Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
Just wondering if someone had any experience with a CL7 Euro R?

Currently drive a FN2 daily and have a DC2 that only comes out in good weather.

I bought the FN2 quite cheap as it was a Cat S. A bit ropey to start off with but had everything that needs fixing done. Quite happy with it now and enjoying it. However I found it a bit too low and the ride harsh as a daily. I also think it has a bit of image problem and generally attract a bit too much attention.

I think the CL7 Euro R will be better as a daily for me but obviously it will make no financial sense as I have spent quite a bit making the FN2 right. I am never going to get that back with it being a cat s. It's also a bit difficult to justify spending £10k on what is pretty much an old Accord.

On the other hand, I am about to cash in on some investments. If I don't budget for a CL7 Euro R now, I will probably never get one as the money will be tied up again for quite a while.

What do you think or is there be something else that I should be looking at?

My head is definitely telling me to stick with the FN2 and run it to the ground.

Soldato
Just wondering if someone had any experience with a CL7 Euro R?

Currently drive a FN2 daily and have a DC2 that only comes out in good weather.

I bought the FN2 quite cheap as it was a Cat S. A bit ropey to start off with but had everything that needs fixing done. Quite happy with it now and enjoying it. However I found it a bit too low and the ride harsh as a daily. I also think it has a bit of image problem and generally attract a bit too much attention.

I think the CL7 Euro R will be better as a daily for me but obviously it will make no financial sense as I have spent quite a bit making the FN2 right. I am never going to get that back with it being a cat s. It's also a bit difficult to justify spending £10k on what is pretty much an old Accord.

On the other hand, I am about to cash in on some investments. If I don't budget for a CL7 Euro R now, I will probably never get one as the money will be tied up again for quite a while.

What do you think or is there be something else that I should be looking at?

My head is definitely telling me to stick with the FN2 and run it to the ground.

Keep the fn2. The accord only offers a bit more doors imo and isn’t worth the premium they are commanding. Save the money, invest it and purchase a much better car at a later date.

I know jdm scene points are cool and all but 10k on an accord which looks like any other type s model.

No thanks.

Associate
I've never been in a car with VTEC before, can I ask what the sensation of speed is like?

Being NA I am guessing that the feeling of being pinned back into your seat that you get from a turbo doesn't really happen here?

Ive got around 300NA (2000cc) and vtec transition is pretty smooth. You'll get a change in note but you won't get a shove back in the seat. Hence all the memes going about with hitting vtec and being pushed back. Nonsense.

Soldato
I know the looks are divisive but has anyone got a FK8 Type R and care to share any findings regarding living with it day to day?

Are they super in the reliability stakes like other Japanese cars (even though they are built in Swindon) or just average?

Soldato
Any of you fine 10th gen owners know where I can get a decent centre console tray thing? Usa versions come with a slidable tray AND cup holder, where as mine is just an empty hole.
Also where to get the separate nozzle adapter for the capless petrol tank?

Associate
I have an FK8. It's the easiest Type R to live with to date, and I dare say easier than other similar cars except maybe a Golf GTI which is a touch softer.

Decent room for 4 and the boot is very big. The suspension is forgiving enough for UK roads, with a noticeable difference between comfort, sport and R modes.

For a 2.0T unit it's also fairly economical I've found. Maybe because it's fwd and not particularly heavy.

From a driving perspective it's brilliant. The seats are great and positioned perfectly, pedals are perfect and gear change is perfect. The steering has some feel and feedback and is direct and rewarding. The engine has enough power to shift the car when changing gear at 4k rpm, but also benefits from taking it to 7k.

Servicing isn't that cheap, so a service pack even if it's £500 for 2 services is worth it.

Bad bits... Wheels are a bit if a nightmare for curbing and then refurbing also because of the pinstripe. Infotainment is poor in 2021, but is saved by it having android auto/CarPlay. The HVAC system is a bit weak, particularly for cold air, and it can make a noise.

My opinion is that it's a great car and deserves all the praise it gets. I would say that as someone who likes driving, a modern turbo unit isn't as enjoyable as working an NA engine with a manual box. But, some people like the characteristics of a turbo engine.

I'm considering replacing it with a Cupra Formentor 310. Probably because AWD gives it better all-season performance and I fancy trying a DSG box which I think it will suit a modern turbo engine well. The interior is a bit more modern and it's relatively plush with the leather etc. I'd struggle to replace it with something more similar like a Focus ST, Golf GTI, i30n etc because I think they'd fall short, where as the Cupra is different enough to not be as comparable.

Associate
Any of you fine 10th gen owners know where I can get a decent centre console tray thing? Usa versions come with a slidable tray AND cup holder, where as mine is just an empty hole.
Also where to get the separate nozzle adapter for the capless petrol tank?
My FK8 has a moveable cup holder thing.

Soldato
I have an FK8. It's the easiest Type R to live with to date, and I dare say easier than other similar cars except maybe a Golf GTI which is a touch softer.

Decent room for 4 and the boot is very big. The suspension is forgiving enough for UK roads, with a noticeable difference between comfort, sport and R modes.

For a 2.0T unit it's also fairly economical I've found. Maybe because it's fwd and not particularly heavy.

From a driving perspective it's brilliant. The seats are great and positioned perfectly, pedals are perfect and gear change is perfect. The steering has some feel and feedback and is direct and rewarding. The engine has enough power to shift the car when changing gear at 4k rpm, but also benefits from taking it to 7k.

Servicing isn't that cheap, so a service pack even if it's £500 for 2 services is worth it.

Bad bits... Wheels are a bit if a nightmare for curbing and then refurbing also because of the pinstripe. Infotainment is poor in 2021, but is saved by it having android auto/CarPlay. The HVAC system is a bit weak, particularly for cold air, and it can make a noise.

My opinion is that it's a great car and deserves all the praise it gets. I would say that as someone who likes driving, a modern turbo unit isn't as enjoyable as working an NA engine with a manual box. But, some people like the characteristics of a turbo engine.

I'm considering replacing it with a Cupra Formentor 310. Probably because AWD gives it better all-season performance and I fancy trying a DSG box which I think it will suit a modern turbo engine well. The interior is a bit more modern and it's relatively plush with the leather etc. I'd struggle to replace it with something more similar like a Focus ST, Golf GTI, i30n etc because I think they'd fall short, where as the Cupra is different enough to not be as comparable.

Thanks, it’s useful to get this info from an owner’s perspective. I can read endless reviews of blasting it around the countryside and on a track, but little about the reality of using it daily.

Not that it will help you in your choice to change, but I’m coming from AWD, plush leather etc. I guess I’m a little bored of autos, point and go all-weather traction and so much comfort it insulates you from the experience. The Honda seems a decent, driver-focused car, but still with the practicalities I need for the time being. My car should be delivered in July, I’m hoping it will provide the entertainment I’m after :cool:

Associate
Thanks, it’s useful to get this info from an owner’s perspective. I can read endless reviews of blasting it around the countryside and on a track, but little about the reality of using it daily.

Not that it will help you in your choice to change, but I’m coming from AWD, plush leather etc. I guess I’m a little bored of autos, point and go all-weather traction and so much comfort it insulates you from the experience. The Honda seems a decent, driver-focused car, but still with the practicalities I need for the time being. My car should be delivered in July, I’m hoping it will provide the entertainment I’m after :cool:
Yeah, I tend to want something that I don't have so if I have something manual are a bit more raw, I'll want something auto, softer and insulated next time.

Associate
Need a new daily driver and thinking of going to look at this 80K 2007 FN2 tomorrow, only 30 mins away. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164862511330?hash=item26629248e2:g:eG8AAOSwgExgm9Nf
Currently have a Corolla T Sport which I'm probably going to break for parts as it's seen better days.

Seems in good condition with full service history. I do all my own car work so have a good bit of knowledge. Anything to look out for on these?

Also thought about this as its only up the road but the mileage puts me off as I know what Honda chassis are like for rot. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324606460942?hash=item4b940d840e:g:dOoAAOSwiW1gnLkn

Associate
I know the looks are divisive but has anyone got a FK8 Type R and care to share any findings regarding living with it day to day?

Are they super in the reliability stakes like other Japanese cars (even though they are built in Swindon) or just average?

I have a black FK8 type R. I put a couple of pictures in the show us your motors thread if you feel like searching my posts. I’ve owned it since September 2018 and I still absolutely love it. I’ll try and summarise some key things about owning one -

looks - it is a very marmite car. People either love it or hate it. I personally love it as it’s just so unique and aggressive looking. They are quite rare, so people aren’t used to seeing them and they get a lot of attention, especially from petrol heads. The day I bought it, driving home and stopped at traffic lights and a paramedic lady chatted through the window saying how nice it was. Yesterday I pulled up by a couple in a remapped AMG A45s (crazy good car) and he said my car was his wife’s dream car she wants to buy.... go figure.

performance - launching this car is not easy. The power is too much for the front wheel drive really. Not good for traffic light Grand Prix. Even if it’s slightly wet it will wheelspin through third gear. However from rolling in second gear it’s a beast and has incredible speed through the gears. From rolling it will be very equal if not a tiny bit quicker than hot hatch competition/ fast saloons that have a stated 0-62 in the late 4 seconds.

the handling and feel through the wheel is second to none and the all round driving experience is phenomenal. You can use comfort (lighter steering, softer suspension and less responsive throttle), sport (middle ground option) or + R mode which is the hardest and most responsive setting. I always have it in +R and still find it very comfortable and not too bonebraking unless there is a pothole.

the interior looks great and I’d rather high quality with fantastic seats that are very comfortable. The infotainment is a bit rubbish but it does the job and doesn’t bother me.

it is a big car. It isn’t really a hatch back in my view. Loads of room in back seats and the boot is huge.

some minor issues -
It can go through tyres very fast. Don’t use the continentals it comes with. Get Michelin PS4s for it, they are a much better option. The tyres are a big, low profile unusual size and are expensive. Circa £220-£240 per corner.

Fuel economy is not great. I get about 29mpg on a motorway journey if I’m lucky. Less for driving round town.

If you curb your alloys, due to the red stripe round them they cannot be dipped like normal alloys.

My car suffers from an occasional 2nd and 4th gear crunch which is a known issue if you do your research. Mine has done it since I bought it but it’s so infrequent I can’t be bothered to get it sorted as I know the dealership will try and fob me off. Towards the end of my 3 year warranty though I will take it in to report the issue. I wouldn’t let this put you off. Like I said it’s very infrequent and only happens when you are flying and changing just before the redline. Probably happened to me about 12-15 times in 2.5 years.

All in all I love the car to pieces and whilst I normally drive it very spiritedly. I have done a couple of long journeys (eg. Hertfordshire to Lake District) and it was a pleasure to drive.

feel free to message me if you want to know anything further.

Soldato
Thanks Lima, some interesting points there.

I actually quite like the looks of this car, especially the facelift. So the consternation some people have genuinely entertains me. It’s not a pretty car, but it is mean and aggressive. That doesn’t make it a Fiat Multipla in my book. Luckily I don’t really care what people think on this front anyway :p

Performance-wise I don’t really partake in traffic light sprints anymore, but I can see even so called experts on CarWOW can have launch problem, especially in the wet. It will be a step change for me, coming from an automatic with 600hp and AWD, but I’m happy that the handling will make up for this.

It’s a shame Honda didn’t put PS4s tyres on these as standard, but not many manufacturers do. I’ll probably get a set anyway but I’ll see what the Contis are like. I’m quite aware that I don’t want to curb an alloy... luckily they are easily replaced and I haven’t curbed one in a few years. I wanted Honda to upgrade the wheels to the forged items, but they don’t offer that as a option sadly. I may just buy a set but will see how things go.

I’ve heard mention of the gearbox issue, but it doesn’t seem widespread. It’s a shame that Honda know about this and apparently it was a issue with previous Type Rs. Is it ironic that the gearbox is one of the main parts that comes from Japan?

All in all I’m keen to get to grips with the Civic, my existing car was sold yesterday so I’m a pedestrian ****** on the days the wife is using her car :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The Conti's wet grip absolutely awful in comparison to PS4 or PS4S as well as wearing really fast. False economy to put them on as you'll be replacing them twice as quickly as a PS4.

The crunch isn't really the same as previous gens - they were synchro problems whereas FK8 is mostly clutch related. It's a mix of it the clutch pedal requiring manual adjustment as well as other cases where the driver just isn't clutching ALL the way down or releasing too quickly.

Best car I've ever driven under the 40k bracket.

£25k is the going rate for one with less than 10k miles and I dare say you wouldn't find a better low mileage modern performance car that ticks so many boxes for that sort of money.

The only bad thing I'd have to say about it is, it's wide, very wide.
I drove on the Chunnel and probably had 3cm gap so unfortunately managed to give a very slight bit of grazing on the wheels in its second month of life :D

Back
Top Bottom