**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
London is getting proper photogrammetry, should be as good as any other photogrammetry city.

This massive update contains new aerials, new DEM, over 70 POIs, 5 airports, two landing challenges, and will also introduce 5 brand-new photogrammetry cities for your enjoyment. Unfortunately, these new cities are causing a slight delay… it’s a new process and data source for us and the tools have to be updated for these cities to integrate seamlessly into the sim. The Bing Maps team is working hard to make this happen and the data provider, Bluesky, is helping as well. We believe that the remaining issues will be resolved within a few days so we are targeting the release one week later than originally planned. We apologize about the delay, but are convinced that it will be worth the wait … and that a full 3D London is a critical element of this release.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
London is getting proper photogrammetry, should be as good as any other photogrammetry city.

This massive update contains new aerials, new DEM, over 70 POIs, 5 airports, two landing challenges, and will also introduce 5 brand-new photogrammetry cities for your enjoyment. Unfortunately, these new cities are causing a slight delay… it’s a new process and data source for us and the tools have to be updated for these cities to integrate seamlessly into the sim. The Bing Maps team is working hard to make this happen and the data provider, Bluesky, is helping as well. We believe that the remaining issues will be resolved within a few days so we are targeting the release one week later than originally planned. We apologize about the delay, but are convinced that it will be worth the wait … and that a full 3D London is a critical element of this release.

Should just have downloaded the data from Google Earth like everyone else is doing!

Soldato
I've flown as copilot a few times with a friend in the fbw mod airbus using 'your controls' for shared cockpit. Last night we added vatsim into the mix which was terrifying for me as a noob.

I was little more than a passenger to be honest but I did take control for the landing. Despite having a text book ils approach with no crosswind I managed to royally fudge it up and put the wheels through the wings.

Most enjoyable.

Soldato
And still no helichoppers.

Think that's a long way out... I can't remember exactly but I think the suggestion was 2022 sort of timeframe.

I just watched the latest live dev video, really interesting one. I very much like the sound of all the performance wins they've managed to find while developing the Xbox series X version, especially considering they insist it's not at the cost of fidelity - they even specified a 4x speedup on trees.

The other thing I found really interesting was that two of the three, one of which was the big man Jorg, say they only play in VR now. Quite funny given they didn't even initially plan to add it any time soon, and gives me a lot of hope for the future of VR in this sim. They made quite a few good noises about VR in general imo.

Soldato
I'm confused about my heading. I've being playing the training scenarios and got to the point of making a flight to another runway. I'm given headings but I feel the game didn't do a whole lot to explain this to me. What am I looking? If it say 41 degrees, where am I looking on the dials to get myself on the right track?

Soldato
When given a heading, you fly the compass value which you would normally read off the direction indicator (DI) as flying off an actual compass is a ballache. The DI is set and checked periodically using the compass, but is a gyroscopic instrument that is much more convenient to actually fly off.

So “fly heading 090 degrees” would mean they want you to fly due east, or 090 degrees on the compass/DI.

Where that instrument is found will vary depending on what plane you are talking about, for glass cockpits like the airbus it’s easy, you don’t have a DI as such, just a heading strip normally found on the bottom of the PFD. On a G1000 you have a digital rendition of a DI style instrument on the lower portion of the PFD. For traditional cockpits the DI will normally form part of the “6 pack” of main flight instruments. Some might only have the compass if they are really stripped back.

It will typically look like a plane surrounded by compass points, but the exact look varies. Here it is in the middle of the bottom row. In the example above you would just turn such that the 9 is at the top bug so that the nose is pointing at it (it’s usually in tens of degrees, so 9 is 090 degrees, 18 is 180 degrees etc).

Indexing is normal at 5 degree spacing - short line is a 5, long line is a 10 degree point (so for example the first short line clockwise from “12” would be 125 degrees, while the first long line would be 130 degrees.

IMG_5437.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
@Zeeflyboy thank you! So in your example image, 090 would be 9 on the dial? if so I think that's what's throwing me off as I could never find a dial with the numbers they tell me.

I think I've overflown where I'm supposed to be heading.. didn't see the place they mentioned, how do I correct my location? Now I'm just aimlessly heading in one direction, probably getting further and further away.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Zeeflyboy thank you! So in your example image, 090 would be 9 on the dial?

Yup.

I think I've overflown where I'm supposed to be heading.. didn't see the place they mentioned, how do I correct my location? Now I'm just aimlessly heading in one direction, probably getting further and further away.

No idea given I don’t know the thing you are referring to. Turn 180 and fly back the way you came would seem a safe bet!

In real life if you became lost while VFR you have several routes to finding your position available to you, in some random MSFS tutorial with no context, not so much perhaps. If you pull up the VFR map from the contextual menu it may show a waypoint. Zoom out if need be.

Back
Top Bottom