MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Stu

Stu

Soldato
You are in deep confusion :D

For a comparison - other OEM's BIOS releases:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0) - Date: 22.1.2021 - version F33a Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero - Date: 14.1.2021 - version 3202
1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0
2. This Beta BIOS can only be reversed by BIOS Flashback https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/

ASRock X570 Taichi - Date: 8.12.2021 - version 3.80 Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/#BIOS

All of them better than MSI's support here:
Date: 4.1.2021 - version 1.53 Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.1.9.0

Very selective perspective there... Gigabyte Ultra is the second or third top x570 board from Gigabyte, the CH8 is the top Asus board and the Taichi is the top ASRock board... making an equal comparison, MSI have released AGESA 1.2.0.0 BIOS updates for all THREE of their MEG boards, so I don't think you can say MSI is trash compared to the other companies. I'm sure they are now working on the MAG boards.

Permabanned
Very selective perspective there... Gigabyte Ultra is the second or third top x570 board from Gigabyte, the CH8 is the top Asus board and the Taichi is the top ASRock board... making an equal comparison, MSI have released AGESA 1.2.0.0 BIOS updates for all THREE of their MEG boards, so I don't think you can say MSI is trash compared to the other companies. I'm sure they are now working on the MAG boards.

So, a Meg X570 godlike costs north of 800 pounds. Does this mean that you must be charged so heavily by MSI, so you get support from them and the other boards are left without support?
Again - the last qualified BIOS version is from the very beginning of November last year and there is still no reliable, working BIOS version released by MSI for the 5000 series Ryzens.

Associate
So, a Meg X570 godlike costs north of 800 pounds. Does this mean that you must be charged so heavily by MSI, so you get support from them and the other boards are left without support?
Again - the last qualified BIOS version is from the very beginning of November last year and there is still no reliable, working BIOS version released by MSI for the 5000 series Ryzens.

They're always going to test their boards from the top down; so the people who paid stupid money for theirs will get the first releases. It's understandable that they test boards separately as they'll each handle the update differently.

I get your frustration but a lot of this is AMD's fault; I recall reviewers only getting the Zen3 BETA BIOS a day or 2 before launch, which is ridiculous - the rush is probably why there have been so many bugs in certain use cases.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Once more, with feeling. @4K8KW10:

Have you tried adding a little bit of VCore (+0.05V offset)? Or the beta BIOS (yes, yes, you seem to have a fundamental disagreement with the concept of a beta BIOS but if it fixes the issue...)?

Particularly interested in the first potential fix.

No, but the Godlike board was released earlier than the Tomahawk IIRC.

Beta v153 has been perfectly stable here - 5600X boosting to 5GHz, 8Pack B-die RAM @ 3600MHz CL14.

Soooo was the consensus to avoid any beta AGESA 1.2.0.0 BIOS beta like the plague? :p

With no 1.2.0.0 beta out for the Tomahawk yet it's a bit hard to make that call :)

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Again being selective in your observations... why focus on the Godlike rather than highlighting that the x570 Unify has a 1.2.0.0 BIOS and is only one model up from the Tomahawk?

Your list highlighted the Asus CH8 having a new BIOS compared to the Tomahawk... how dare owners of an MSI Unify at £265 have a BIOS with the latest AGESA update at the same time as owners of an Asus CH8 costing £370... those MSI owners are not worthy of such gifts!!!

Seriously, stop being so obtuse!

Associate
Been getting a lot of connection issues with my wifi, not just on this board but all over the house.

I have pluged in a lan cable now and prefer to use that, will the lan cable take priority or will I need to turn of wifi in the bios or something?

Soldato
Been getting a lot of connection issues with my wifi, not just on this board but all over the house.

I have pluged in a lan cable now and prefer to use that, will the lan cable take priority or will I need to turn of wifi in the bios or something?
Just do from Windows, win+r, ncpa.cpl, right click on the adaptor and choose disable.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

The LAN cable should be prioritised over wifi.

Soldato
On that driver, no such error in event viewer. Ethernet keeps dropping out or else its at 10/10 or 100/100. Never 1000/1000.

Anyone have similar issue?

Just mentioning this incase it helps anybody else out.

I recently installed the latest Realtek ethernet drivers from Realteks site as they are newer version than what is on MSI's site. Got the latest drivers because since building this system and using the drivers on MSI's site my ethernet connection has seemed a little flakey. Anyway installed latest drivers and it got worse. Connection started dropping frequently. Seemed completely random, sometimes would go a few hours without dropping, sometimes every few minutes. Didn't matter if I was playing games or just on internet, YouTube or whatever.

I solved the problem by switching off Energy Efficient Ethernet and Power Saving Mode through Device Manager, under the Realtek Ethernet Controller properties. Also unticked the Allow This Computer to Turn Off This Device option under the Power Management tab. Not sure which of the 3 options actually solved the problem or whether it was a combination of the 3 but my ethernet has been rock solid since :) There must be a bug in the drivers as even when the connection is being utilised it will drop the connection with those options enabled

I do still get my connection limiting to 100/100 though, though it hasn't happened in over a week now. I will check which driver I'm using when I'm home from work tonight

Soldato
I do still get my connection limiting to 100/100 though, though it hasn't happened in over a week now. I will check which driver I'm using when I'm home from work tonight

Can I ask how do you recognise this? (I don't mean test its speed)

I use the ethernet port, just plugged in and that's it. No idea what speed it's working at, it just seems to work.

Are you noticing a drop out or slow Internet?

Just wondering

Soldato
I have the latest from realteks site installed. I also tried the one listed in this thread and its same.

Last night just browsing ethernet kept dropping out completely or else it was just stuck at 10/10
Have you tried a different Ethernet cable or do you have another gigabit enabled device to test on the same line?

Back
Top Bottom