Anyone get rid of moulded tool cases?

Soldato
Its becoming apparent that my tools come in very annoying and oversized tool boxes.

I have a mixture of Bosch and Dewalt tools. My laser level is small and I am happy with its case but the rest just take up so much space.

Ive been tempted to make some kind of racking and just get rid of most cases.

Anyone done similar? I have cases for:

SDS, Cordless drill, driver, planer, router, circ saw, jigsaw, multi tool and god knows what else.

How do you store yours?

Soldato
OP
Maybe I've been too quick to judge my cases then!

I think I just find myself getting frustrated with some of them, I appreciate they need to add some rigidity to them but some of them are so damn annoying to fit tools back into and close.

Others like drills come in huge boxes. That make no good use of space.

Im also tempted to come away from my traditional boxes for hand tools and get a veto pro pac or similar so everything is visible.

Man of Honour
I hang frequently used tools like the drill and impact driver on hooks just above the workbench so I can reach up and grab them as necessary without any faff. Lesser used tools like the mitre saw and SDS are stored on a shelf, in their case if they have one.

Soldato
I hang frequently used tools like the drill and impact driver on hooks just above the workbench so I can reach up and grab them as necessary without any faff. Lesser used tools like the mitre saw and SDS are stored on a shelf, in their case if they have one.
I've kept nose if not all cases as otherwise I can't store them properly as I have a lack of wall space. Stuff like jigsaws and belt sanders sit quite nice without a box.

Associate
I generally keep the cases/boxes. I find it easier to store & carry them as needed.

I've got a lot of dewalt stuff, so got several tstak cases, so they stack together well, but I've also got a few cheaper (titan/mcalister) tools that have their own non-stacking cases.

Having stuff in a case means you can keep the most used associated accessories with the tool (PZ2 driver bit with the impact, common drill sizes with the drill, blades with the multitool etc).

I'm normally happy to pay a little extra to get a case with the tool, but the worst bit is getting the powercord wrapped up & back in the case for corded tools (one of the reasons most of my commonly used tools are cordless).

Soldato
I don't tend to keep boxes for hand tools as if i did my garage would be mostly boxes.

I keep some things in their cases, like socket sets and things like brake calliper winding tools etc as its nice to have everything together and i can store them somewhere out of the way as they're not used that often.

But for tools i use a lot like drill, angle grinder, impact drive/wrench i keep them lose on a garage trolley with my socket set and spanners. Lesser used tools live in big plastic bins with other associated items on rack shelving like jigsaws and spare corded drill and stuff.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Majority of my tools are DeWalt so always try to get T-stak cases to make storing tidier, also bought a couple of empty cases just to put other tools in for ease of storage.

Soldato
Religiously used to throw them out but have started to keep them now they are a lot more integrated, and frankly, I am buying tools worth putting into boxes.

Soldato
I've got all mine in their original cases purely cos I don't have that many :p and most are just stored in a cupboard in the house. If I had more tools and a garage to store them in I'd probably use something like the mechanics mobile tool chests / shelving but I'd also keep the original boxes should a mate want to borrow something or if I needed to lend a hand with a mates project or whatever.

Soldato
I've recently bought 2 additional DeWalt cordless tools and they both came in cardboard boxes. I was considering additional tstak boxes and inserts, but the additional £50 odd doesn't seem worth it.

As a cheaper alternative I bought a can of expanding foam and a couple of shallow stackable storage boxes with lids. The plan is to squirt some expanding foam into a black bag and tie the end then put it in the storage box, then press the power tool into the foam before it sets. They're stackable storage boxes so I can stack them in the garage shelving.

Every little helps!

Soldato
I've recently bought 2 additional DeWalt cordless tools and they both came in cardboard boxes. I was considering additional tstak boxes and inserts, but the additional £50 odd doesn't seem worth it.

As a cheaper alternative I bought a can of expanding foam and a couple of shallow stackable storage boxes with lids. The plan is to squirt some expanding foam into a black bag and tie the end then put it in the storage box, then press the power tool into the foam before it sets. They're stackable storage boxes so I can stack them in the garage shelving.

Every little helps!
That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'll be well impressed if you do it with the cable too:D.

Soldato
OP
Ive seen people use a multi tool and cut out the plastic guide / structure from inside boxes, make then simply flat surface inside. Then cut some foam to let them store more stuff inside.

You lose some of the structural integrity of the case but I still think its OK for more occasional use.

Edit, infact here :

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom