Affordable WiFi 6 router?

Soldato
I am currently using an Honour 3 in a 2 bed flat. Internet speed is only ~36mbps so not really utilising it to the full capacity but it is a significant improvement of the standard Sky Hub. It is has been rock solid, no reboots required and most importantly, everything actually connects to it. My AV receiver (Denon 2400) absolutely refused to connect to the Skyhub.

I am looking to buy a house later this year and will definitely consider taking the Honour 3 with me and even potentially running a second one in Mesh (definitely if I get the property I want with a garden office...).

Associate
Do the parental controls work on the Honor? I want to disable internet access to my childrens devices every day for a set time.

I had a TP Link VRF2800 but its going back today as the parental controls did nothing and it kept dropping browsing sessions.

Soldato
Do the parental controls work on the Honor? I want to disable internet access to my childrens devices every day for a set time.

Yes. Its effectively MAC address filtering prettied up to present the name of the device and you tick the device and set the access times. I've only just tried it in the last hour or so but it definitely seems to work.

Associate
Yes. Its effectively MAC address filtering prettied up to present the name of the device and you tick the device and set the access times. I've only just tried it in the last hour or so but it definitely seems to work.

Thats good to hear and thanks for testing. I assume I should be able to attach the Honor to a Vodafone hub and setup accordingly?

Soldato
I assume I should be able to attach the Honor to a Vodafone hub and setup accordingly?

If you're happy to accept double NAT then yes, in theory. And you'll probably have to change the default DHCP IP address range on one of them as I think they both default to 192.168.1.x so you'll need to change one or the other. IT's probably easier to change the existing Vodafone one to give the Honor a WAN IP address other than 192.168.1.x.

Associate
If you're happy to accept double NAT then yes, in theory. And you'll probably have to change the default DHCP IP address range on one of them as I think they both default to 192.168.1.x so you'll need to change one or the other. IT's probably easier to change the existing Vodafone one to give the Honor a WAN IP address other than 192.168.1.x.

Shouldn't be a problem. The Vodafone router doesn't have a modem only mode so I'll shutdown none essential services and use the Honor for most of the traffic. Ordered and will be here tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Associate
Installed the Honor 3 yesterday. All I can say is thats its such a refreshing change to buy something that actual works as intended. Its just managing the wifi side for now as I was short on time so plugged into the Vodafone router on LAN (Voda wifi is completely off) with my wired network still connected directly to the Voda router.

Really good interface and quick too. Very good set of tools including parental and per device bandwidth controls. It makes the Voda and previous TP Link router look completely outdated.

Thanks for the heads up for the Honor

Associate
Question: what second hand router does modem only mode properly to replace my Vodafone wifi hub? I have the username/password for my router so can use another model. I just want to have the Honor 3 in control of the wired and wireless and not have a 'mixed' network (trying to keep it simple).

Soldato
Openreach ECI 061513 (1b) or Huawei HG612 modem will work. Should be £10-£20 on the 'bay. Also Draytek Vigor 130 but that's £85 new so £40 used for no appreciable benefit.

You'll need your PPPoE login details from Vodafone if you don't already have them.

Associate
Openreach ECI 061513 (1b) or Huawei HG612 modem will work. Should be £10-£20 on the 'bay. Also Draytek Vigor 130 but that's £85 new so £40 used for no appreciable benefit.

You'll need your PPPoE login details from Vodafone if you don't already have them.

Perfect - thank you for all the advice and assistance. I have the PPPoE details so good to go.

Associate
Upgrading my network in the summer with a UNifi 6 LR (currently using Unifi AC lite) Only have 3 clients at the moment in the PS5, my ASUS G14 and Desktop.

I was going to wait until A WIFI 6e variant but can't be bothered.

Soldato
WiFi6e is going to be interesting seeing how it is marketed because of the exceptionally poor penetration of 6GHz signals. It will only really be usable in the same room as the access point. That's OK in a large open-plan office or maybe a loft-style flat but in a typical UK home with lots of tiny rooms it's a disaster.

The U6-LR is probably the optimum in the Unifi range at the moment as it comfortably outperforms all other access points with up to 30 clients in both AX and 4x4 AC mode. But it doesn't take a genius to realise that they need an access point that can handle more than 30 WiFi6 clients and that will need either a second 1Gbps port for aggregation or a multi-gig port (2.5GbE, 5GbE or 10GbE). And that access point isn't on the horizon at the moment, so keep your money in your pocket if you really want the KING of WiFi6(e) access points. You're probably looking at this time next year before you can buy that access point given that it's not even released to Early Access yet and that's usually 6-9 months of testing then another couple of months to actually get them in stores.

Soldato
Bizarre that you should mention that. I've literally just done a job where we installed a 60GHz mirror (obviously not an actual mirror) to bounce an 802.11ad signal from a farmhouse, around a barn, and towards another house. 2Gbps link over 600m. Mikrotik at their best!

Associate
Managed to bag myself a Asus RT-AX82U for £110 yesterday from amazon Spain, pretty chuffed with that, initial reviews look very good.

Back
Top Bottom