Video on NZXT H1 fire hazard

Soldato
Was looking at getting one of these to move a PC into once they started restocking them. Nice to finally have the info out there on why they pulled them from the market originally.

Associate
I have one of these from the first batch, contacted retailer and they said its fine, concerned I should change my case,psu and cooler. Should i?

Soldato
OP
Thanks, have requested a repair kit.

Apparently that's no good.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugx_12fzxDCbC2BEdUd4AaABCQ

Gamers Nexus said:
We were in private contact the last few days with NZXT and pressuring them to issue a full, formal recall and replacement of the PCIE riser, as we have a second video that is pretty damning of the design and the trigger for the fire in part 1. We have determined, as you'll see in our upcoming video, that in fact there is a 12V power plane within relatively close proximity to the screw hole in a manner which is capable of shorting 12V to ground and causing a fire. NZXT made a twitter statement publicly rather than replying to us properly. Amusingly, their statement almost word-for-word says part of what our emails did, but it's screwy to try and get in front of a story without even replying to the media partner who discovered the deeper issue. Further, the statement does not address our core concerns, and we believe it is a blatant PR play since they know we're publishing something, but it's hedging and didn't commit fully to a proper resolution of making new risers and removing all existing risers, where possible, from the field.
Our last email with NZXT told them that their response has been appalling and reminded them the gravity of a product that, with some connection cycles or perhaps a second-hand sale to an unwitting user in the future, could potentially catch fire. We're glad they're starting to listen, but are unsatisfied with the manner NZXT is handling this. Customers waiting 1month+ for plastic screws is bad, and that's not even the root cause of the issue. We still want to see a full replacement of these PCIe risers on the NZXT H1 case.
Part 2 was already produced, but NZXT published its statement after we gave them a courtesy notice. Rather than speaking with us candidly, the company ignored us for 7 days, then when I emailed the CEO personally, we got a garbage PR spin response that we challenged. NZXT then posted a twitter statement that is clearly an attempt to get ahead of this story -- but it is still not satisfactory to us. This is a serious issue.
More videos on this soon. It's the reason we skipped a few publication days.

Soldato
Why do people buy anything from this company
Their products are designed to be aesthetically pleasing above all else. Not my cup of tea, but I can see why other people like their designs. That alone's been enough to make them a major player, despite the frequently-dubious quality of their products. CAM by itself was enough to convince me that I'd never own any of their AIOs or "smart" cases though, so the free house fire with every purchase is just a cherry on the top.

Soldato
What's more shocking is the attitude they are showing and sheer utter disregard for the fact that this could kill someone or burn down houses. My pc is in a NZXT case and been looking at new cases and I certainly will not be looking at anymore of them.

Soldato
This is a good example of Chinese manufacturing. It's the things you can't see which are dodgy.

I took a Chinese made sound bar apart recently and they had wired the mains input against a sharp metal edge on the chassis, without any protection at all. So there is a risk the insulation gets worn through and the whole case becomes live. The unit looks great on the outside, but start taking it apart...

Back
Top Bottom