AX860 not enough for 3090

Soldato
Feel like a need a second pair of eyes on this, I'm also going to post in the O/C section as I'm not sure where the problem lies.

I'm getting power off/restarts in Hunt Showdown, and only Hunt which is the odd thing, I've recently completed 70+ hours in Cyberpunk without a single problem from what I remember. That game has massive media on being buggy so I may of had a shutdown and put it down to the game on that occasion.

My system consists on the below:
3090 (founders) @ 120% power +125 core
8700K @ 5.0g 1.31v (8Pack binned delidded) with Corsair H150i AIO 6 120mm RGB fans
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z370 + 16GB 3600mhz
3 further 120mm RGB fans for case
Multiple RGB strips and controllers
2X SATA SSD, 1X M.2 SSD, 1X spun drive

I have tried the following:
Checked all cabling to the PSU and MB is seated correctly
Stressed CPU overclock for several hours in Prime95 OCCT, Linpac and AIDA64
Stressed GPU for several hours across multiple benchmarks and games
Re-seated AIO to remove air bubbles
Re-applied thermal paste X 2
Stressed Memory

Max temps on GPU are 72C, CPU highest core in game 78c, VRM 72C.

A online PSU calculator suggest I need a 780W PSU

Now the reason I'm now questioning the PSU while although on paper is should be enough it is over 3.5 years old and has had a hard life. What's more is if I remove my GPU overclock and put it back to 100% power, everything is fine, if I run my CPU at stock speeds all is fine. It feels like I'm hitting a power peak and the system is crapping out. Could I be wrong? why only in one game that's the thing that's getting to me. Warzone fine, Assassins Creed fine.

Thanks for reading my wall of text :)

Man of Honour
The 3090FE can pull 360w at stock and anything up to 450w when clocked but should be adequately powered by a quality 860w psu such as yours even with the cpu overclocked as well. Are you sure it's not the gpu overclock at fault? I had a similar problem that only reared it's head in Civ VI and that turned out to be a unstable DDR4 overclock. It was perfectly fine in everything else but this one game made it fall over within 10 minutes. Have you tried powering the new 12 pin power plug from a pair of seperate pci-e leads and not a single lead that has daisy chained connectors?

Soldato
Stock Founders Edition 3090 has 550+W transients:
https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-and-common-decadence-if-price-is-not-all/16/
So who knows what it can draw when overclocked like that.

Also that 8700K is capable up to 150W level continuous power draw at stock and no doubt has higher transients.
And overlockig definitely doesn't help any.

So 1kW PSU wouldn't be out of place.

Though obviously could be about not completely 100% stable overclocking.

Associate
My 3080 with 450w bios and a 8700k @4.9 pulls around 650-680w on my 850w asus thor when looking at its display. I'm only running 90 core and 700 mem at the moment.

Associate
I had the same problem with the Ax860. Random shutdowns whilst gaming on a 3090fe.
Swapped in a 1000w psu and not had a random shutdown since.
As mentioned already, the card has high transient spikes and I guess the PSU has a sensitive ocp which is being tripped.

Associate
KitGuru got over 1000W out of AX860, is this same (2012) model, or was it updated?
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...rofessional-series-ax760-and-ax860-review/11/
That's the one I had.
It is great in a oc 9900k build with 373w 2080ti. But in the 5950x system of which is only using one ccd, and is undervolted (waiting on a block preorder to get my loop going, so have a small cooler on the 5950x) it randomly shutsdown even though its pulling less wattage than the 9900k rig. This is what leads me to think it's about transient spikes.

Soldato
That's the one I had.
It is great in a oc 9900k build with 373w 2080ti. But in the 5950x system of which is only using one ccd, and is undervolted (waiting on a block preorder to get my loop going, so have a small cooler on the 5950x) it randomly shutsdown even though its pulling less wattage than the 9900k rig. This is what leads me to think it's about transient spikes.
I would agree. Got me worried as I have a 2012 psu, fingers crossed :eek:

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to go PSU shopping, at least if I buy one off an online retailer like the rain forest I can return if I still get power offs.
Soon as I drop power on the GPU or CPU it becomes more stable, I can play for longer but I'm still getting crashes, could just be a buggy ass game as well.

Future proofing for an I9 or equivalent what should I go for to pair it with my 3090, 1000w or just jump to a 1200, or is that wasting money

Associate
If I had to guess, I’d say it’s that your overclock is unstable in certain games. Maybe dial it back 25-50 MHz, and see if that fixes the issue.

Man of Honour
Could be difficult to narrow down what the cause is but these Ampere cards do tend to have some nasty transients - unfortunately my power monitor only updates at a couple of Hz so can't accurately capture them but looks like my 3070FE at times can suddenly spike over +200watt and that will be worse on a 3090 if it does similar and could be some PSUs simply can't respond quickly enough or something even when the total is within their on paper capabilities.

Soldato
Could be difficult to narrow down what the cause is but these Ampere cards do tend to have some nasty transients - unfortunately my power monitor only updates at a couple of Hz so can't accurately capture them but looks like my 3070FE at times can suddenly spike over +200watt and that will be worse on a 3090 if it does similar and could be some PSUs simply can't respond quickly enough or something even when the total is within their on paper capabilities.
3070FE has 350+ W transients in gaming.
https://www.igorslab.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8a-Gaming-Zoom-Power.png
https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...ampere-can-also-economic-and-cuddly-small/12/

Man of Honour
That looks like approx. +150watt spikes above load condition couple of maybe +175watt roughly - problem is I think these are very short duration and even that sampling resolution might not be accurately capturing them. As mentioned in the article it is possible some power supplies, especially ageing ones just can't cope with demands that quick even though they are considerably over the required wattage on paper. (EDIT: and/or as per the article aren't well enough designed to handle demands of that pattern without tripping protection circuits).

One of the reasons I tend to err on the side of recommending people buy a higher spec PSU than they strictly "need".

Soldato
OP
Interesting that there are people happily running 3090's on 850w PSU's, without an issue, or at least an application that's found the issue yet. Mine's fine in 70 hours of Cyberpunk which really pushes my machine CPU and GPU, yet a 3 year old Crytek game spikes the hell out of it.

Associate
The 3080 and 3090 cards spike quite heavily during certain operations.

would be ok running 860 watt Corsair PSU for a 3080 but the issue is that the sudden jump in power draw triggers the over current over current protection.

Glad OP came right with a bigger psu.

Back
Top Bottom