Quest 2 Virtual Desktop Performance Thread

Associate
I''ve had to knock VD on the head for streaming games for the time being. Although my network latency is good, I just don't near have the bandwidth available for decent graphics for PC VR. I am on 5 GHz / 866 Mbps but my router is downstairs with no prospect of a wired connection.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just ordered 4 x TP links for a wired connection from ** No Competitors ** for £50 as even with my new router and a NETGEAR extender my WIFI upstairs is pretty pump. So fingers crossed it works for VD!

I also smashed a lamp shade last night playing HL ALYX.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I also smashed a lamp shade last night playing HL ALYX.....

Noob
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Associate
HI All
I seak for some advice according to my current setup and the latency I experiens.

setup:
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4GHz
ASUS SABERBOOTH Z97 Mark S
Kingston HYPER X FURY 32GB DDR 3
Radeon R9 295x2
CPU@GPU run on watercooling and never were OC
Windows 10

Network:
Virgin Media HUB 3 working in MODEM MODE ---> ROG Rapture GT AX11000----> PC hard wire witch ROG, separate 5G network for phones and tablet, and a dedicated 5G for OCULUS only! Virtual Desktop show 1200Mbps but latency is around 50ms with only VD running not even a game...

Comand prob shows 1ms respond to my Oculus Quest IP when Virtual Desktop Streamer show LATENCY of 46ms + (Desktop)
Dedicated 5G for Quest runs at:
AX-only
160Mhz
Any advice how to set it up? Alyx is unplayable, So I gave up at start, as I don't want to waist sush a Title.

Any help welcome

Thanx

Soldato
HI All
I seak for some advice according to my current setup and the latency I experiens.

setup:
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4GHz
ASUS SABERBOOTH Z97 Mark S
Kingston HYPER X FURY 32GB DDR 3
Radeon R9 295x2
CPU@GPU run on watercooling and never were OC
Windows 10

Network:
Virgin Media HUB 3 working in MODEM MODE ---> ROG Rapture GT AX11000----> PC hard wire witch ROG, separate 5G network for phones and tablet, and a dedicated 5G for OCULUS only! Virtual Desktop show 1200Mbps but latency is around 50ms with only VD running not even a game...

Comand prob shows 1ms respond to my Oculus Quest IP when Virtual Desktop Streamer show LATENCY of 46ms + (Desktop)
Dedicated 5G for Quest runs at:
AX-only
160Mhz
Any advice how to set it up? Alyx is unplayable, So I gave up at start, as I don't want to waist sush a Title.

Any help welcome

Thanx

Is the Router in the same room as the PC that you are using for the Quest? Also, I presume since the Virgin Media Hub is in modem mode, that the ROG Rapture is handling all the network traffic, handing out DHCP addresses etc?

But, correcting your latency problems won't solve your Alyx been playable problem. Your computer specs are well below the minimum recommended. Not to mention that AMD cards back then had terrible encoders which further affect the quality.

Associate
PC is upstairs, Virgin and ROG is in living room down stairs where the game area is. I only just finish to put a wire over the attic and outside the house to have that 1Gbit conection so about 20m cable Cat6 from ROG to PC. Yes ROG is handling it all now.
PC was a top spec when I build it... Probable never utylised it full potential. It was build about 5y ago, and yes I know it is like a 2-3 decades in pc hardware. I know that ALYX is very demanding game... But it was a triger for me to actualy buy a Quest 2.

I take any advice about how to bring latency down & maybe what to invest to upgrade my PC and rescue what is stil usable in it.

Thanx for a quick reply

Soldato
PC is upstairs, Virgin and ROG is in living room down stairs where the game area is. I only just finish to put a wire over the attic and outside the house to have that 1Gbit conection so about 20m cable Cat6 from ROG to PC. Yes ROG is handling it all now.
PC was a top spec when I build it... Probable never utylised it full potential. It was build about 5y ago, and yes I know it is like a 2-3 decades in pc hardware. I know that ALYX is very demanding game... But it was a triger for me to actualy buy a Quest 2.

I take any advice about how to bring latency down & maybe what to invest to upgrade my PC and rescue what is stil usable in it.

Thanx for a quick reply

The ideal setup is to have a dedicated router just for the Quest and in the same room as the PC and Quest with nothing else using the 5Ghz network at all. Everything you add outside of that ideal setup adds to the latency.

Have you OFDMA enabled in your router settings? And set the 5ghz network that you have your Quest 2 connected to, to 160Mhz bandwidth.

Not sure any part of your PC is worth saving to be honest. But, as a priority, get a GPU. The problem is that GPUs are crazy expensive at the moment, even second hand ones. What kind of budget would you be talking about?

Associate
Wireless Mode: AX Only
802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode : Enabled
Wi-Fi Agile Multiband : Disable
Target Wake Time : Enabled
Channel bandwidth : 160MHz
Control Channel : AUTO - And I left it like that as WiFi Analyser app show that it chose Channel with no traffic

About a budget....

Oculus and ROG cost me over a 0.5k right now...
Let's say a 700GBP + whatever I can get for my old parts... GPU's expensive now as people Mine crypto using them :(

EDIT:
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO Enabled
Multi-User MIMO Enabled
802.11ax/ac Beamforming Enabled
I also set ROG as AP. All the traffic is now running on 2.4G network from VIRGIN HUB 3 and 5G disabled. ROG have now just 1, 5G chanel for Oculus AX mode 160Mhz

VIRGIN Hub3 Ethernet ---> ROG router AP Ethernet( not WAN) ---> PC ( PC internet connection show Virgin Hub 3 network, I don't know if this is how it work in AP mod)

Virtual Desktop at start show 8-12ms than jump to over 80 when dashbord is loaded... Don't know how to sort it out...

In Population ONE stand alone PING: 32-40, Over VD 100-300

Last edited:
Soldato
Folks.. Ive come across a wierd phenomenon....

When I move my head around I notice that in some games there is continous stuttering, veeeeery slight stuttering.
Its not like the game is stopping or starting its just not a smooth movement.

Ive altered all the settings from highest to lowest, switched things on and off. But still i keep getting this issue....

Has anyone noticed this?

Soldato
Wireless Mode: AX Only
802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode : Enabled
Wi-Fi Agile Multiband : Disable
Target Wake Time : Enabled
Channel bandwidth : 160MHz
Control Channel : AUTO - And I left it like that as WiFi Analyser app show that it chose Channel with no traffic

About a budget....

Oculus and ROG cost me over a 0.5k right now...
Let's say a 700GBP + whatever I can get for my old parts... GPU's expensive now as people Mine crypto using them :(

EDIT:
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO Enabled
Multi-User MIMO Enabled
802.11ax/ac Beamforming Enabled
I also set ROG as AP. All the traffic is now running on 2.4G network from VIRGIN HUB 3 and 5G disabled. ROG have now just 1, 5G chanel for Oculus AX mode 160Mhz

VIRGIN Hub3 Ethernet ---> ROG router AP Ethernet( not WAN) ---> PC ( PC internet connection show Virgin Hub 3 network, I don't know if this is how it work in AP mod)

Virtual Desktop at start show 8-12ms than jump to over 80 when dashbord is loaded... Don't know how to sort it out...

In Population ONE stand alone PING: 32-40, Over VD 100-300

I think you are going to have to do some serious troubleshooting.

In Virtual desktop, can you tell me what settings you are using. Both in the Streaming section and the settings section.

And something to try, is to enable Performance Overlay in the Streaming settings. Then start a game, and it should show what areas are the worst. Encoding, decoding, Network or game.

When you report back with some of those values, we can work on something to try and solve the issues.

Soldato
Thanks. Please looknt the floor and wall around yourself physically.

It feels like you are a little tipsy.

But make sure to look down.

Thanks melmac.

The only time I get this is after first loading into a game or a new level. It's like a small stutter, when I am turning around looking at the ground. But, It's fine after that.

I tried RoboRecall in Standalone and on the PC. (played two levels in each)

Soldato
THanks for checking this melmac, not just turning around... im actually talking about taking steps forwards and backwards, it seems to judder ever so slightly depending on how you move and where you are looking the ground.

Do you also see the guardian guides come up when you look at the floor?

This is really ever so bizzare.... would you mind telling me your settings in VD?

Back
Top Bottom