*** Show us your Dogs ***

Caporegime
I have a 8 year old Labrador, and we got a Viszla in September 2020.

Our Vizsla puppy is 6 months old and from the day she arrived she basically took a liking to our Labradors poo, and will eat it any chance she gets. We literally have to go in the garden and stand next to our labrador as she poos to pick it up straight away, but that's not always practical

Any idea how I can stop this behaviour?

Soldato

Our Vizsla puppy is 6 months old and from the day she arrived she basically took a liking to our Labradors poo, and will eat it any chance she gets. We literally have to go in the garden and stand next to our labrador as she poos to pick it up straight away, but that's not always practical

Apparently putting pineapple in the dogs food will make their poo taste horrible I've read :eek:
Horrendous behaviour though!

Soldato

Sometimes they do grow out of it but there are a few things you can try
1. Watch when they go out if you see her look like she's going to do it - stop her and tell her very firmly "no!" - you have to catch them though and stop before they do it. That means braving the January weather when you don't want to.
2. Check for any dietary issues. A lot of dog kibble has lots of fibre in it to pad it out and it goes through them very quickly. This can mean that they feel that they arent getting enough sustenance. Vislas are hyper by nature normally and will need a higher protein mix. I feed my weimaraner and GSD Guru pet food which is cold pressed and not so full of grain plus the volume is less
3. If it persists you might want to check out for any underlying health matters

At six months you are on the brink of the tough period and in my experience high drive dogs like Viszlas can need a firm hand so good luck

Permabanned
Depraved appetites are often caused by the donor of the morsels being fed too rich a diet that their digestive system fails to fully absorb. Try changing the Labrador's diet to something less rich. Some dogs grow out of this, some don't. I am sure on the Viszla Pup Forum some of your habits are under scrutiny, too ;) What's disgusting to us is a tasty treat for a dog, and sometimes you just have to tut and avoid any kisses from the miscreant. You MIGHT be able stop it with patient long lead training, and almost certainly with a shock collar if it really bugs you. I think you'll find the temperaments of a Viszla and a Lab' are very very different....Prey drive can be high and sometimes hard to check reliably. :)

Soldato
lil.jpg

Lilly and Daisy. Sisters from same litter.

Associate
vFalvlF.jpg

OgG8rlb.jpg

LJQiBvc.jpg

We’ve welcomed a new addition to the pack a few weeks ago. Meet Rudin. It’s a bit of a shell shock going from almost 9 and 7 year old dogs back to puppy training but we are getting there!

We now have Hilbert (9yrs old in April), Hardy (7yrs old in April) and Rudin (4 months). Bonus prize for anyone who knows where the names come from. :D

Back
Top Bottom