Advice on Parts for my Case

Man of Honour
Hi I have the NZXT H1 Mini ITX case which comes with power supply and AIO liquid cooler for the CPU. I plan on buying a RTX3600ti or 3700 when one comes available. I will be playing 1440p.

Could I please have some advice on the following

What motherboard would be best for this case. I note that the case has a usb c port on the top. Would I need a special header on the mother board?

What is the best ram to use? I think 16gb is fine.

Which processor? I would like a Ryzen i think and I was thinking 3600x?

What storage is recommended? I would like 1TB of quick storage, is this M.2?

Would I need additional cooling?

The budget is flexible

I'm hoping someone can help me finally get this build together.

Associate
"What is the best ram to use? I think 16gb is fine."

Slimline RAM, like Corsair LPX may be good for an ITX build. No RGB and solid.

▷ Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3200… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £99.99 quite expensive at moment. Was about £71.00.

"Which processor? I would like a Ryzen i think and I was thinking 3600x?"

I would not bother with the 3600X unless it is the same price or cheaper than standard 3600 CPU. You can overclock and save money.

▷ AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4)… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £188.99

"What storage is recommended? I would like 1TB of quick storage, is this M.2?"

NVME M2 storage is an excellent option for fast reliable storage in 2021. The one linked is very popular. Your motherboard will need the required connector on it. Not the fastest but pretty good and value for money.

▷ WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Sol… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £94.99

"I plan on buying a RTX3600ti or 3700"

You need to be selective on the right graphics card some of the new cards are very large, so measuring the case and card is vital. Plus heat issues may arise.

Soldato
Ryzen 5600X is the best six core CPU.
Though if you want PC to last long at good level in gaming without upgrade, then 8 core would be in order.
That's what new consoles have.
Pretty much non boosting variant of Ryzen 3700X.
So heavier games of the future will be core hungry.

Man of Honour
OP
Ryzen 5600X is the best six core CPU.
Though if you want PC to last long at good level in gaming without upgrade, then 8 core would be in order.
That's what new consoles have.
Pretty much non boosting variant of Ryzen 3700X.
So heavier games of the future will be core hungry.

So you would recommend the 3700x? If I want to be future proof? Which I do.

Soldato
So you would recommend the 3700x? If I want to be future proof? Which I do.
Because of notably improved Zen3 architecture six core 5600X beats previous architecture 8 core in nearly everything.
8 core Zen2 can beat it only in fully multithreaded stuff without limitations in parallelism. (something games are opposite of)

Man of Honour
OP
Because of notably improved Zen3 architecture six core 5600X beats previous architecture 8 core in nearly everything.
8 core Zen2 can beat it only in fully multithreaded stuff without limitations in parallelism. (something games are opposite of)

Sorry, so which CPU would you recommend? The 5600x?

Associate
Sorry, so which CPU would you recommend? The 5600x?

The 5600 X is a great chip for current games . But it is £299.99 and you would have to check your motherboard will use it without a Bios update or has bios flashback. Some MSI boards have it. Bios flashing without a CPU and just a USB dongle/power supply.

The 3600 is Zen 2, slower in gaming but £188.99. But likely to work with your motherboard out of the box.

Both are 6 core/12 thread chips. Both have their supporters. Many will advise you go 8 core.

Man of Honour
OP
The 5600 X is a great chip for current games . But it is £299.99 and you would have to check your motherboard will use it without a Bios update or has bios flashback. Some MSI boards have it. Bios flashing without a CPU and just a USB dongle/power supply.

The 3600 is Zen 2, slower in gaming but £188.99. But likely to work with your motherboard out of the box.

Both are 6 core/12 thread chips. Both have their supporters. Many will advise you go 8 core.

Ok, thank you for taking the time to answer. I will do a bit more research on my needs and make a choice.

Man of Honour
OP
According to the internet, the MSI B550I will work with Ryzen 5600x with BIOS 7C92v14. It says that the motherboard has:
  • Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS without Installing the CPU, Memory and Graphics Card.
So I think I'm ok to buy the 5600x, great.

Soldato
According to the internet, the MSI B550I will work with Ryzen 5600x with BIOS 7C92v14. It says that the motherboard has:
  • Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS without Installing the CPU, Memory and Graphics Card.
So I think I'm ok to buy the 5600x, great.
Most MSI boards since the B450's have had the flash back facility - all of the Mini ITX flavours did (The B450 M-itx arguably being the best B450 on the market for VRMs) and it's the same for the B550s re flash back and again, on the whole, their B550/X570 range review very well (X570/B550 Tomahawk).

You may find the board has the revised BIOS out of the box, depending on manufacturing date/turn over rate. But, if it doesn't, it's a simple process if you take your time and follow instructions to the letter (ideally use a pen drive under 16Gb - preferably 8GB to do the flash).

Associate
Most MSI boards since the B450's have had the flash back facility - all of the Mini ITX flavours did (The B450 M-itx arguably being the best B450 on the market for VRMs) and it's the same for the B550s re flash back and again, on the whole, their B550/X570 range review very well (X570/B550 Tomahawk).

You may find the board has the revised BIOS out of the box, depending on manufacturing date/turn over rate. But, if it doesn't, it's a simple process if you take your time and follow instructions to the letter (ideally use a pen drive under 16Gb - preferably 8GB to do the flash).

I used FAT 32 pen drive 16 Gig, worked fine twice.

Associate
Have you applied the fix to your case to reduce the risk of fire before you use it? https://youtu.be/9XIKOSrQdQ0

There aren't bad b550i itx motherboards, I have the Gigabyte one which gives the best cpu performance, but it doesn't have a connector for front usb c, it is just on the back. Q flash back worked first time for me updating the bios. https://youtu.be/CGIGFX1W9wg?t=915

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...-am4-b550-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-58x-gi.html

Buy a Ryzen 3600 or 5600x depending on your budget. The difference between them isn't usually massive at the 1440p that you want to play at compared to 1080p
https://youtu.be/-pRI7vXh0JU?t=726

Back
Top Bottom