about the new coronavirus variants and increased travel restrictions put the brakes on a recovery in air travel.

The engine-maker said it expects engine flying hours to be about 55% this year compared with pre-Covid levels in 2019.

The latest forecast is significantly down on the prediction made by Rolls-Royce, whose business model relies heavily on the number of hours its engines spend in the air, in October of a base case of flying hours this year running at 70% of the 2019 level."

Associate
RR and IAG taking a pasting this week. Any particular news or just general negative outlook on the virus?

IAG spent 500m buying Air Europa at at time where profits are low, might have caused a dip. I'm not worrying too much. Rolls-Royce announced that it downgraded expectations for the utilisation of their engines this year - probably causing that dip.

Can someone explain how pre market works? If I put a buy order through t212 at 1am for GME, the open market shows at 91, so assume when markets open, my buy order through t212 will not fulfill as when market opens its instantly jumping up, or will t212 fulfil at the higher price?

Soldato
I think it depends on the type of purchase you make.

A "Market Buy" will just buy at the first price it can. If the price is increasing quickly then this can be a lot higher than you intend. For example yesterday GME was $89, i hit buy, and it fullfilled at $96.

Alternatively you can set a "limit buy" and set the maximum price you're willing to pay, then if the price goes above that before it can allocate for you, it just won't trigger unless the price drops.

Caporegime
btw if your using 212 you can almost always buy under market price with a limit order.

check the spread, say the difference is 0.1 you can probably put a limit order .04 below the market price and expect an almost instant fill saving yourself a few pennies per share.

I've done it even on low liquidity stocks.

I don't remember the last time I bought something and was instantly above the market price

Soldato
btw if your using 212 you can almost always buy under market price with a limit order.

check the spread, say the difference is 0.1 you can probably put a limit order .04 below the market price and expect an almost instant fill saving yourself a few pennies per share.

I've done it even on low liquidity stocks.

I don't remember the last time I bought something and was instantly above the market price

Ah, that's a great tip thanks for that. As you say it's not a lot, but it helps :)

I've been quite fortunate with GME, i think an element is purely down to people piling in based on all the news coverage, i think it's worth keeping an eye on Reddit for the other predictions, purely because of the amount of people being aware of it now and the GME success. If you can get in early i expect you can ride some big pumps.

Soldato
what are they saying?

Basically putting it all down to the high number of short positions. In the theory that eventually the short holders will need to buy them due to the cost of holding.

The issue is that i imagine the big investment firms have a lot more patience than kids on Reddit and the people who got in early have already made such a huge amount that they no longer care.

Soldato
Ah, that's a great tip thanks for that. As you say it's not a lot, but it helps :)

I've been quite fortunate with GME, i think an element is purely down to people piling in based on all the news coverage, i think it's worth keeping an eye on Reddit for the other predictions, purely because of the amount of people being aware of it now and the GME success. If you can get in early i expect you can ride some big pumps.

But its a short squeeze though, there is no fundamentals from what i can tell, unless i've missed something. The reason the price is going up is because of short covering. As soon as it is covered, it'll dump back to below where it came from.

Last edited:
Soldato
Basically putting it all down to the high number of short positions. In the theory that eventually the short holders will need to buy them due to the cost of holding.

The issue is that i imagine the big investment firms have a lot more patience than kids on Reddit and the people who got in early have already made such a huge amount that they no longer care.

Yea, its a short squeeze. They are already covering, that's why the price rocketed. Reddit users don't have more money than large investment firms, they will sell to the Reddit users at $100 a share and they'll be left holding the bags

Back
Top Bottom