Apple knew a supplier was using child labor but took 3 years to fully cut ties

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty sure it won't be as cut and dry as that but if you want to worry about company ethics I would go live in a cave somewhere. Any company worth big money is scummy as they come and honestly Apple is probably one of the better ones. At least they pay some vague lip service to having some ethics. They are just a big target because they are always one of the most valuable companies in the world.

Car manufacturers cheating on emissions will have caused thousands of deaths. Every large company that uses China as a base for labour will be complicit in the use of child labour. Most clothing companies use sweatshops. Should they be punished? Yes. Will they? Of course not because they are rich and can pay off the right people.

Commissario
That article says they're not the only companies doing it but focusses purely on Apple and Tim Cook. Remember, It's fashionable to hate Apple.

I see their phone sales in Q4 2020 went up by 4% over the previous year making them the biggest seller by nearly twenty million units.

Soldato
That article says they're not the only companies doing it but focusses purely on Apple and Tim Cook. Remember, It's fashionable to hate Apple.

I see their phone sales in Q4 2020 went up by 4% over the previous year making them the biggest seller by nearly twenty million units.

Looks like there is one born every second :D

Soldato
How long do you think it takes to change a supplier in such a complex supply chain? They're not exactly going to go "well, we'd better immediately halt all iPhone production until while we rebuild our supply chain".

While we're at it, which other phone manufacturers even have an annual report into their supply chain working conditions?

Soldato
How long do you think it takes to change a supplier in such a complex supply chain? They're not exactly going to go "well, we'd better immediately halt all iPhone production until while we rebuild our supply chain".

While we're at it, which other phone manufacturers even have an annual report into their supply chain working conditions?
Such a telling post about the state of the world. How could we possibly go without the latest iPhone? Poor kids.

Soldato

Ah the staple response from butt-hurt Apple fans when Apple is found to be in the wrong and taking some flak on the world stage. "You're only hating because everyone else is"

BORING!

It wouldn't take 3 YEARS for Apple to say to the company in question, end the child labour immediately or we pull the contract with immediate effect. The supplier would have caved to this demand in order to keep making money.

Caporegime
Most corporations are the same, constantly pushing woke politics in the west that is undermining the cohesion of our countries whilst chummying up to China who have actual prison camps for Muslim's.

Look at the whole mainstream media coverage about Trump putting kids in cages which was an Obama era policy, bet they don't say a word when Biden carries on with it now that they have their corporate president.

Mezut Ozil hasn't played for Arsenal since he criticised China's camps and he believes it's because Arsenal don't want to be banished from the Chinese market, they're essentially putting their business interests ahead of human rights abuses whilst causing riots over in the west because they portray us as massively racist countries and claim to be championing minorities.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's the customers fault.

I mean everyone knew/knows that their clothes are made by slave labour (even child labour), but only an inconsequential minority cared because they'd rather enjoy the cheap clothing.

Man of Honour
One of those things that will take a massive shift in attitudes to change, Apple do better than the worst but that isn't worthy of praise. Frankly all their environmental talk gets erased after you speak to repair shops that have to deal with increasingly difficult to repair products.

Mezut Ozil hasn't played for Arsenal since he criticised China's camps and he believes it's because Arsenal don't want to be banished from the Chinese market, they're essentially putting their business interests ahead of human rights abuses whilst causing riots over in the west because they portray us as massively racist countries and claim to be championing minorities.

I know you won't reply but this is 100% false, he played plenty of games after the China comments.

Caporegime

There was a ridiculously stat on the radio that said there's currently 1.3 billion active apple phones and 2 billion devices.

A lot will obviously be older models but still.

Soldato
Apple discovered additional workers as young as 14 years old during an audit just three months later.
I was working two jobs at 14 and getting paid a pittance, so what's the difference betwixt that and these kids? Is it a case of faux outrage purely for the sake of being outraged?

Back
Top Bottom