PCI-E 4.0 drives

Associate
I picked up a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro which arrived Christmas eve eve. I had a £25 voucher so it brought the total to £182.99. I'm now all Samsung Flash (1tb Pro 980, 500 Evo 960, 1TB 860 Qvo) and a 2tb WB black mechanical. Moving stuff between the 980 and 960 is bonkers fast. Looking forward to when the Direct 12 Storage api gets used.

Temps don't seem bad (40's when doing a transfer from the Evo to the Pro)

93Ef0dtl.jpg
LkjVnnil.jpg

Caporegime
Pity you couldn't get a SN850 - I've heard it smashes the 980 Pro!
At twice the price of the sn750 I couldn't justify it. Got the 750 for now.

The 970 Evo Plus is loltastic at its current pricing, almost as much as a 980 Pro or sn850. Who is buying those...

Samsung still pricing their units like they have no competition, when actually they do..

Permabanned
And it smashes your wallet :p

;)

At twice the price of the sn750 I couldn't justify it. Got the 750 for now.

The 970 Evo Plus is loltastic at its current pricing, almost as much as a 980 Pro or sn850. Who is buying those...

Samsung still pricing their units like they have no competition, when actually they do..

I was joking with my comment - twas a reference to Grim's earlier post in here.

I'll be needing a new SSD for my build but right now I just vaguely want the best bang-for-buck 1TB, and yeah, the SN750 might be it. Over here, the SN750 1TB is currently $130, the 970 Evo Plus is 150, and the 980 Pro etc are 220+. Based on that and me having more experience with Samsung SSDs and having positive experiences, I guess I'd stretch for the 970... :o but I haven't looked much into it since I really gotta first secure the CPU/MB/RAM at least, in the next few months.

And honestly I'm holding a bit back this time round - I'll splurge on the next build when DDR5, better GPUs and whatever else is out then, at some semblance of normal pricing hopefully.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
@viathinair if you are going to be months getting other components them I would definitely hold off getting a new SSD now because models with new controllers are hitting the market now and shaking things up.

Soldato
Tempted to get a sn850 1tb for my new gaming build next year. I only ever have a few games installed at a time thanks to a fast internet speed and i can only keep track of playing 2 games at at time lol.

Man of Honour
Worth waiting for the heatsink version of the WD 850 2tb? Or will a motherboard heatsink be fine? MSI Unify X motherboard.

Edit: found it available so ordered it.... yolo!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just upgraded my main to a 2TB SN850, brought it for pretty cheap. Now I can install all the games in my library without worrying about space.
Was this via eBay? I think you mentioned this on discord :)

Think I’ve having Brexit related delivery issues at the mo... still nowhere on site :(

Man of Honour
You know it mate :D

I just did a clone from my old drive to this drive and it is working all as it should be.
Awesome! Glad it worked out for you.

I’ve just noticed that my motherboard has an m2 plate so the heatsink version might not fit... time will tel ><

Associate
Awesome! Glad it worked out for you.

I’ve just noticed that my motherboard has an m2 plate so the heatsink version might not fit... time will tel ><

Its more of the GPU clearance you need to worry about I thinks. If the motherboard m.2 plate is removable and if it isn't interconnected to other bits of the motherboard , then you should be good to go.

Man of Honour
Its more of the GPU clearance you need to worry about I thinks. If the motherboard m.2 plate is removable and if it isn't interconnected to other bits of the motherboard , then you should be good to go.
Think I will be ok with the GPU but you’re right that the plate is probably detachable... the manual is confusing on the point unfortunately. Next week will be the moment of truth... if the dang thing arrives!!

Back
Top Bottom