30W Neje Diode laser for etching/cutting

Associate
So this is my little Neje diode laser setup, originally a 20W model but recently upgraded to a 30W module (30W input which is about 7.5W optical output power). I screwed the base down onto an alloy plate which has small rubber feet stuck to the bottom, and when I want to use it then it sits nicely on the bed of my Artillery Sidewinder X1 3D printer. It can be quickly lifted off when I want to use the printer and is able to use the same air extractor that I have running when using the printer - that's really a must to get rid of smoke and fumes. The X1 uses Octoprint and a camera so that same camera is used to monitor the laser job obviating the need to ever look at the laser when it's operating.

The 30W module was supposedly a simple plug-in upgrade (according to the seller when I asked) but it was far from it! Significant modification of the mounting bracket was required to get it set into the right position, and after that the left-hand acrylic panel needed cutting for extra clearance because this is a 40x40mm casing and with the extra bracket it sticks out further.

Initial tests proved this laser module was indeed higher power and could cut 3mm ply easily, yet still offered good PWM control to produce nice engravings. What it really needed was an 'air-assist' mechanism to direct a jet of air at the point where the laser was doing its work. This makes a big differrence to the cutting efficiency because it removes smoke and ash which otherwise blocks penetration of the focussed laser beam.The design specs says this capability is designed in - operating from the main cooling fan on top, in practice this is a complete fail because not only is the air flow not focussed where needed it is not controllable by the user (it's variable and only comes on when the module gets very hot). So a separate system was required that utilised an external compressor and some sort of pipe. I tried routing an external tube down the outside but the result was ugly and tricky to get positioned so it pointed near vertical as possible onto the work area. There had to be a better way!

I disassembled the module casing for a better look, thinking I could route the tube inside the housing somehow, then realised there was enough metal thickness to drill down the length and pass the air through and along the housing itself, the actual jet of air being supplied by a short length of shaped 1/8" copper tube inserted into the bore. The air inlet was threaded into the side of the housing mating with the internal drilling (which didn't reach all the way to the top). The photos explain better than words!

One other point worth noting, when the actual diode holder was removed from the aluminium extrusion housing there was no heatsink compound to be seen - that severely reduced the cooling efficiency of the whole module+fan (and heat is the main killer of these diodes). Really daft situation and of course I added some when it was reassembled.

Associate
OP
Chris you tried it on any thin carbon sheet, wonder what power you need to cut 3-4mm carbon.

Never tried it but from what I've seen on YouTube you need a CO2 laser >40W to get through it. A diode won't have enough power. Milling it out on a simple CNC router is certainly possible though (but you have to avoid exposure to the dust!)

Associate
OP
Home made nail board using lots of thumb tacks stuck to an aluminium plate using hot glue. Works well - and no, the laser doesn't melt the glue underneath :) It does reflect the light though and that actually makes it easier to confirm you've cut right through as the light makes it obvious.

Edit: also now fitted the upgrade G8 lens to this 30W module I had originally bought for the 20W model. That offers a slightly smaller spot size and better cutting/engraving performance.

Last edited:
Associate
I know it's a bit of a thread resurrection but just wondering how the laser is going?

I have just bought the 30w to fit to my 3018pro - never used a laser before but like the idea of being able to use it on differing materials.

Question how or what did you use for your air assist? I see you have drilled through the laser, not sure I'll be brave enough to do that - did you try any other way before doing this?

What materials have you tried the laser on? What would you recommend to start with?

Am sure I'll have loads more questions.

Matt

Associate
OP
I know it's a bit of a thread resurrection but just wondering how the laser is going?

I have just bought the 30w to fit to my 3018pro - never used a laser before but like the idea of being able to use it on differing materials.

Question how or what did you use for your air assist? I see you have drilled through the laser, not sure I'll be brave enough to do that - did you try any other way before doing this?

What materials have you tried the laser on? What would you recommend to start with?

Am sure I'll have loads more questions.

Matt

I tried attaching a tube down the outside first using a 3D printed bracket (several designs actually) but end result was untidy and I just couldn't get the angle right. In theory it should be possible with bends made in the right places (you want the jet of air coming down near vertical preferably so it reaches the bottom of a deep cut). I had used a blunt hypodermic needle for the jet. Drilling through the casing was easy for me as I have the right tools, and with it starting closer to the laser beam less severe bends were required to get it aligned how I wanted. I've only worked with wood and acrylic (black). I'm currently eyeing up the new '50w' diode lasers as they can cut 10mm wood but really a CO2 would make more sense for cutting. I just don't have space for a big CO2 laser machine right now.

Making paint holders, 3mm ply..

Associate
So what air source are you using for it, I see on some YouTube videos they use fish tank pumps.

As said am new to all this, we built a mpcnc during lockdown - it's at father in laws -and then I've just bought a small 3018 to run in my garage just to play about with.

Only other question is materials where are you finding supplies as am struggling with wood other than ply or mdf.

Matt

Associate
OP
At the moment I'm using my airbrush compressor which is great but maybe not worth it to buy as an air assist if that's all you're going to be using it for. Advantage though is it can provide a much higher pressure/volume of air than the aquarium pump solution and that's good for blasting away charred debris. Downside is it also blows smoke/fumes everywhere defeating attempts to exhaust it away easily. Woodsmoke from burning is one reason I would prefer to move to an enclosed system - like a CO2 (or at least make a full enclosure for the diode laser).

Ply, MDF and Pine are all I've used really. Pine is not great because of the sap but hardwood is stupidly expensive when I looked. Mainly stick with the first two.

Associate
Mine is in s makeshift enclosure in the garage, so just trying to look at ways to add an exhaust fan....just found an old coolermaster a20 fan, gonna see if i can work out how to wire to the mains plug to exhaust the fumes then look for some suitable ducting.

Then will look at options for the air assist.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Associate
OP
I bought these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0895C8DRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 style 9, but they're not cheap. The free ones you get from China are mostly worthless.

Lol I just read some of the reviews! They don't make sense some of the complaints but I find these are good. The guy that complained his laser 'burned' the lens made me laugh - well that's because they absorbed (blocked) the energy which is a whole lot better than them not burning and letting the light through. I do wear mine over prescription glasses.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the glasses now also the pump fir air assist turned up today, went for a hailea ACO-208 35l a min, hopefully that'll be more than enough for my needs.

Tomorrow will be bolt together and give it a go day.

Matt

Associate
OP
Good luck with that!

Because I only have a small footprint machine I decided to upgrade my whole machine to a larger one: https://www.banggood.com/New-SCULPF...lchannel&akmClientCountry=GB&cur_warehouse=CN

Which I may see this side of Christmas lol. Although still a diode laser and the power is not much different with the S9 the beam is narrower and more concentrated, so it cuts better. I tried something similar with an upgraded lens for the Neje and there was definitely an improvement but there's no way I could cut 10mm plywood with it. I also get a larger work area with this new machine which I needed but installing it in the only space I have available means a fair bit of work rearranging stuff. Problem with the S9 and similar with the red cover at the bottom is that all the smoke and fumes are contained inside it so that will need modifying before anything else - and I'll need to install the air assist again somehow.

Associate
OP
Yep they do come in useful sometimes!

I'm working on an area to fit the new laser which has larger bed size. This is the only place it could go - a shelf under the Artillery X1 printer. I reinforced the shelf and will box it in so the inside is sealed, the extractor vent will then go down the back of the printer and exhaust all the nasty smoke and fumes out the window. I need some sort of tinted perspex window on the front, and a camera inside to mate up with Lightburn.

Back
Top Bottom