Sidetone/Monitoring

Associate
I like headset/mic combos that provide this capability. To play back, into the speaker, the sound picked up by the mic. So I can hear myself speak (it reduces my shouting ..)

I prefer a closed-cup headset. Aside from my voice I don't want external noise creeping in.

There are a few USB headsets with DACs which offer this capability (eg Creative Soundblaster X H7).. Most do not. And, for open-cup headsets, of course there's less need (own-voice sounds leak in by design).

I noticed that only the very best reviews even mention whether products have it or not. It's generally overlooked. And by now everyone knows that the Windows 'feature' to playback is unusable in normal use, due to the delay.

The question: does anyone know how/if monitoring can work when the microphone is separate to.the headset? ie separate products? I do want a good quality external mic, but cannot forego monitoring to get it.

p.s. Sidetone is the name of this function in the context of landline telephones, where it still applies. Singers depend on monitoring too of course. And radio presenters all have it...

Soldato
The Sennheiser GSP 550 have this feature, though these are open back. The Creative Soundblaster G6 also has it. It was a feature I also wanted when I started looking into a new headset. I'd imagine the Sennheiser GSX 1000 also has it.

Soldato
I can't live without mic-monitoring, and it is really overlooked in spec sheets and reviews!

I have it in my wireless headset, but when wanting to go to wired for audio quality (+ Boom Mic) I was looking at
Creative X3 - This seems to have voice / game balance etc
Creative G6 - Some reports on reddit of sync issues/delay if using certain features, sounds like firmware problems which may have been resolved
Senn GSX1000 - Seems to be popular and I think I prefer the reviews of it regarding surround etc..

Associate
OP
I'll check out this GSX 1000.
I prefer a wired headset myself. One thing though: I do not like in'line dongles/controls. To find where they are I have to either *look* or trace ny fingers down the cable to find them.
On-ear controls are where it's at!

Back
Top Bottom