Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Associate
Great stuff. Did find it odd that they’d have removed the rear bungee.

The only thing I’d suggest would be to try and re-tie the front bungeee as I find them a little slack and I find flasks etc slide out easily which they don’t do on my other boards.

Went for the canal again but it was frozen :(

Yes may have to tweak the bungee tension. Will also definite need a shorter fin than the 9" one.....something around 6-7" ideally for use on the canal.

Sorry to hear canal frozen again your end:(. Good weather conditions this end however found partly frozen upon checking on my walk...not ideal for my first launch will wait:)

Soldato
Ah shame, i find if it's partly frozen then it's not too bad and you can crush it easy enough (maybe just use an old paddle).

I was worried when i was out in around 5-10mm thick ice as when it broke it become quite sharp and shard like, but fortunately i didn't suffer any punctures.

How come you think you'd need a shorter fin? My 9" one is great for the canal i find.

Associate
Yes breaking the ice is certainly doable...I just was aiming for less hazzards what with the new board. Splash! :p

My 10ft board fin is 7 inch dolphin and will occasionally bottom out on obstacles and at low water levels, will also get the odd wack at the canal structures. Can also pick up a lot weed in the summer months. Will see how I get on with the 9" but can see issues + guess a shorter length will impact on performance.

Associate

Quite a difference in the design between the 2: hatchet vs dolphin. Am expecting a huge leap in tracking performance but at the expense of maneuverability. The US box fin is also new to me...very fiddly with the screw & plate fixing vs the quick release I am used to.
Should be an interesting first paddle.

Associate
..Wasn't planning to head out today but noticed conditions looked ideal after mid-morning so took opportunity to get an hour in up & down a few times on the canal cut (no flow here as it is the start of the canal before it enters the river canal proper)

No issues with the 5 min walk down.. lighter board helped but had to take a little extra care with the length

Only v slightly tippy compared to my 10' board and obv takes longer to negotiate turns but really enjoyed the first session out.....tracks well nice compared to my 10' board. V happy with the 27" width & feel most suited to it. Look forward to getting out on the main stretches soon & seeing how it handles on the upstream.

Soldato
I was surprised with the stability of the 27" too as you'd be able to see from my initial comments. I think you think of a 32" board as some safety net and anything less as a death trap, but once you actually get on it then you realise it's actually perfectly fine. I suspect your weight aswell must help.

Glad you're happy.

Associate
Good stuff, step up to a longer board is single best upgrade you can ever make
Yes very happy with the 14' and the length is actually more manageable than i envisioned.
I was surprised with the stability of the 27" too as you'd be able to see from my initial comments. I think you think of a 32" board as some safety net and anything less as a death trap, but once you actually get on it then you realise it's actually perfectly fine. I suspect your weight aswell must help.
Glad you're happy.
Can be somewhat tricky decision when there is no option to test & really appreciate your advice as an owner. Many thanks:)
My Board has been shipped. Won't be able to use it for sometime I fear but, it will be ready for me I suppose!
You have done well to get one now .. especially with "staycation uk 2021" expected they will no doubt end up sold out again which is how I got caught out last year. Hopefully not too long until you are on the water .....In the meantime when arrives pump up (for testing purposes) and get some pics up

Associate
OP
Mine has come. Will get pictures up next time I’m on the PC (can’t work out how to share from an iPhone using imgur).

really pleased with it, roll on giving it a proper go!

Associate
Mine has come. Will get pictures up next time I’m on the PC (can’t work out how to share from an iPhone using imgur).

really pleased with it, roll on giving it a proper go!

Well done yes get some pics up.....is it your first board? I remember when got my first board had it set up in the lounge on footstools to work out how to use the paddle what with being self taught from youtube videos etc

Got out today for 3 hour was good fun...did 3 different rivers (2 rivers and river canal) & had to get up extra early to clear slippery mud off a couple of pontoons now that levels have retreated. Really enjoying the new board and gave it a good wash wax when got home....didn't get much else done today lol:)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well done yes get some pics up.....is it your first board? I remember when got my first board had it set up in the lounge on footstools to work out how to use the paddle what with being self taught from youtube videos etc

first board but, I have dabbled with paddle boards. I am a paddlesport instructor but, mainly focusing on canoe and kayak.

Associate
OP
Great stuff, i've seen you run around the docks (i think), can you not get down there with your board in the current situation?

@ThriceNightly sounds like a great trip out. You live in a great area to have such a range of water options!

Yes, thats me. Not at the moment but, as soon as the club reopens I can get back on the water there.

Soldato
Yes, thats me. Not at the moment but, as soon as the club reopens I can get back on the water there.

Have you managed to get out yet?

My dads sending me photos from the beach in Spain. 2 guys on hydro foils but with a built in propeller on the shaft. I bet that's amazing fun, although i don't fancy my chances of staying on for long!

The weather also looks amazing and it's making me very jealous.

Man of Honour
My dads sending me photos from the beach in Spain. 2 guys on hydro foils but with a built in propeller on the shaft. I bet that's amazing fun, although i don't fancy my chances of staying on for long!

E-foil. I massively want one. The best which are liftfoil and fliteboard are 10k plus then you have emerging ones 3-7k some of which have very bad rep for reliability. I really want to get one but going to let the more sensbile end of the market sort itself out reliability wise.

I got out for the first time in ages on Sunday. River is still faily highh and fast but not so bad. Was great to get out. My wife spotted a seal few days ago so hoping to make a paddling friend.

Man of Honour
Takuma seem like the best of the second tier. Around £7k ish I think. There are new entrants coming that are cheaper. I was hopeful waydoo would be good and at £3k or so much closer to a sensible purchase. Loads of complaints about the first batch relaibility.

Back
Top Bottom