• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

In a few mins you will have a chance to grab a 6800 or 3060Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi there

Yes nearly all cards sold now, plus our cost prices this week have rockets across all GPU's, were finding it pretty baffling as to why to be honest, pound strongest its been but 3080's are around £100 more expensive compared to last week and closer to around £150-200 compared to launch.

We had this where I work (an industrial IT distributor) from a big Taiwanese manufacturer we work with:

˙Rise in raw material prices (est.10%)
˙Extended lead time (est. 16-20 weeks)
˙Freight charge increases (est. 200%)
˙USD depreciation (7% from 2020.01)

Associate
you're not really answering my question:

a) are initial batches of reference cards - sold at etailers like like overclockers - purchased at MSRP?
b) do we then see prices inflate to whatever the market will bear - usually as reference cards are replaced by AIB cards?

if the answer to both of the above is "yes", i have questions:

1. what makes it both possible (and legal) for those first batches of cards to be sold at MSRP - rather than the GibboBrexitCaronaSupplychainproblems price?
2. is this effect tied to reference cards - and what does it mean if AMD continue to ship reference cards?

Soldato
The 6800's still in stock after an hour and I'm so tempted to give AMD a try but I don't know who to trust if the whole "Bad drivers" from AMD is still a thing these days. I've read a lot saying they're trash and others saying "Give them 3 months and they'll iron out the issues" with new cards.

It's a load of rubbish, a nonsense spouted by NV fanbois. Never had a single issue with drivers in the last 5 years I had an AMD card. Now on NV and no problems either.

Soldato
The cards should all be on the MM page for 48 hours, especially now the 3D Printer ruse is busted, those that don't sell can go back on sale to the Gen Pub/Bots.

That way, loyal customers get their cards which in turn helps OCUK in the long run.

Not sure why this obvious course of action hasn't been taken already.

:)

Associate
The cards should all be on the MM page for 48 hours, especially now the 3D Printer ruse is busted, those that don't sell can go back on sale to the Gen Pub/Bots.

That way, loyal customers get their cards which in turn helps OCUK in the long run.

Not sure why this obvious course of action hasn't been taken already.

:)

And if you have been buying from OC for years but only recently signed up for the forum?

Soldato
They could have a section in the MM for registered forum members and remove the post count restriction just for the sale of the cards. Like a subsection of the MM. Whether they would be up for policing the accounts to stop bots creeping in etc not sure.

Associate
you're not really answering my question:

a) are initial batches of reference cards - sold at etailers like like overclockers - purchased at MSRP?
b) do we then see prices inflate to whatever the market will bear - usually as reference cards are replaced by AIB cards?

if the answer to both of the above is "yes", i have questions:

1. what makes it both possible (and legal) for those first batches of cards to be sold at MSRP - rather than the GibboBrexitCaronaSupplychainproblems price?
2. is this effect tied to reference cards - and what does it mean if AMD continue to ship reference cards?

a) Etailers buy from suppliers (so a middle man) AMD are currently selling at MSRP $ to £ live rates, just random stock drops. (again use a distributor but no retailer markup to be paid)
b) The UK is a "Free Market Economy" so prices can be anything. Up to the buyer if they agree to it.

1) In the past Overclockers have been given the first patch of cards at a lower price or rebate from the supplier. An example of that was the RX 480 4GB i bought under £180 day one and 2nd patch went up. Same with my Vega 64 too. So nothing new there.
2) It blow-up regarding the reference cards last month on twitter:
https://twitter.com/sherkelman/stat...ndefinitely-after-reports-of-discontinuation/

Hope this explains the current position. Nothing new really for me been over 20 years into this BS. Long and short of it retailers can charge whatever they like as long as they don't price fix with other retailers. (which wasn't what I wasn't implying as the comment you replied on was off the back of a previous comment)

Soldato
They could have a section in the MM for registered forum members and remove the post count restriction just for the sale of the cards. Like a subsection of the MM. Whether they would be up for policing the accounts to stop bots creeping in etc not sure.

I don't think they should, as it would get swamped by new sign-ups. To me, people who contribute to the forum and have done for years should take precedence and have first dibs on extremely limited stock. I'm not saying this to benefit myself, I got my card in early December, before anyone asks...;)

Soldato
MY old R9 390 is back and the 5700XT sold at auction for over £500. Not gonna bother with an upgrade until prices or supply are back down to normal. I can wait until next gen if I have to. There are too many impatient people feeding the scalpers.

Soldato
That’s fine. They are too expensive already. Now they will just be Super too expensive.

If people keep buying them (which of course they will, we all love this hobby too much) then I can’t see the situation improving at all.

Soldato
I don't think they should, as it would get swamped by new sign-ups. To me, people who contribute to the forum and have done for years should take precedence and have first dibs on extremely limited stock. I'm not saying this to benefit myself, I got my card in early December, before anyone asks...;)

This was suggested before Xmas and the lynching mob from the non MM brigade were out in force and caused a riot. I think the threads got closed or deleted.

Gibbo hinted at this before Xmas its not just GPU's its memory price in general is going up sometime Q1 2021 due to a shortage.

Caporegime
That’s fine. They are too expensive already. Now they will just be Super too expensive.

If people keep buying them (which of course they will, we all love this hobby too much) then I can’t see the situation improving at all.
Yeah it literally makes no difference to me - I wasn't buying at the old prices.

Now it's just a matter of how much lulz will be had as the prices rise. Will we have the comedy gold of RX 580s reaching £500? Could happen!

Soldato
Yeah it literally makes no difference to me - I wasn't buying at the old prices.

Now it's just a matter of how much lulz will be had as the prices rise. Will we have the comedy gold of RX 580s reaching £500? Could happen!

I bought a reference 6800 from eBay soon after launch, felt terrible paying £650 for one from a scalper. It’s now looking like a pretty good deal haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom