Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
What are people using to trade? I tried to sign up for etoro but after uploading docs it’s just sat at pending verification. I’ve no idea if that means I can actually trade or not and seeing reviews online seem to hammer them for poor service...so, what’s recommended?

Associate
What are people using to trade? I tried to sign up for etoro but after uploading docs it’s just sat at pending verification. I’ve no idea if that means I can actually trade or not and seeing reviews online seem to hammer them for poor service...so, what’s recommended?

I joined etoro yesterday and got verified in a few minutes :eek:

Associate
How would you go about making an assessment as to whether your funds are safe in a app you got from Play Store/Apple Store? Asking for a friend.

1) Check who is the ultimate owner/who operates the app.
2) Check to see where they operate from, which will then direct you to checking with the appropriate regulatory body.
3) Check said company are regulated by and listed on said regulatory bodies website.
4) Check to see if there has ever been any finding against said company.

Theres probably more to it, but since they are regulated by the FCA which have very specific rules in the segregation of client / company assets, they should be relatively safe. Cash funds are protected up to 85k, and your investments are held in a segregated account with Interactive Broker.

That was my view before signing up.

Associate
1) Check who is the ultimate owner/who operates the app.
2) Check to see where they operate from, which will then direct you to checking with the appropriate regulatory body.
3) Check said company are regulated by and listed on said regulatory bodies website.
4) Check to see if there has ever been any finding against said company.

Theres probably more to it, but since they are regulated by the FCA which have very specific rules in the segregation of client / company assets, they should be relatively safe. Cash funds are protected up to 85k, and your investments are held in a segregated account with Interactive Broker.

That was my view before signing up.

Also, apps usually have websites these days too... https://www.trading212.com/en/Safety-and-Security

Soldato
Will be be very interesting next week, quite the story so far.

In other not-so interesting news, for the long term now my portfolio is spread across solar energy, wind energy, battery manufacturers, electric vehicles annnnd... American sports gambling :p they all look like sectors that shall clearly grow and I like to hope that these kind of companies won't suffer too bad should this almost inevitable market crash and depression come.

Soldato
T212 doesn’t seem to be getting near enough the same stick as the US brokers for manipulating the stocks, seem to be getting off very lightly.

The 212 Forum went crazy, but they just ban people who mention too aggressive. I can't see how a firm can decide to just stop allowing buys or any similar action. I appreciate it was their intermediary but I'm not certain what the FCA will think.

I have a small loss of £50 which I'm not concerned about but I'm tempted to drop in a complaint and see what they say. If nothing productive, then also submit to the FOS - purely from principle.

Soldato
T212 is just a broker though, do they still not have to go through someone else, if that someone else blocks the sale or limits it in some way what can 212 do about that?

Soldato
T212 resumed normal service yesterday allowing you to buy gme with no outages. I understand they aren't allowing new sign ups though.

Certainly not as blatant as RH and others at their blocking of the stocks. RH presumably has a significantly larger user base though?

I cant believe Apple and Google have removed hundreds of thousands of reviews though due to policy violations... what violations, the reviews were accurate, the platforms blocked trades, regardless of the reasoning, it still happened.

Soldato
I was a late comer to the party but holding positions until next week. Lets see what market conditions are like on Monday. Im not holding much hope though, these funds will do everything in their power to avoid further loses.

Back
Top Bottom