What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - 7/10

Man on the Moon is one of my favourite films, so I really enjoyed this documentary on how it was made and how crazy Jim Carrey was in and around the set. Felt like Carrey was taking himself a bit too seriously in the interviews though - Think he was going through a bit of a wild time anyway.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Infinity War and Endgame back to back in 4k goodness.

IW is still bloody fantastic and gave me goosebumps multiple times, and whilst Endgame is the weaker of the 2, the hammer and portal scenes are still epic.

I very much felt the same way. I really like IW but Endgame fell completely flat for me. Perhaps its because I like the films and the characters but I honestly have 0 attachment to them emotionally and Endgame felt like a marathon of trying to play on those emotions.

Soldato
Drive - I'd never have watched this had it not been for an article I read about how badly the film had been misrepresented during its promotion. Very enjoyable. Highly recommended. 8/10.

Yep, drive is a great film. Has a really great atmosphere and feel to it. I know a lot of people don't like Gosling as an actor, but he suits this film really well. Gets an 8/10 from me too.

Associate
Decided to complete my prequels rewatch to distract myself from the gnawing feeling of jealousy in the pit of my stomach at opportunities missed...

Revenge of the Sith - another great movie... that and the 2nd one were just straight up solid... I will admit as I said I wasn't totally feeling Episode 1, but even including that then the first 3 as a unit I think easily beat out 7, 8 & 9... and the prequels were at a heavy disadvantage as you know how things must end roughly given the state of affairs at the start of 4.

Palpatine is a bit hammy, but that's kinda the joy of him, Anakin was less annoying in this one, we got some solid Obi-Wan time... a shame Mace Windu went out so easy (and honestly most of the Jedi seemed like absolute slackers when it all went to pot)...

Not sure if I rate 2 or 3 more highly but either is a solid watch and I don't regret spending some time going back over them, after it being so only they actually felt almost like new movies and I couldn't really remember what was going on (aside from the bits you see circulated endlessly as memes).

Associate
Election is on iPlayer if you haven't seen it. A personal favourite.

Jim McAllister (Matthew Broderick), a well-liked high school government teacher, can't help but notice that successful student Tracy Flick (Reese Witherspoon) uses less than ethical tactics to get what she wants. When Tracy runs for school president, Jim feels that she will be a poor influence on the student body and convinces Paul, a dim-witted but popular student athlete, to run against Tracy. When she becomes aware of Jim's secret involvement in the race, a bitter feud is sparked.

Man of Honour
I watched a surprisingly good film called R.I.A. starring Luke Goss.
The acting isn't brilliant but watchable.
I never watch trailers or read reviews so I had no idea what was going on until 30 minutes in and I suggest you do the same.
I'll just say one thing Groundhog Day.

Associate
Watched The Dig on Netflix last night really enjoyed it as I live only about 5 miles away from Sutton Hoo where the burial ship was unearthed.

Good to see a bit of local history on the screen.

Cheers all

Associate
Just finished The Old Guard.

The first opening scenes I was starting to regret it, can't place my finger on it, but it just appeared strangely shot, even low/cheap production.

Stuck with it and rather enjoyed it.

Soldato
Watched all 3 Bad Boys movies over the weekend.

Bad Boys: Enjoyable action romp!! Martin Lawrence and Will Smith worked well together. Tia Leoni looked hot and the Captain was suitably angry all the time. 7.5 out of 10 for me.

Bad Boys II: Some funny moments(Marcus getting Shot and the guy coming to the door to take Marcus's daughter on a date) But not as good as the first one. It didn't fit together as well. The incessant whining by Martin Lawrence's character got so annoying. 5.5 out of 10 for me.

Bad Boys for Life: Watched this with no expectation of it been any good at all. And, it surprised me by been actually decent. They managed the aging characters really well, apart from a couple of silly scenes. But, I would have no problem recommending this as a movie to watch. 6.5 out of 10

Caporegime
The Nice Guys - 5/10

I'm not sure what this movie is trying to do, or trying to be, tbh. I think it's billed as an action comedy, for what it's worth.

It's how I imagine a film might be, if you told asked a bunch of 8 year old kids to make a film, and gave them a huge Hollywood budget.

It's barely held together with any kind of plot. The jokes wear very thin very quickly. The action sequences are deliberately hammed up. There's far too much filler.

It's a nothing film, deeply unsatisfying. At the end, I just wondered what I had sat through. What the purpose of any of it was. In Crowe's words, "Was I not entertained?" Not much.

Back
Top Bottom