**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Also seems phoning around a few local tyre places (edentyres ALWAYS been good service and never damaged an alloy yet) there is a lack of stock. They could'nt get a single 255/35 R21 of any brand. Said there is major problems getting stock at the moment
Because tyres are not made in the UK and there are HUGE problems getting shipments moving globally, and especially into the UK right now.

Man of Honour
OCUK motors opinions please...

From my random googling, the F1A5 are more competition vs the MPS4, whereas the MPS4S is in competition to the Eagle SS
But on tyrereviews, the F1A5 scores more highly than the MPS4S :confused::confused:
I can't find the wear rates for the F1A5 except for this which shows top-of-the-range wear rates (even better than the MPS4) https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Set of 4 F1A5 = £600
Set of 4 MPS4 = £660 (obvs a non-contender as the Assy is better value)
Set of 4 MPS4S = £740

Now having owned MPS4S on my last car, I cannot fault them, but at an extra £140 on top...I'm not quite sure if they are worth the difference if the F1A5 can provide 97% of the performance (as long as the wear is near equivalent)
I don't drive like a madman either, so (at least) I don't think I've ever come close to hitting the limits on the MPS4S...I'm more swayed at the moment to the F1A5

tl;dr: Michelin PS4S vs Goodyear Eagle F1A5?

Soldato
OCUK motors opinions please...

From my random googling, the F1A5 are more competition vs the MPS4, whereas the MPS4S is in competition to the Eagle SS
But on tyrereviews, the F1A5 scores more highly than the MPS4S :confused::confused:
I can't find the wear rates for the F1A5 except for this which shows top-of-the-range wear rates (even better than the MPS4) https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Set of 4 F1A5 = £600
Set of 4 MPS4 = £660 (obvs a non-contender as the Assy is better value)
Set of 4 MPS4S = £740

Now having owned MPS4S on my last car, I cannot fault them, but at an extra £140 on top...I'm not quite sure if they are worth the difference if the F1A5 can provide 97% of the performance (as long as the wear is near equivalent)
I don't drive like a madman either, so (at least) I don't think I've ever come close to hitting the limits on the MPS4S...I'm more swayed at the moment to the F1A5

tl;dr: Michelin PS4S vs Goodyear Eagle F1A5?

You're right in that the F1A5 is a competitor to the PS4, rather than the PS4S. In my experience (albeit on an MX5), the F1A5 had more wet grip and lasted longer than the PS4, and had slightly firmer sidewalls which helped with direction changes, however didn't round off potholes quite as well as the PS4 did.

They're both good, and tbh comes down to price for the most part. Also look at the Premium Contact 6 by Continental, falls into the same group, and supposedly has firmer sidewalls again than the Goodyear if you feel that's a positive trait. Can't give a personal opinion though as I haven't tried them myself.

Man of Honour
They're both good, and tbh comes down to price for the most part.
That's my thoughts exactly. £140 is quite an increase...worth it if one is chasing every last % of performance, but expensive if one is not.

Also look at the Premium Contact 6 by Continental, falls into the same group,
Totally discounted as the contis wear out really quick

Man of Honour
I'd check out Kwik fit - they'll do a full set of Michelin 4S tyres for £646 fitted (with the 15% Michelin discount code).
nice. just saw this...and also found Halfords doing 10% discount for Goodyears too...
aargh...decisions decisions

£645.60 for MPS4S (Kwik Fit) + free earbuds lol
or
£557.96 for F1A5 (Halfords)

MPS4S are over £20 a corner dearer and the earbuds are a gimmick i don't really require :/
swaying towards the F1A5 though can be convinced either way tbh

Soldato
Just ordered a set of 4 Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance for the Mrs car. I was planning on buying something like Hankooks or Uniroyals as it's only a Ford Fusion (her first car), but the Goodyears were only £5 more a tyre so I'd rather go with them. It's got Dunlops on it all round currently which don't seem to do a bad job but they're on 2-3mm and gone fairly hard and cracking with age.

Back
Top Bottom