New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
I can't find it, but aren't all monitors based on LG nano ips panel same? Lg would be perfect if they have 1000:1 contrast, even if they are slightly slower, i play horror games so it would be perfect. Too many drawbacks on IPS panels.

I dont know if the other panel is closer to 1000:1 but it is sRGB, I know I did it very recently in this thread. LG 27GL83A.

Personally i cannot tell the difference easily between my old IPS and my nano ips on contrast, I think 100:1 or so difference in contrast ratio in the grand scheme of things is small.

Rtings has it at 894:1 vs 735:1 on the 850.

Associate
@Mike
I don't have the sticky noise you mention but I discovered that mine has a slightly different noise coming from around the same area.
If I vibrate the desk slightly there is this sound as if a cable is hitting some plastic at the back of the monitor.
I can also provoke the sound by just pressing the plastic slightly underneath the front Dell logo.

I generally really like this monitor a lot and was it not for a few issues this particular monitor has and my entire experience I would be keeping it.

I am thinking of returning it and ordering the AW2721D instead.
Kinda wanted 240Hz to begin with but the price difference just seemed a little steep.

Soldato
So how would people who have this monitor sum it up? :) I'm thinking of an upgrade and I'm going round in circles with reviews. There isn't a "perfect" IPS screen that I can tell but this and the LG come close. Just a shame about the low contrast... but my current monitor lists 1000:1 so I can't see it being a problem. Is it an issue? I currently have a 27" Samsung S27H850 which is a PLS panel.

Hardware Unboxed did a review (sorry if already posted) - https://youtu.be/D3vbqyjgPpY - which I found very useful and informative. They recommend it "just" over the LG.

Decisions decisons...

EDIT: Does anyone have any pics of their setup with this monitor? :)

Soldato
So how would people who have this monitor sum it up? :) I'm thinking of an upgrade and I'm going round in circles with reviews. There isn't a "perfect" IPS screen that I can tell but this and the LG come close. Just a shame about the low contrast... but my current monitor lists 1000:1 so I can't see it being a problem. Is it an issue? I currently have a 27" Samsung S27H850 which is a PLS panel.

Hardware Unboxed did a review (sorry if already posted) - https://youtu.be/D3vbqyjgPpY - which I found very useful and informative. They recommend it "just" over the LG.

Decisions decisons...

EDIT: Does anyone have any pics of their setup with this monitor? :)

I came across an asus screen earlier, it got my attention because the person showed its OSD shows the chroma subsampling and colour bit rate been sent to screen.

I read the rtings review, and it is a wide gamut screen with 1000:1 contrast ratio, but the downside is DP 1.2 vs 1.4, and slower display performance (which I expect hardly anyone will notice).

Sadly has the pronged stand design :( https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-gaming-vg27aql1a

Personally the measured contrast difference vs standard IPS is not something I have noticed day to day.

Associate
Having had this monitor almost a week I really like it!
However I've decided to return it - and get me an AW2721D instead.

But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the S2721DGFA to anyone looking for a 27" IPS QHD monitor. I like the look of the monitor. I like the surface of the screen.
Mine has a small "defect" in the inner bezel just outside of the panel. I can't help but look at it all the time since it reflects light and looks like a pixel defect. But every time I look at it I marvel at how gourgeous I think the surface of the monitor is on the "inner bezel".

So I know I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I were to buy one in the future.

And yeah I think the Alienware is a lot of money!

Associate
I found my issue, described by another person here and I think it's the exact explanation: "Anyone having a strange cloudy feeling (like losing focus) when on white backgrounds with this one". I can't focus on the text properly and it appears blurry for some reason. Light color text on dark background is fine. But if the majority of the page has white background (like google search results) it's challenging to read the text, I feel dizzy and tired while trying to read the mentioned text. My monitor was delivered on 17th of December and I passed the legal return window (I was away when my monitor got delivered) so I will see if they will accept my condition as return or not. Fingers crossed.
Is by any chance this monitor delivered to Greece? I guess we have a defective batch if that's the case. Mine was made on Sep 2020. The feeling was like this: The white color looked REALLY weird, exactly as you describe, like a moire interference (check moire interference patterns and you'll understand), even with brightness at 0% and eye distance from the monitor of an arm's length. Dizziness in about 20-30 minutes, very heavy head, and for god's shake, it gave me a terrible nauseating vertigo, and imprisoned me in my room for 3 days straight without lights nor sound as I developed photophobia and phonophobia. Needless to say, I was really afraid of the monitor, and immediately returned it to Dell. Imagine getting a new monitor to help you with extended screen usage (like programming and gaming) and instead get ocular migraine, dizziness and nausea.

edit: Also, thank god there is another person that feels this, I thought I was going crazy. And since it's a common problem, they will certainly accept a return. I don't think they want to be responsible for health issues, these should not be taken lightly. To us it was just an eye strain and vertigo, on someone else it might trigger some epileptic seizure!

Last edited:
Associate
Is by any chance this monitor delivered to Greece? I guess we have a defective batch if that's the case. Mine was made on Sep 2020. The feeling was like this: The white color looked REALLY weird, exactly as you describe, like a moire interference (check moire interference patterns and you'll understand), even with brightness at 0% and eye distance from the monitor of an arm's length. Dizziness in about 20-30 minutes, very heavy head, and for god's shake, it gave me a terrible nauseating vertigo, and imprisoned me in my room for 3 days straight without lights nor sound as I developed photophobia and phonophobia. Needless to say, I was really afraid of the monitor, and immediately returned it to Dell. Imagine getting a new monitor to help you with extended screen usage (like programming and gaming) and instead get ocular migraine, dizziness and nausea.

edit: Also, thank god there is another person that feels this, I thought I was going crazy. And since it's a common problem, they will certainly accept a return. I don't think they want to be responsible for health issues, these should not be taken lightly. To us it was just an eye strain and vertigo, on someone else it might trigger some epileptic seizure!

I ordered the monitor from Ireland. Manufacture date was Nov 2020. I am not sure what's the exact problem was. Maybe it's because I sit front of a monitor after a month and that what made me feel dizy, or maybe it's the IPS panel, or the distance between me and the monitor. But they just accepted the return, and I sent it back via courier today. To be honest I didn't check if I got a replacement or refurbished unit of someone else's but long story short either my body or my setup wasn't suitable for this monitor. I realized that with 60-70 cm distance, this monitor (and perhaps other 27" monitors) is too close to sit by. And I am also quiet sensitive with this stuff, easily get motion sickness etc. so I am not exactly sure if the issue was the monitor or me, but like I said before for €400 monitor, I am not going to risk my health. As I look at the monitor more than 8 hours per day and if it makes me uncomfy just in 10 minutes, then it will get much worse over time.

Moire interference might be the issue with the monitor (or maybe not) but even with 0 brightness, it was challenging to read black text on white background.

Associate
How do you check if you have received a replacement or refurbished unit ?

I mentioned it to the Dell representative when I called but she somehow avoided answering.

Associate
To be fair, no idea. I ordered mine at mid november, my delivery date postponed to mid december. My monitor went into production on 14th of December left the production very next day and I got the unit at 17th. When I got the monitor it said “production date nov 2020”. So either they are not honest with production dates or they are shipping out returned units.

I don’t think there is any problem with getting returned unit as long as it doesn’t have any defects, in any case you have 3 years warranty for the unit.

Associate
Greetings everyone! Mine came two days ago. Gave me a terrible headache, eye strain and dizziness, even at 20% brightness. After feeling terribly nauseated I immediately disconnected and put it back in the box. Got to admit though the image was fantastic and games where running smoothly. Really sad that I'll have to return it. Got zero bad pixels and low blb... Anyone having a strange cloudy feeling (like losing focus) when on white backgrounds with this one?

This happened to me when I got mine back in Oct. However, after a while I got used to it and the headaches and dizziness went.

Permabanned
I've got this monitor a few days ago after upgrading from a TN 1080p 144hz panel. The difference is quite big in an amazing way, never knew IPS made such a big difference. It took some adjusting with ICC profiles and having more than one preset with a FPS and custom standard mode in order to get most out of it. I've used this guy's ICC profile after watching his review of the monitor. Can I ask, those who kept the monitor, what are your settings and tips?

Permabanned
It's not out of stock on the manufacturer website. Anyone still looking to grab one PM me and can share how to get one and even with a discount, that's how I got mine.

Soldato
i appreciate it varies monitor to monitor - but does anyone have a set of decent config instructions? I have it set to Custom Colour mode on the monitor but do I use Custom Color mode in the AMD Radeon software? I've currently got the gain at
R 98
G 96
B 98

brightness around 50

and that's it otherwise. Just seems everything I try either makes the monitor seem over saturated, or the colours are fine but the whites are overbright, or dull. The white is so glowy and bright it's almost unusable as an office monitor without cranking the brightness down that it looks grey. I must be doing something wrong.

Do I need 2 presets? One for gaming and one for office? I've never used IPS before so maybe I just need to get used to it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom