NFL 2020 Season

Soldato
Personally, I thought to myself 'bugger, no way Jackson can do anything' when I saw Johnson had a blocker with him. Maybe, maybe... someone bigger could have shoved the blocker back into Johnson, but very unlikely.

Yeh it looked like the blocker had him covered. I was impressed with how quiet the defence kept Jackson all game though, the conditions probably helped a bit too.

I'm a bit disappointed it won't be a Bills Browns match up next week as I thought they might stage a comeback today. I can't see Mahomes playing next week after taking that hit though. He could barely stand up afterwards!

Soldato
Well done Buccs. I can't help but think the Packers were the better team, but it came down to the Buccs made the most of their turn overs and the Pack didn't...

Just watching the 4th Qtr of the Chiefs and Bills, but it feels like this one is over already.

Soldato
Just watching the 4th Qtr of the Chiefs and Bills, but it feels like this one is over already.

Yeh, I'm absolutely gutted but the better team won on the day. Mahomes was obviously over his concussion as he was immense, somehow everything he tried seemed to come off. After last week when our defence looked solid, we just couldn't stop them today, they were scything through with massive plays. I'm still not sure why we went for the field goal at the end of the half instead of the touchdown though as that would have closed the gap massively. It didn't help that Josh didn't have one of his better games, but their defence were on the ball today. I can't be too disappointed as we've got a good QB and squad and hopefully they can build on that experience for next year and come back stronger!

Soldato
going to be interesting for the rams next season, losing coaches left and right, talk that mcvay isn't impressed with goff's lack of improvement/even a decline so we may see walford as the starting qb.

hope they have a better draft than in recent season as well, especially as we gave our 1st round to jacksonville in the ramsey trade.

edit:

well it sounds like things are moving along:

Detroit will acquire Goff, a 2021 third-round pick and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Stafford

Last edited:
Soldato
So, Matthew Stafford has been traded to the Rams for 2 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder, along with Jared Goff. Wow! Is Stafford that much of an upgrade on Goff?

to me he is yes, my problem with it is we gave up multiple 1st rounders to GET goff then gave 2 away to get rid of him, just makes the front office look like idiots, thats without taking into account the contract they gave goff.

the concern for other teams is if the rams gave that for stafford what might they have to give up for watson :D

Associate
Stafford is certainly an upgrade for sure, but the deal seems a bit pricey given Stafford's age and the fact he wanted out of Detroit. That should have given the Rams a little more leverage.

One 1st, a 3rd and Goff would have been much more reasonable. That second first is the killer for me.

Soldato
One 1st, a 3rd and Goff would have been much more reasonable. That second first is the killer for me.

I saw one tweet saying this is what WFT had offered, so the Rams stepped it up a notch!

I'm not gonna lie, I'd have taken him to Washington for a 1st and 3rd... probably not two 1sts. I'd love for us to make an offer on Watson now, but this trade might have made it hard for everyone!

Soldato
Stafford is certainly an upgrade for sure, but the deal seems a bit pricey given Stafford's age and the fact he wanted out of Detroit. That should have given the Rams a little more leverage.

totally agree on giving to much away, but it doesnt suprise me , this is the front office who also gave goff the stupid contract in the 1st place, what makes it worse is you have to add that to what the rams gave up to move to 1st to get goff :

Tennessee gets: Rams first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

I'd love for us to make an offer on Watson now, but this trade might have made it hard for everyone!

as for the redskins 2 1sts and a 3rd wouldn't have been so bad for them as they really need a good qb which i think stafford is.

i'd have preferred the rams to go for watson over stafford but we didn't get to them before the texans got rid of the idiots that traded hopkins :D, also i doubt they would have taken goff off our hands :(

Associate
Stafford is a franchise QB. But that price is wow, just wow. If the rumours are true as to what Houston would want for Watson. I personally think it's too much.

These sort of trades rarely work out for the buyer and I can't help but feel the Lions have done very well. Although there is no doubt the Rams just upgraded.

EDIT: Just read the really good point, that Detriot got what what they did is because they are eating that awful Goff contract. So effectively another 1st rounder.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah considering stafford is usually pretty solid don't doubt the rams have just picked him up as he starts to fall to pieces :D

with watson i think they'll price it so high next to no one will want anything to do with the deal, have seen the new gm saying they don't want to trade him, thats all well and good but the damage has already been done by the owners/previous gm/hc

Associate
with watson i think they'll price it so high next to no one will want anything to do with the deal, have seen the new gm saying they don't want to trade him, thats all well and good but the damage has already been done by the owners/previous gm/hc

Problem is, if Watson is determined to go then Houston is limited in what they can do. The loss of value in keeping a QB who refuses to turn up will be unthinkable. Particularly in this market with 15-20 QB desperate teams. There are parallels to the Cutler situation in Denver in '09. Once he refused to even speak to the Broncos they had to trade him.

So the Texans can play the public PR game all they want but the decision is not all in their hands. The Texans are in for a massive haul of picks (even if there's only a few teams who can pay the rumoured price).

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/1355905785033854977

The Rams-Lions trade will have nothing to do with a Watson trade if the Texans do it. They'll want 2 ones, 2 twos and 2 young defensive starters, at the least. Watson, 25, under contract, great QB, team leader, beloved by fans, pillar of the community. Start with the Jets.

Associate
Indeed the 11% reduction is going to be a huge pain for many teams. Although I do think many of them would be prepared to break the bank for Watson and move/trade/cut existing rosters to make any deal work.

Associate
I don't follow NFL that closely, but Stafford numbers is pretty good for such a rubbish team as the Lions. I loosely support the Detroit teams in the other sports than the Red Wings (as I'm a massive hockey fan). I read somewhere that the Lions are the team that give up most points defensively per game, which doesn't make it easier for Stafford to win them games, even though he has the most 4th quarter come backs in the league (if my memory isn't playing up again).
Several Lions fans believes Stafford would have won the Super Bowl if he played on another team.

Soldato
OP
I don't follow NFL that closely, but Stafford numbers is pretty good for such a rubbish team as the Lions. I loosely support the Detroit teams in the other sports than the Red Wings (as I'm a massive hockey fan). I read somewhere that the Lions are the team that give up most points defensively per game, which doesn't make it easier for Stafford to win them games, even though he has the most 4th quarter come backs in the league (if my memory isn't playing up again).
Several Lions fans believes Stafford would have won the Super Bowl if he played on another team.

people call him a stat padder aka Stat Padford, it would be intresting to see him in a different team

Associate
I think he's similar to Rivers as a good regular season QB. And at times has been a top-10 QB and something the Lions could build around (hence my use of franchise QB earlier). But whether he can do that in the bigger games is up for debate.

The Rams are certainly gambling on their window so he won't have long to prove it.

Back
Top Bottom