Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Permabanned
Just out of interest guys that run. You know when you achieve the cardio to run up say a local hill. It sucked a first right? However, now you can easily manage it do you find the descent harder due to knee pain like I do. Or should I go to the doctors?

Caporegime
There should be no pain at all.

Now if you sre not used to running down hills then you have to train snd slowly build up stronger bones and muscles.

Caporegime
Me too. I've found that if I can jump/hop on that leg with no pain then it's time to start running again.

Tvid is a good first test, you can then putnpn ypur running gear. If there is any kind of slight niggle wheb you start this needs to disappear in the firdt 5-10minute, and improve during this time. If it getd worse stop immediately, if there is no change at 10minutes stop. Keep the run short and easy.

Neyt day you run that minor niggle need to be even fainter than last time. If it has got worse then you need a longer recovery.

Soldato
Managed to get out for a run yesterday, i picked a very flat route so there was no descent where it'd get more pouding. Felt absolutely fine during the run, though this morning there's a little bit of a niggle. It's a very good one, it just feels a little like someone is stabbing me with a needle very lightly. Not "pain" so much, but a feeling i'm aware isn't normal.

My stupid plantar fascia also feels tense this morning. Was hoping a full week off and then easing into it with some really easy slow flat runs would start to sort things out but just seems the same as last week. Again, it's not pain so much as just being aware it's not like it usually is.

Luckily that Ultra next weekend was cancelled after all!

Associate
Any tips on beginner running shoes? I've been walking around 5-10k daily depending on time and want to introduce some jogs/runs gradually but not sure what shoes to get with the shops shut. I'll have to order multiple brands and sizes to get a fit but not sure which ones?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Brooks GTS have worked well for me, these are a supporting type shoe. Not the most glamorous of brands.

Also ON Cloud same thing a supporting type shoe.

Best bet is to check out the websites of both brands

Hard task though, you need to try loads on.

Associate
Brooks GTS have worked well for me, these are a supporting type shoe. Not the most glamorous of brands.

Also ON Cloud same thing a supporting type shoe.

Best bet is to check out the websites of both brands

Hard task though, you need to try loads on.

Brooks seem to offer a decent returns policy whereby you can wear the shoes out and if not happy send back. I'll give them a start first. Just don't want to mess up my feet and harder as shops not open to get a better opinion.

Associate
Brooks seem to offer a decent returns policy whereby you can wear the shoes out and if not happy send back. I'll give them a start first. Just don't want to mess up my feet and harder as shops not open to get a better opinion.

Hoka also have a similar policy albeit only 30 days instead of 90. I use their rincons for road and torrent 2s for trail. Quite a few sites have tools to help you pick the right shoe based on a bunch of questions

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Odd run today.... Loads of energy but nothing in legs just felt very very weak and heavy even took yesterday off the bike as well.

Caporegime
Any tips on beginner running shoes? I've been walking around 5-10k daily depending on time and want to introduce some jogs/runs gradually but not sure what shoes to get with the shops shut. I'll have to order multiple brands and sizes to get a fit but not sure which ones?

As a beginner doesn't really matter. Sizing will be most important.

A lit of preferences about shoes relates to foot shapes etc. If you have wide feet most brands offer an EE size in soem shoes.

Once you have done a few months running you wiél have a better idea about what you want

Transmission breaker
Don
Training for my first half, been running for a month now.
I set myself the stretch goal of 1:45 (2 hours would be ok I guess though) for the half, based on the fact 8 mins a mile seemed like a good pace to aim for.
Started doing 2 mile runs, took a couple then I was getting into the high 7 mins per mile average.

So bumped up to 5k, couple of runs and I nudged 7 mins, went up to 7.5k 3 runs and I was on the 7s again, now up to 10k and first one was 8:26 a mile.

I think for starting just after Xmas I am doing ok. Feels like progress is slow but steady. Just trying to protect my plantar fascia which have given me issues in the past!!

The half has been pushed back till November due to Covid, so I am taking it slow so as to not injure myself and putting in 5-10 miles in-between runs (or when weather is bad) on the turbo or out on the bike proper.
I assume at some point the system (sub 8 average and then +2.5k) I am using will plateau, should I then move into intervals at that point, or just up the running frequency/distances?

Caporegime
sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You can't train to run a specific pace, ypur pace will just be a function of your training, weight, and the weather.

Secondly, most of your running has to be at a very relaxed pace. Even if you hadthe fitness to run a half marathon at 8-minute pace, almost all your running should be done at around 10-min a mile. After a few months training you can add some speed work

Soldato
Bored as hell with running so jumping on the half marathon plan, this one looks very simple and doable.

Having a plan should help give a little motivation, if it's not cancelled then there's a 10 mile trail event in September so definitely help with that. Figured I'll do this plan to help get mileage up and once 12 weeks are up, we're looking well into Spring so can concentrate on trails and hills more as weather will be better.

Transmission breaker
Don
sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You can't train to run a specific pace, ypur pace will just be a function of your training, weight, and the weather.

Secondly, most of your running has to be at a very relaxed pace. Even if you hadthe fitness to run a half marathon at 8-minute pace, almost all your running should be done at around 10-min a mile. After a few months training you can add some speed work
Wow, that just sounds so wrong to me! I always believed you trained for the event you were doing, and running slowly was just a waste of time!
Shows what I know. It does sound boring though, going out, and just plodding along at a very slow pace :(

I honestly don't think I can run at 10 minute pace, that would just be a fast walk? I struggle with motivation if I am not trying to beat a time also!

Just got back from a little 5k, trying out a chest torch rather than a head torch. 24:04, and it felt like I could go faster if needed, but not sure that's a good idea!

Also, I tend to run on an empty stomach, is that good or bad?

Caporegime
Wow, that just sounds so wrong to me! I always believed you trained for the event you were doing, and running slowly was just a waste of time!
Shows what I know. It does sound boring though, going out, and just plodding along at a very slow pace :(

I honestly don't think I can run at 10 minute pace, that would just be a fast walk? I struggle with motivation if I am not trying to beat a time also!

Just got back from a little 5k, trying out a chest torch rather than a head torch. 24:04, and it felt like I could go faster if needed, but not sure that's a good idea!

Also, I tend to run on an empty stomach, is that good or bad?

Asan example, i can't train to run a sub-2hr marathon as i simply don't have the fitness. Whatever your run fitnes is currently, that dictates what pace you can and should run at. As long as you follow a half-decent training plan, then over time you gradually get fitter and can run faster. Your pace on race day will be whatever fitness you happen to achieve by that date.

Running slowly has the ssne benefits as running faster, in fact, some of the necessary adaptations will only occur when you run slowly. However, the main factors are that when you run faster you will get tired quicker and will run shorter, reducing the training stimulus. 10km rsn slowly will give you twice the training of running a faster 5km. Moreover, if you run fast then you do more damage to muscles, boned snd ligaments - recovery time will increase a lot and you will find ylu can't go out running as much as nuscles are stiff or joints are sore. Which brings up the most important aspect, the faster you run the more likely you are to get injured. Given thst you get more effective training running slower and longer and it is safer, mesns 80-90% of your running should be at a relaxed easy pace.

You have to understand that running 1 mile requires nuch the ssme gross adaptations as running a marathon or longer. It is all just aerobic fitness (VO2Msx) and running efficiency. Even at the pro level, you get athletes winning Olympic medals at both the 5km and marathon a week apart.

Running is not for everyone. if you really want to go balls to the wall and throw up after some super high intensity workout then you need to try rowing or swimming. Running is very different. The relaxed pace of most of your training means it is typically not a stressful exercise, helps you unwind, has a lower bar on motivation.

That being said, it is not a walk in a park. Instead of intensity, you have volume and endurance. Run training is maximised in runs of 1-2 hours, and doing so 6-7 days a week. What feels like a stupidly easy lace for a 5km twice a week become quite taxing when running 20km a day.

Also, you can add intensity snd spee workouts And ypu should to maximize performance. But these are very risky so should not be done too often (typically omce to twice a week for a few months before a race). Moreover, you have to let your body adapt to running, the bones and ligaments have to get much stronger. Also, any high intensity workouts are iike the icing on cake, it helps bring a fee percent more performance. Most of the fitness comes from nonths and months of hugh volume easy paced running which builds aerobic fitness and efficiency.

For your actual pace, you should really get a heart rate monitor and bsse your training around that. But as a rule lf rhumb, whatever your pace for rscing 5km, your easy training pace will be about 2.5mins/mile slower. 10min/mile is absolutely a good running pace for a beginner. A good test is thst your training pace should permit conversation without any difficulty breathing and speaking. Run with a phone, csll a friend/wife while running. You should be able to complete a sentence and only just start to feel the running interfering.

Overtime your pce will go down. So even if it is 10min/mile now, kn a few months perhaps 9:20, 9min by mid-summer, then progess will slow. Heart rate is the best guide for beginners

Caporegime
You can likely run a sub-2hr by summer, just accept that you can only train based on your current fitness and experience, not what fitness you want to be at in the future.

When you are at the ability to run a HM at 8:00 pace then most of your running will be at nearer 100:00, and after s couple of months you could asd some easier intervals like fartleks at 7:00 pace for example.

One of tve funny things about running is you rarely run at your race pace. 80-90% will be about 2minutes slower (even slower for short races like 5km,) but the redt lf the tine could be 30-60s/mile faster than race pace.

Race pace itself is generally not that useful to run at. Increased injury risk and fatigue, without much benefit. Training is polarised, either much slower, or moderately faster.

Transmission breaker
Don
Awesome, thanks for the info :)
I will re-assess and make some changes based on this. It would be nice to be able to run more frequently and not feel like I am walking a tightrope between injury/overuse/fatigue all of the time. I guess this is where I have always gone wrong in the past. I think I just need to change my goals and leave faster runs for every couple of weeks or so as a "treat" to help me see progress!

Back
Top Bottom