Voltage Recommendation - 5950X

Associate
Hi all,

So I just got my 5950X and I’ve started ‘playing’. I heard the best way to check for the ‘safe’ 24/7 voltages is to turn on PBO, run prime and check for the min SV12 core voltage under load. Problem is, when I do that, I land with 1.168V. If I try to manual OC with this voltage the best I can get is around 4.4GHz (all core). Surely this CPU can handle more voltage without degradation? Thoughts? I should add this is under a custom loop so temperatures are more than fine to go higher.

Thanks,

Associate
OP
I am also wondering about this as well idle is ok around 38/40 c but when gaming hovers around 82c.....using a h100i pro gt cooler

I gave up with manual overclocking. With PBO2 tweaking you can get the same high clocks for single-threaded and multi-threaded use cases but with various ‘steps’, undervolting and you don’t have to worry about a static peak voltage.

Associate
This is a friends not mine but just running normal settings in bios i am not really that up on overclocking/under volting as i have used intel and never needed to.

But in this case its changed i do not really understand the bios that much to attempt this but the temps imo are worryingly high. What board and memory cooler are you using thanks.

His as follows

X570-e gaming strix
5950x
32gb corsair rgb pro 3600
h100i pro xt cooler

Associate
OP
This is a friends not mine but just running normal settings in bios i am not really that up on overclocking/under volting as i have used intel and never needed to.

But in this case its changed i do not really understand the bios that much to attempt this but the temps imo are worryingly high. What board and memory cooler are you using thanks.

His as follows

X570-e gaming strix
5950x
32gb corsair rgb pro 3600
h100i pro xt cooler

PBO enabled? If yes, those temperatures don’t seem too crazy. If not... maybe double check mounting and paste. 40C idle is standard but 82C just gaming is quite high.

It’s difficult for me to compare as I have mine overclocked to the max + PBO but I also have a custom loop with CPU/VRM block + 2x triple rads. I idle between 30-40C and hit around 60C gaming, but even with that setup I’ve hit 90C and throttled under prime95 small FFT.

Associate
Thanks for the help i will check again....as for mounting have done that and installed a new cooler the other day thinking that....i think he has just bought this cpu and more than likely he needs a custom loop cooling system rather than a aio.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help i will check again....as for mounting have done that and installed a new cooler the other day thinking that....i think he has just bought this cpu and more than likely he needs a custom loop cooling system rather than a aio.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it, these CPUs run HOT, especially the 5950X. Maybe consider upgrading to a high-end triple AIO and leave it at that.

Associate
Maybe any recommendations on a good one thanks ahhhh he has a corsair 680x and triple cooler will only fit on front but the 3080 will not let it because not enough pace so has to be double rad... or a new case aswell what do you think?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom