Control TV from 55 miles away

dal

dal

Associate
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Is it possible to control a TV from 55 miles away, it's my mother in law, she is having problems getting her TV on although it's always a simple fix if your actually there. She has the internet which is always on.
It would be so useful to be able to remotely control the TV, is there a device / APP which could do this ( even if it means getting a new TV ).

Thanks.

Associate
You'd need to check that it can be controlled from outside the house (I think it can, but have never needed to try it), but a logitech harmony hub should do what you're after.
Once setup, it sends out IR codes to the controlled devices (TV, set-top box, etc.) so you shouldn't have to change the TV itself.

I've been there... my solution at the time was a flipper big button remote.

Good luck!

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, very helpful. I didn't think about voice remote. Can these devices ( broadlink, echo ) change the source of the TV ( that's where the problem is ).

dal

dal

Associate
OP
So a Alexa with Alexa compatible TV could do the trick, so you would just say something like "Alexa change source to HDMI 1 " for example.

Soldato
Broadlink RM4 or similar would be perfect for this.
The older version, https://www.amazon.co.uk/BroadLink-RM-Universal-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B01FK2SDOC is what I set up at my mother's, back before I was here 24/7. I remember it being a bit of a faff to set up with her smart LG TV, but it definitely worked.

I will say though that these technological solutions only work for a short time. Once folk start to get confused by such things, they're well onto the slippery slope. I spent several years trying to solve such issues with cameras and remote control laptops and all sorts. Ultimately there's no substitute for someone being close enough to go in and help directly. Often.

Some of the alternatives being suggested may be simpler now. But modern TVs have so many options that can confuse easily you're only ever one accidental button press from another tech support issue. Modern life is complicated.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
The older version, https://www.amazon.co.uk/BroadLink-RM-Universal-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B01FK2SDOC is what I set up at my mother's, back before I was here 24/7. I remember it being a bit of a faff to set up with her smart LG TV, but it definitely worked.

I will say though that these technological solutions only work for a short time. Once folk start to get confused by such things, they're well onto the slippery slope. I spent several years trying to solve such issues with cameras and remote control laptops and all sorts. Ultimately there's no substitute for someone being close enough to go in and help directly. Often.

Some of the alternatives being suggested may be simpler now. But modern TVs have so many options that can confuse easily you're only ever one accidental button press from another tech support issue. Modern life is complicated.

Yeah I can see that happening as well. I think she'd be better off with the remotes put to one side and using voice only if that was possible. My other half does go and see her a few times a week but a trip over there just to sort her TV out is wearing her down.

Soldato
a trip over there just to sort her TV out is wearing her down.
I've been there. I used to finish a night shift sometimes, travel 180 miles on a train, fix a problem because Mum was in a right state, and then travel back to maybe get a little rest before work again. You end up tying yourself in knots and not thinking straight.

Local support is everything... for your sanity, not just theirs. But getting it in place, especially now, with covid and overstretched carers is no fun. And often they won't accept help anyway. Nightmare.

https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/flipp...pd5TSDBBcZbGHYMxXntY0JFHpsmlO0qkaAtFFEALw_wcB may help, with the main remotes hidden. But by the time my Mum was struggling, she also struggled to learn a new 'simple' device.

Back
Top Bottom