Tumble Dryer Recommendations

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Not sure what kind of crap people are buying to get to some of these time estimates

A very full load on my heat pump dryer takes about two hours. But the clothes don't get to a million degrees and nothing shrinks

Soldato
Is the economy of a heat pump dryer a misconception, with respect to the cost of the heat that is removed from the room you are running it in ?

so, indoors, you'd be using more central heating, which kind of defeats the point.

Soldato
Is the economy of a heat pump dryer a misconception, with respect to the cost of the heat that is removed from the room you are running it in ?

so, indoors, you'd be using more central heating, which kind of defeats the point.
Lol, that's not quiet how they work, basically the same as a condenser except a heatpump uses the same air constantly, so A air is already dry so holds more moisture each time and B it's already warm.

Soldato
OP
Not sure what kind of crap people are buying to get to some of these time estimates

A very full load on my heat pump dryer takes about two hours. But the clothes don't get to a million degrees and nothing shrinks

Agreed. Ours takes even less. Mrs is still thoroughly happy with it, and the washing backlog is a thing of the past!

Soldato
Heat pump dryers are crap.

They take 3-4 times longer to dry than a normal dryer.

They also only work well indoors. So not in a garage type setting.

They are also ridiculously expensive.

Condenser is best of both worlds. More efficient than vented and fast and cheap to buy.

Candy own hoover and a host of other makes in the market. If honestly pick up a decent cheap candy. A decent one with 10kg capacity, WiFi, etc is around £300-£400.

If you want a Samsung with that type of capacity and heat pump it's easily £800+.

It's better to buy cheap and have it last 5-10 years then buy again as technology gets better than buy expensive and have it last 15 years.

Candy give you a 10 year warranty on parts of you register it.

Don't agree with most of that - we got a Bosch Heat Pump condenser a couple of years ago - its on at least once a day. Costs next to nothing to run, dries clothes as quickly as our last non condensing/non heat pump dryer - definitely not 3-4 times as long (it holds 9kg and will do this in 3h). It won't work in an outbuilding, but that isn't an issue for us.

Caporegime
Don't agree with most of that - we got a Bosch Heat Pump condenser a couple of years ago - its on at least once a day. Costs next to nothing to run, dries clothes as quickly as our last non condensing/non heat pump dryer - definitely not 3-4 times as long (it holds 9kg and will do this in 3h). It won't work in an outbuilding, but that isn't an issue for us.

Mine will do 10kg in an hour

So that is 3-4 times as long.

Some only take 30-45 mins too. It has sensors built in and has 4-5 different dry settings so it will switch off when it hits the desired level.

It only cost like £300 or so as well. Maybe £350. Mine is in the garage too so a heat pump just simply wouldn't work for me. I'll get a heat pump once the garage is converted and I bring the washing machine into the kitchen possibly.

Associate
I will just chime in here with my experience of two heat pump dryers

You get what you pay for!

First was an expensive indesit that lasted three years - yes it took an age and sometimes had to go through two cycles to get 'dry'. When it packed up I ripped it apart to see how poor the engineering was - it was terrible. Lint everywhere, all over the fins - everywhere! I was fastidious with cleaning both filters

Now have a Samsung - omg

One cycle and it's done, takes around 1h40 for an average mixed load. The fluff filter doesn't get clogged up and the filter on the heat pump so far hasn't even got dusty. A world away from the last one

Soldato
I will just chime in here with my experience of two heat pump dryers

You get what you pay for!

First was an expensive indesit that lasted three years - yes it took an age and sometimes had to go through two cycles to get 'dry'. When it packed up I ripped it apart to see how poor the engineering was - it was terrible. Lint everywhere, all over the fins - everywhere! I was fastidious with cleaning both filters

Now have a Samsung - omg

One cycle and it's done, takes around 1h40 for an average mixed load. The fluff filter doesn't get clogged up and the filter on the heat pump so far hasn't even got dusty. A world away from the last one

How much did the Samsung cost? Model?

Caporegime
Which say that the average priced heat pump dryer versus the average priced condensing dryer would take six years to make up the price difference between them in fuel savings.

This is why I got a condenser.

It's a smart one. It only runs for the time it takes to get that particular load dry.
Also. A lot of my stuff I can't tumble dry anyway. I'd still go with a condenser.

Soldato
White knight tumble driers are by far the best in the market (I'm biast I've had one for 20+ years), British designed and manufactured, rock solid only ever had to replace a bearing or two on our vented drier in the last 10 years. It cost me £99 direct from White Knight and running costs include 4-3 hours of operation every weekday 18p per hour for a family of four.

Soldato
White knight tumble driers are by far the best in the market (I'm biast I've had one for 20+ years), British designed and manufactured, rock solid only ever had to replace a bearing or two on our vented drier in the last 10 years. It cost me £99 direct from White Knight and running costs include 4-3 hours of operation every weekday 18p per hour for a family of four.

You ever looked at the components of a vented dryer?

It's a heat element and a fan with a hole out the back. Every vented dryer works for 20 years as they are so simple! The point is they generally consume between 1.5 - 2.5 kw.

My heat pump dryer kicks out between 400-500w. Of course it won't last as long but they are sensibly priced now and it's nice not to depend on extraction for location. We picked up our A++ for just over 300 on a deal (of which there are many at the usual places) so it's not like theres a significant price difference these days anyway.

Back
Top Bottom