Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
Laying on something for 5 minutes tells you little to nothing about if it will be any good for sleeping on for 6+ hours every night for the next 5-10 years. The only real thing you should do is make sure you can return it if you are not happy after up to 50+ days.

This is true to some extent. I think though assuming it's a good quality brand, and you have an idea of your necessary firmness, you can reliably pick a mattress by trying it out in a showroom for a bit. A pocket sprung mattress is just springs with a layer of soft stuff on top, after all, it is not some special magic sauce. JR likes to say all over its website you can't trust showrooms, but they have an obvious biased interest to convince people to buy blind on the internet. But 99% of people choose their mattress by trying it out in person with generally good results. I mean, this is what I've done over the last 20 years and every mattress I tried out was perfect for me long term. In fact in my own experience buying blind on the internet has produced the most trouble, I've already had to return 2 mattresses now.

So probably the ideal thing is try it out in person first, and buy with a good return policy. I think lots of places do offer 30 day returns now. Ikea does 1 year returns (but you'll have to rent a van to return it yourself). W/ lockdowns you gotta just buy blind, which is what I did.

nam

nam

Soldato
is the minimum pocket spring supposed to be 2000 and above for a medium. I read someone here posted that for Sleepeezee

I'm hoping this medium John Ryan origins 1500 spring feels better than my Emma mattress, fortunately it'll be going back should it not

Associate
My emma mattress got picked up today. The guy said he had 20 of them in his van so far lol. Most of their collection are these emma mattresses. People complaining they are too soft. I wonder how emma stays in business. They must have crazy margins to support it.

Caporegime
Most likely won't have an issue but it's not necessary it's there for extra support for people who weight more than 16stone, I went with what JR advised.

I disagree. More springs means the firmer the mattress. If you likes firm Mattress regardless of your weight go for 2000 springs.

You can always buy a topper or go for their latex version which provides a bit of cushion.

Springs is to do with firmness and yes the lighter you are the harder it will feel. They try and gauge something that is extremely personal by the average person.

However a mattress firmness is unique to the person.

Soldato
more springs means thinner springs to fill the space and therefore aren't as durable, or so one of the big sites says. for every "fact" about a mattress, you'll probably find a counter fact on another site.

Permabanned
My emma mattress got picked up today. The guy said he had 20 of them in his van so far lol. Most of their collection are these emma mattresses. People complaining they are too soft. I wonder how emma stays in business. They must have crazy margins to support it.

Had an kingsize Emma original mattress since mid first lockdown, been fine for us.

I got the kids Nectar mattresses, similar thing but they are slightly firmer than the Emma original.

Soldato
I disagree. More springs means the firmer the mattress. If you likes firm Mattress regardless of your weight go for 2000 springs.

You can always buy a topper or go for their latex version which provides a bit of cushion.

Springs is to do with firmness and yes the lighter you are the harder it will feel. They try and gauge something that is extremely personal by the average person.

However a mattress firmness is unique to the person.
As a stomach sleeper and my Emma is giving me thoracic pain JR said the mattress for me and how I sleep is most probably too firm, so again 2000 springs wouldn't suit which makes sense to why they directed me to the one I ordered.

Caporegime
more springs means thinner springs to fill the space and therefore aren't as durable, or so one of the big sites says. for every "fact" about a mattress, you'll probably find a counter fact on another site.

Then the size of the bed plays a factor.

Single, double, king size, etc.

As 2000 springs in a king size will be larger than in a double.

Also size of spring in terms of width has nothing to do with the thickness of the actual spring used. It could be 1,2,3 or 15mm for all we know.

You can't just base how strong they are off 1 dimension

Soldato
As a stomach sleeper and my Emma is giving me thoracic pain JR said the mattress for me and how I sleep is most probably too firm, so again 2000 springs wouldn't suit which makes sense to why they directed me to the one I ordered.

A fellow stomach sleeper, I've managed to start sleeping on my side because stomach sleeping can cause me severe neck pain but I have to force myself to sleep on my side

What mattress did they recommend out of interest and what pillow do you use? Also what's thoracic pain?

Soldato
A fellow stomach sleeper, I've managed to start sleeping on my side because stomach sleeping can cause me severe neck pain but I have to force myself to sleep on my side

What mattress did they recommend out of interest and what pillow do you use? Also what's thoracic pain?
Thoracic is the area between your shoulder blades. I've also had hit and miss neck pain recently bought a pillow from Amazon that lets you take out the filling to suit (stomach sleeping requires thinner pillows) that said I'm still trial and error atm. They said to go for the medium tension 1500 origins mattress. Again assuming under 16 stone.

Soldato
Thoracic is the area between your shoulder blades. I've also had hit and miss neck pain recently bought a pillow from Amazon that lets you take out the filling to suit (stomach sleeping requires thinner pillows) that said I'm still trial and error atm. They said to go for the medium tension 1500 origins mattress. Again assuming under 16 stone.

Thanks I'll have a look at the mattress. I don't get pain between my shoulder blades it is at the base of my neck and runs down into the top of my shoulders, at its worse when I wake up I have to scoop my head out of bed because my neck cannot hold my heads weight without severe pain and I basically cant use my neck, looking left, right, up and down is impossible without severe pain.

If it helps you I bought a butterfly memory foam pillow from Amazon which has helped me start sleeping on my side and I haven't had the severe pain since, still get it a bit but no where near as bad and seems to be getting better all the time. It took some getting used to, its very firm but it does seem to work so far.

Associate
Has anyone tried the Brook & Wilde offering in the Lux?

I'm considering it against the John Ryan Pocket 1500 which I know receives a lot of praise.
Both beds come out at a similar cost when adding the divan+headboard along with the B&W discount codes.

Associate
Hi, new here. I came across the site as someone posted about the Flaxby DNAIR medium mattress which I've had for the past few years and I have constant neck and back ache now in the morning and throughout the day. I don't feel like I've got on with the mattress. It also feels like there's a slump in the middle, of the bed which isn't helping.

From reading this topic I get the impression I should go for John Ryan mattress. I'm looking at this https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/?size=single the Artisan Naturals but it looks a lot like the Flaxby DNAIR I have now. I can't try the mattress right now which is a shame, so just thought I'd ask what would you recommend I go for

Associate
Hi, new here. I came across the site as someone posted about the Flaxby DNAIR medium mattress which I've had for the past few years and I have constant neck and back ache now in the morning and throughout the day. I don't feel like I've got on with the mattress. It also feels like there's a slump in the middle, of the bed which isn't helping.

From reading this topic I get the impression I should go for John Ryan mattress. I'm looking at this https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/?size=single the Artisan Naturals but it looks a lot like the Flaxby DNAIR I have now. I can't try the mattress right now which is a shame, so just thought I'd ask what would you recommend I go for

John Ryan quality is top notch. You also get a long trial to try it out. The best thing to do is email them and they can help you with recommendations.

I would say though, I think JR probably charges ~200-300 more than equivalent mattresses from other manufacturers. Their prices have gone up a lot in the last 5-10 years since they were factorybedsdirect. There isn't a lot of choice though if you are online shopping, they have one of the best return policies around.

Back
Top Bottom