Mayhems Blitz on these new radiators?

Associate
Hi All.

I received my new radiators, HWLabs GTS 360 X-Flow and a GTX 360, and noted that there is a little corrosion inside, as I've tried to show in the pics linked to below.

I have read that flushing new radiators is wise anyway, and after seeing the ports of my new rads I decided I'd use the Mayhems Blitz kit to give the system a good start in life.

Part 1 of the process seems pretty easy (fill radiators, let sit for 12 hours, flush with distilled water a few times), but Part 2 of running the liquid through the system for 24 hours then flushing 3 or 4 times seems a bit of a pain.

Do you think it would be OK to do Part 1 as prescribed, then for Part 2, since all components will be new, just leave the liquid in the radiators (not in system yet), shake them about, and flush before assembling? Or do you think it would require velocity of liquid to properly get part 1 out (apparently part 2 is needed to re balance the pH of the system).

Thank you!

https://imgur.com/gallery/pVYP4iJ

Associate
There's a reason why the manufacturers ask you to run the loop for 24hrs.. I understand it's a pain, but build the loop outside of the case, plug in the psu and let it run, if you went through the effort of buying Blitz you might as well do it properly. Otherwise just rinse and clean your rads and blocks, block, and tubing, rinse with distilled water, and hope nothing icky pops up in your loop.
Because dismantling and cleaning a loop after you have it up and running in your system is a mahoosive pain in the butt

Soldato
You don't need to run part 2 on a brand new system as you're not cleaning anything. Could be worth giving them a slosh around in some distilled if you're being fastidious (not that fastidiousness and "sloshing" go together :p ).

Part 2 is a pH neutraliser though, so after doing part 1 for the rads and flushing through with distilled, it could be worth running some part 2 as well just to be 100% sure that acid is out.

Associate
OP
There's a reason why the manufacturers ask you to run the loop for 24hrs.. I understand it's a pain, but build the loop outside of the case, plug in the psu and let it run, if you went through the effort of buying Blitz you might as well do it properly. Otherwise just rinse and clean your rads and blocks, block, and tubing, rinse with distilled water, and hope nothing icky pops up in your loop.
Because dismantling and cleaning a loop after you have it up and running in your system is a mahoosive pain in the butt

You don't need to run part 2 on a brand new system as you're not cleaning anything. Could be worth giving them a slosh around in some distilled if you're being fastidious (not that fastidiousness and "sloshing" go together :p ).

Part 2 is a pH neutraliser though, so after doing part 1 for the rads and flushing through with distilled, it could be worth running some part 2 as well just to be 100% sure that acid is out.

Thanks, guys. For peace of mind I think I'll do parts one and two the proper way. Will be good practice for fulling and draining before the final setup :)

Soldato
Mine where clean inside but I made up a 50/50 of tap water and vinegar warm shook for a bit then let it settle,done this 3 times then rinsed with tap water,then I built my loop with just the rads and res with a xspc filter fitted and filled with a bottle of water that ocuk sells for the job of flushing the loop and let this run for a few hours and my loop was clean ready to go.

Associate
OP
For radiators I prefer to put a barb in and attach to my garden hose and mains pipe. Put full mains pressure through the rad for a few minutes and it will get everything loose out.

Unfortunately I don't actually have a hose or a garden (London living!) but that does sound like a good flush.

Mine where clean inside but I made up a 50/50 of tap water and vinegar warm shook for a bit then let it settle,done this 3 times then rinsed with tap water,then I built my loop with just the rads and res with a xspc filter fitted and filled with a bottle of water that ocuk sells for the job of flushing the loop and let this run for a few hours and my loop was clean ready to go.

I never thought of building the loop with just the rads first. Makes sense. Thanks! I think I'll do this when OCUK decide to send my final bits (critically, pump, fittings and tubing).

Associate
I run 2 high end Alphacool rads and no matter how much washing/rinising you can do with distilled water you'll still end up with bits and build up months later and things clogging up in the micro fins.

The Blitz kit is the best thing I've done to my loop. The water and micro fins are so clean years on since doing it its a shame I didn't do this from the get go.

When I bought my kit I just cleaned my rads with part one following the instructions. Just leave the part 1 solution to do its thing and occasionally keep swashing the solution inside the rad. Waiting is the key to the part 1 as its breaking down all the crap inside the rad. Then check how super clean the copper inside turns out.

Once your done then make sure you run some Part 2 with some distilled water to stabilise the PH. Then a final rinse for good measure. Bit of work to do but the system will look and perform great after.

I then just cleaned the blocks manually by stripping down and cleaning with distilled water and a tooth brush with no need for part 2 on the full system. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Mayhems advise on the below video, showing the benefits of the Blitz cleaning kit, that you can pH neutralize the radiator outside of a loop if you need to, by simply adding distilled/de-ionised water and a bit of the part 2 solution to the radiator and giving it a good slosh about.

https://youtu.be/3Zd7y04Xg-w

Associate
OP
Mayhems advise on the below video, showing the benefits of the Blitz cleaning kit, that you can pH neutralize the radiator outside of a loop if you need to, by simply adding distilled/de-ionised water and a bit of the part 2 solution to the radiator and giving it a good slosh about.

https://youtu.be/3Zd7y04Xg-w

This is really helpful. Thank you! Watched half this morning and will pick it up this evening! Always good to see the process undertaken in full before attempting myself

Back
Top Bottom