Why couldn't there be another tax for NHS / Emergency Services?

Soldato
Want to see my pay slip? :rolleyes:

No, bit if you are PAYE on those salary bands you are of the minority of higher earning people who have little choice, and actually you should be butthurt because I am in a similar boat.

I work in mortgages and see these companies make huge efforts to prove to the tax man how little they earn, then when they come to me, prove how much they earn

Amazing what can be done with clever accounting.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It's all based on the maximising profits for the city. I prefer a more social responsibility approaches.

Soldato
I would like to see more taxes combined to reduce complexity. It seems to make no sense to have both NI and Income Tax - we should roll them into one payment rather than collect them separately. Somewhat like Vehicle Excise Duty - I'm not sure of the latest changes, but I know that previously it was supposedly used as a stick to push you to more fuel-efficient vehicles, with that being the case, why not abolish it and increase fuel duty to achieve the same measure? This also makes light use of vehicles more viable and punishes more heavy use.

Soldato
No, bit if you are PAYE on those salary bands you are of the minority of higher earning people who have little choice, and actually you should be butthurt because I am in a similar boat.

I work in mortgages and see these companies make huge efforts to prove to the tax man how little they earn, then when they come to me, prove how much they earn

Amazing what can be done with clever accounting.
Are you suggesting people not on PAYE should pay more than the system mandates? :confused:

Caporegime
i just dont understand the whole tax system.. it should just be one % for all regardless of what you earn.. and it would be 'fair' so person on 20k would pay les tax vs someone earning 40k/100k. .so these bands really p*** me off because the more hard work you do the more govt screws you.. in addition we have to pay council tax and NHS..

So do you propose we move everyone onto a 40% bracket so the poor cannot afford to buy anything bar the basics?

Because if we move everyone down to 20% the government would be broke.

Also people who earn more usually aren't the ones doing the hard graft.

The harder you work the lower paid you normally are. CEOs just delegate everything they can below them and then they delegate below them, etc.

Soldato
Well that very much depends on what your interpretation, or what you can legally define as the systems mandate.
Your sentence makes no sense. The system does legally define it, else they would be charged. I grew up receiving EMA, and so did my friends. Some of my friends parents were not on PAYE and took minimum payment with dividends. I didn't feel great about that as I really needed the EMA but the system allowed it.

Soldato
I think the worst I seen was a guy, retired police inspector (stand up guy right) who was running 3 residential care homes, all 3 under separate limited companies and then his "registered charity" on the side. Well two of the three limited companies were doing terribly due the horrific charges the 3rd company wax charging the other. The third company wasnt making that much either, probably due to the large "goodwill" payments to the charity. Anyway the long and short of it is, after hed "paid" his wife her tax free element of it, the pair of them had hundreds of thousands in the bank (personal funds) and were paying tax on about 20k.

But I see this **** all the time in varying degrees.

Soldato
I think the worst I seen was a guy, retired police inspector (stand up guy right) who was running 3 residential care homes, all 3 under separate limited companies and then his "registered charity" on the side. Well two of the three limited companies were doing terribly due the horrific charges the 3rd company wax charging the other. The third company wasnt making that much either, probably due to the large "goodwill" payments to the charity. Anyway the long and short of it is, after hed "paid" his wife her tax free element of it, the pair of them had hundreds of thousands in the bank (personal funds) and were paying tax on about 20k.

But I see this **** all the time in varying degrees.

That's not their fault though, morality aside. You do the best for yourself in this world, that's the Tory mantra, right? Get on your bike.

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't object to paying a bit more tax if it meant we had a nhs that wasn't constantly on the edge of crisis and that was before covid.

However they do need to spend what they already take in tax far better. Make the whole system more transparent, close all these stupid loopholes exploited by those who can afford it and stop the ridiculous backhand deals to mates of the tories.

Soldato
Why do we need an extra tax? It's already paid for out of National Insurance and Income Tax. Oh and the £350m a week that was written on the side of the bus now we left the EU.

We'd be better served by not spaffing money up the wall by using Serco for anything. Ever.

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

It is a good idea to think the tax would go into that very thing or place it is needed.
But no.
Businesses contributing to political parties and funding them for electoral campaigns are seeking the commerce of government contracts. Having worked in government agencies here are some examples.

Instead of having a funded team of biomedical staff, or nursing staff, to support 12 hour shift rotas, absences, and holidays etc. A healthy staffed NHS dept.
You fill the gaps of understaffing with Bank Staff from agencies. Who are paid to work anywhere at anytime and they are often on triple the normal hourly rate.

Printer contracts!
Instead of having a company supply and service you with printers and offer a call out service for maintenance and repairs.
You have a contract where you are charged per print! And not only per print but you are charged for both sides of the page. So every print you make you are paying for the blank side as well!

Mice. Standard 2 button scroll wheel simple mouse. £48. Standard keyboard. £85.
And you have a contract for an "IT" guy to come out to your office on a callout charge to then add an install charge to fit the mouse or keyboard!

A bin!

A standard little plastic bin for the side of your desk.... You can get them in poundland!

£15 each!

Taxpayer revenue is free cash. Shockingly free cash.
Anyone having ever worked with the costs of the MOD it is frightening how much basic parts cost once contracts are awarded.

So raising taxes just means the next company who just so happened to support the government and in some cases went to school with them ;) will be happy to raise the costs of their new contracts. To soak up that extra tax cash.

;)

Soldato
We already get taxed to death. They need to spend it better and get rid of the outsourcing gravy train.

100%

We simply need better spending on the governmental level and a complete crackdown on evasion. Which will likely never happen because, sadly, they're all at it.

How there hasn't been an open investigation into where all the PPE money went when millions were being handed to defunct companies with a 1-person board is beyond me. They'll brazenly steal money right in our faces and nothing will ever change.

Soldato
If you increase tax all that will happen is the not so rich/clever will pay the extra tax and the same old rich/clever will avoid it. So it will not end up being fair and just hit the same "working class" people.

Correctly using the billions the NHS gets will be a better/harder approach. Ultimately probably too hard because people are in it to fill their own pockets, I wish we lived in this perfect world but we don't, everyone wants their 10% on top of it.

A big problem is all these contracts that get dished out from the public sector. MOD is the same, people that make the initial contracts are either clueless or somehow getting a cushy number from it. Facilities maintenance for example... total rip off straight from the taxpayers pocket. Sure it will be the same across the board for NHS etc.

How do you solve that? Who wants to get involved without increasing their own bank account. Part of me doesn't blame people that can take advantage and make a good wedge from the public sector, but then morally you become part of the problem I guess.

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

Taxpayers helping a tax exempt charity as the Trussel Trust make a profit from food banks. In the 7th richest nation in the world...

Soldato
Having worked in government agencies here are some examples............................

Taxpayer revenue is free cash. Shockingly free cash.
Anyone having ever worked with the costs of the MOD it is frightening how much basic parts cost once contracts are awarded.

Alongside the infamous case of the Landrover headlight bulb worth 65p costing the MOD £22 I saw so much wasted money during my 20+ years in the Military, from badly written support contracts to constant specification changes after a design was finalised or an officer corps 3 times larger than it needed to be leading to fellow officers having to invent random jobs just to keep themselves employed, rather than stripping the overall number down as they should have done etc.

I have very little doubt that ANY government run or civil service led department is run differently and it would take an almighty shake-up of the entire government/civil service to fix, which is obviously never going to happen :(

Back
Top Bottom