Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Anyone have/used a Sage Dual Boiler? I'm looking to upgrade my Silvia, and had initially dismissed the SDB as not being good enough compared to e61 HX/DB machines - but the more I read about it the more I think it ticks all the boxes for me. The biggest draw back for me is that it won't be/feel as special as a lump of shiny e61 stainless steel (and probably won't last as long).

Soldato
... sage dual tear-down https://youtu.be/LNZcCEMr7Z4?t=11 ... not sure the Sage Dual has beauty inside stainless boiler & few copper tubes ?; vs silvia ,
I have thought the PID'd hx machines like the bianca (those folks know their temperature control when you read the reviews), would be a better investment
profiling/longevity/residuals & attractive ... not sure if you want volumetric how much you must pay.

Soldato
... sage dual tear-down https://youtu.be/LNZcCEMr7Z4?t=11 ... not sure the Sage Dual has beauty inside stainless boiler & few copper tubes ?; vs silvia ,
I have thought the PID'd hx machines like the bianca (those folks know their temperature control when you read the reviews), would be a better investment
profiling/longevity/residuals & attractive ... not sure if you want volumetric how much you must pay.

Bianca is a dual boiler is it not? At £1800 it’s nearly double the price of the Sage DB but is on my list to look decide between amongst others. I am torn though, I appreciate the build quality and beauty of machines like the Bianca but I keep thinking the Sage ticks all my boxes and can be had far cheaper (especially 2nd hand).

Associate
Bianca is a dual boiler is it not? At £1800 it’s nearly double the price of the Sage DB but is on my list to look decide between amongst others. I am torn though, I appreciate the build quality and beauty of machines like the Bianca but I keep thinking the Sage ticks all my boxes and can be had far cheaper (especially 2nd hand).

have you looked at the Elizabeth ?

Soldato
have you looked at the Elizabeth ?

Yeah I have, I just really don't like the way it looks (the wife agrees so it's out). The ACS Minima has also been ruled out, partly on looks and partly because the one sided nature of it might be an issue in our kitchen.

For reference here's the list I've got:
- Sage DB
- Lelit Mara X
- Lelit Bianca
- Bezzera Magica PID
- Profitec 600

A bit of context - my current grinder is a Sette 270Wi and one of the reasons I haven't jumped to something like a Niche is the convenience it offers - which is where I think the Sage does well and this appeals to me. But the appeal of the more traditional e61 machines is not lost on me. I can see me upgrading my grinder as well if I went for an e61 machine! :p

Edit:

This is a reply from the founder of Decent, and it's sticking in the back of my head about the Sage:
For non-Decent, I am a fan of the Breville dual boiler. On sale, you can get it for less than USD$1000. It has built in preinfusion, and electrically heated group head, and stable water. I cry a bit every time someone buys an E61 for more money, as the BDB is just so much better, for about half the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
For reference here's the list I've got:
- Sage DB
- Lelit Mara X
- Lelit Bianca
- Bezzera Magica PID
- Profitec 600

Bianca is a dual boiler is it not? At £1800 it’s nearly double
wrong model name by me, I meant the lelit hx machine ~£1K a number of folks here have

I hadn't realised BDB has a heated head, agree e61 is not essential , to wit, the more pid'd/volumetric bezzeras and the (we are not worthy) marzocco linea/g3's.
I have a spot for Bezzera - an older hx, is my current partner.

Although steam boiler can be disabled , believe it or not electricity consumption would be one my issues for a DB, after I found my unisulated (did'n't see any on BDB)
hx was burning a >unit a day.

Soldato
Ah, the MaraX is what you were referring to I presume. That was where I started off, but there seems to be some 'teething' issues with it and some are having to go back to be replaced or repaired. Kind of puts me off a bit, or at least to wait a while for them to sort out the snagging issues.

With regards to DB's and electric consumption, I don't usually leave the machine on for more than a few hours - enough for a couple of drinks. I guess a quick warm up time might be of benefit here.

Aside from the Sage DB, the Bezzera interests me the most - I like the lever for steam instead of a knob and the PID is interesting as it's the brew temperature not the boiler temperature which seems quite unique for HX PID machines.

Soldato
Just started a subscription from 200degrees in Nottingham who roast locally. It's lovely stuff.

Thought I'd tried all the local roasteries....will give them a go too.

47 Degrees is my current go to, not far from Derby. Outpost in Nottingham I do like their coffees but they're bloody expensive.

Man of Honour
OP
Ah, the MaraX is what you were referring to I presume. That was where I started off, but there seems to be some 'teething' issues with it and some are having to go back to be replaced or repaired. Kind of puts me off a bit, or at least to wait a while for them to sort out the snagging issues.

It does look like they had a few initial problems but thats settled down a bit now as i can see. They have been very good at replacing or fixing peoples machines and seem to continue to develop the software - all in all can't fault mine so far :)

Soldato
It does look like they had a few initial problems but thats settled down a bit now as i can see. They have been very good at replacing or fixing peoples machines and seem to continue to develop the software - all in all can't fault mine so far :)

Cheers for the feedback, yeah I think they're just teething issues they need to work out.

Man of Honour
OP
@Siliconslave : You had a Gaggia classic before did you not? How's the steam on the lelit in comparison?

Afraid i'm not well placed to answer that as I didn't really use the steam on the gaggia - it does seem a lot more powerful on the MaraX though.

It's worth mentioning that the MaraX does some clever things to mitigate the heat exchanger downsides. In brew temperature priority mode the steam pressure is kept low initially so the brew head isn't overheated. Once you've pulled a shot the machine pushes the steam pressure up to allow you to steam your milk. When i've been trying to learn milk frothing it seems to work as intended and provides plenty of well pressured steam.

Worth also pointing out that you can run it as a standard HX machine and get all the steam you want :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Aside from the Sage DB, the Bezzera interests me the most
so sagedb does have volumetric of sorts.
okay, I re-read your post: if the two flow measurements are in fact made across the OVP, then they don't take into account any variation in the flow at the three way solenoid at all, it is invisible to the calculation. So you could have a great deal of variation in what happens at the puck that will not be accounted for, and so that would explain the inconsistency, and I'd wager that this degree of inconsistency would be larger than it would if the measurements were made at the input side and the output side of the of the three way valve (though this would still be inconsistent).

moreover, it links a wonderful blog on using similar flow meter on a classic http://int03.co.uk/blog/project-coffee-espiresso-machine/ etc etc.

How's the steam on the lelit in comparison?
steam on Bezzera hx goes on forever, and remains too powerful for me to deal with for frothing, will get the single hole at some point;
with an extension on nozzle it was great for defrosting the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom