PCI-E 4.0 drives

Associate
Think I will be ok with the GPU but you’re right that the plate is probably detachable... the manual is confusing on the point unfortunately. Next week will be the moment of truth... if the dang thing arrives!!

Might as well order from the bay the one I got and cancel your one :D , the temps with my Asus motherboard heatsink isn't too bad, but the SN850 can go crazy high temps without throttling.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Just upgraded my main to a 2TB SN850, brought it for pretty cheap. Now I can install all the games in my library without worrying about space.

How much, around £300? I still can't convince myself to spend that much over a 2TB gen3 drive for around £180.

Soldato
How much, around £300? I still can't convince myself to spend that much over a 2TB gen3 drive for around £180.
I'm the same, while I love the idea of 7000Mbps it's a lot of extra money, and really for what. Will it make programs any faster really.

Man of Honour
Might as well order from the bay the one I got and cancel your one :D , the temps with my Asus motherboard heatsink isn't too bad, but the SN850 can go crazy high temps without throttling.
I potentially would at that price point if I wasn’t so constrained with the timing of the build. I do like the idea of the heatsink version but a £200 privilege is certainly steep.

How long did it take to arrive?

I'm the same, while I love the idea of 7000Mbps it's a lot of extra money, and really for what. Will it make programs any faster really.
I believe he paid ~£250.

Man of Honour
Not a UK supplier? Concerns over extra import fees post-Brexit?
I ordered from the manufacturer - it wasn’t obvious that it was going to be shipped from Europe! Arrived without issue though.

All things considered unless you’re desperate for the heatsink version it makes sense to go with that standard version which, as per Lustral’s comments, seems to be available for much cheaper if you’re willing to accept some risk on authenticity (a risk which seems to have paid off from Lustral’s perspective).

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I ordered from the manufacturer - it wasn’t obvious that it was going to be shipped from Europe! Arrived without issue though.

All things considered unless you’re desperate for the heatsink version it makes sense to go with that standard version which, as per Lustral’s comments, seems to be available for much cheaper if you’re willing to accept some risk on authenticity (a risk which seems to have paid off from Lustral’s perspective).

Glad it arrived without issue. I have heard people getting extra charges on kit from Corsair when it arrived, because the UK online store ships from EU.

Soldato
I always get confused with PCI-E Lanes and now I am more confused...

I have an ASUS Prime X470-Pro.
I have a 3700X
I have a 1TB PCI-E NVME (Gen 3) M.2 SSD.
I have a 512GB SATA M.2 SSD.

I want to replace the 1TB with a 2TB and move the 1TB into slot 2, replacing the 512GB one.

Can I use the full bandwidth of PCI-E Gen 4 with my GPU and motherboard?
Will my 3700X and X470 run out of the fastest PCI-E lanes each hardware can use if I have:

GPU: 6800XT
SSD1: M.2 over PCI-E Gen 4
SSD2: M.2 over PCI-E Gen 3 (or slower)
Network: PCI-E x1 network card.

Associate
Looking to see what Corsair's MP600 Pro does in reviews before deciding on a drive. It's only looking like £10 more than the 980 Pro for a preinstalled beefy heatsink with on paper better specs.

Associate
Here is a comparison of my new WD SN850 (1TB) drive compared to the ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB).

The SX8200 Pro was my previous boot/Win10 drive but the SN850 has now taken over that role.

Tested on a new Win10 install (20H2), both quite empty. The SN850 is via a PCI-E adapter, whilst the SX8200 Pro is via a dedicated m.2 slot on the motherboard.

Left: SN850
Right: SX8200 Pro

5eG31Px.png

Associate
Feels more snappier in Windows, no games installed on it yet, but for booting I disable fast boot as I prefer a fresh Win environment, so everything is loaded new.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Here is a comparison of my new WD SN850 (1TB) drive compared to the ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB).

The SX8200 Pro was my previous boot/Win10 drive but the SN850 has now taken over that role.

Tested on a new Win10 install (20H2), both quite empty. The SN850 is via a PCI-E adapter, whilst the SX8200 Pro is via a dedicated m.2 slot on the motherboard.

Left: SN850
Right: SX8200 Pro

5eG31Px.png
Nice boost that :)

Just looked at how it would compare to my Optane SSD. The 4KiB Q1T1 Read timing is more than 3x faster on my Optane which I use as an OS drive. The main area it cannot beat the SN850 and is lacking is sequential read and write. But I cannot think of anything that would benefit from that right now apart from file transfers. Things may change when we get things like Microsoft Direct Storage starts being used in game in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom