• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Nvidia lowered memory temp limit with the latest driver?

Soldato
After using the latest driver I'm unable to overclock the memory at all on the 3090. I first ran into this because my games were crashing after about 10 minutes of play with the new driver

I have to run the memory clock to pretty much stock for games to not crash now, power limits and core clocks unchanged.

what gives? The only thing I can think of is that the driver has implemented a lower memory temp limit and when it hits that limit it crashes? My understanding is that at stock the GDDR6x modules on the 3090 can reach 90c and presumably higher when overclocked

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Played today a good 3 hour session of Cyberpunk on my overclocked 3080 with no issues. Latest driver (not the hotfix) installed.

I've got the hotfix one installed, but also the 3080's memory is all on the front making contact with the heatsink so it will run much cooler

if it's not the memory temp causing the crashes then I don't know what is, will stick to the old driver which is stable

Associate
Yeah, don't know, didn't you watercooled your card?
Maybe roll back to latest stable driver?

Btw, from the Nvidia rep on Guru3d:

"We will have a new Game Ready Driver next week."

Soldato
OP
Yeah, don't know, didn't you watercooled your card?
Maybe roll back to latest stable driver?

Btw, from the Nvidia rep on Guru3d:

"We will have a new Game Ready Driver next week."

I'm still waiting for parts, EK's shipping is a bit slow at the moment

Associate
After using the latest driver I'm unable to overclock the memory at all on the 3090. I first ran into this because my games were crashing after about 10 minutes of play with the new driver

I have to run the memory clock to pretty much stock for games to not crash now, power limits and core clocks unchanged.

what gives? The only thing I can think of is that the driver has implemented a lower memory temp limit and when it hits that limit it crashes? My understanding is that at stock the GDDR6x modules on the 3090 can reach 90c and presumably higher when overclocked
Yes defo done something wrt memory overclocking, I rolled back as had issues with crashing with that driver

Associate
How much are you OC the memory and I will try it.
My memory can go to 10752 which is 1000 on afterburner for gaming. And benching 1150 on afterburner.
But with the latest driver I was getting crashes at 300.
I did read somewhere there was something done with the error correction in the latest driver cant remember much more.

Soldato
My memory can go to 10752 which is 1000 on afterburner for gaming. And benching 1150 on afterburner.
But with the latest driver I was getting crashes at 300.
I did read somewhere there was something done with the error correction in the latest driver cant remember much more.

Thanks for the info :)
That's a good memory OC there.

Soldato
I’ve just installed the newest driver of guru 3D. I can’t seem to get bt.2020 to work it’s deep colour mode on my 55 inch LG tv to work any more control panel settings are colour mode 422 and 10 bit colour depth works on a older driver so wot gives nvidia .

Back
Top Bottom