Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
I don't understand why memory foam mattresses are expensive tbh. It's technology freely available for mass production and it's foam.

They probably spend as much on the marketing as the mattress. :)

Can't stand them myself, cheap low-mid range sprung mattress with a decent topper works for me.

Caporegime
They probably spend as much on the marketing as the mattress. :)

Can't stand them myself, cheap low-mid range sprung mattress with a decent topper works for me.

It was developed by NASA you shouldn't really need to have a massive marketing budget than sticking a label somewhere that says that on it.

People walking in and seeing developed by NASA plastered on a mattress would buy it.

Soldato
It was developed by NASA you shouldn't really need to have a massive marketing budget than sticking a label somewhere that says that on it.

People walking in and seeing developed by NASA plastered on a mattress would buy it.

That would count for every memory foam mattress, so how do you think one brand sells more than another? As well as what we have now is not the same as the original NASA product.

If you look a memory foam mattresses there a little more to them then just a block of foam.

Associate
Tempurpedic's cost 4k, and it's "just foam". All the mattress in a box companies are basically just Tempurpedic clones, due to the patents expiring. I'm pretty sure they all source their foams from the same companies, and it will be made similar to Tempurpedic. I think the impression of it being "cheap" is that you can compress foam really easily, so you can stick it in a box unlike a traditional sprung mattress. But the investment to create a factory to produce the foam is quite substantial, probably far more than any of the materials in a sprung mattress.

A problem though with a lot of the mattress in a box companies is they use softer foams than Tempurpedic, because it's easier to sell "soft beds", especially in the US. If they used harder foams it would basically be indistinguishable from Tempurpedic, but the rate of returns would probably be higher since out of the box it will immediately feel uncomfortable if you're not used to it.

All mattresses are absurdly overpriced in my opinion, both sprung and foam. I think the exception are latex mattresses, which is why they generally are not emphasized much on sites - natural latex is quite expensive to buy wholesale. But even latex mattresses will have a healthy margin.

Associate
I use this topper with my John Ryan artisan natural, it’s wonderful - https://www.devonduvets.com/wool-mattress-topper-king
Do you use it on a medium or firm mattress? I’m considering a John Ryan mattress and one of these but don’t know if it’s worth one of these on a medium or not.

Their site says to get medium up to 16 stone and I’m 11 stone. I’ve always had medium mattresses too

Soldato
If you give them a ring they're pretty good on advising. I have the Origins 1500 or whatever it's called and it's great as a medium. Someone else in the family has the Artisan, also in a Medium and it is more than firm enough. The Artisan to me feels firmer just because it doesn't seem to rely on the Springs as much, the materials are much better giving the impression of a firmer, less springy mattress, all imo of course.

Associate
If you give them a ring they're pretty good on advising. I have the Origins 1500 or whatever it's called and it's great as a medium. Someone else in the family has the Artisan, also in a Medium and it is more than firm enough. The Artisan to me feels firmer just because it doesn't seem to rely on the Springs as much, the materials are much better giving the impression of a firmer, less springy mattress, all imo of course.
I have been advised, it's hard because there is no way to test and I've got a bad back every morning and neck throughout the day on my current medium mattress I only bought a few years ago. It's a big expense to keep getting wrong.

Associate
Do you use it on a medium or firm mattress? I’m considering a John Ryan mattress and one of these but don’t know if it’s worth one of these on a medium or not.

Their site says to get medium up to 16 stone and I’m 11 stone. I’ve always had medium mattresses too

Medium, with the topper the mattress is still very supportive, but feels like you’re laying on a cloud.

Soldato
All mattresses are absurdly overpriced in my opinion, both sprung and foam.

This is a fairly sweeping statement. I watched a programme (inside the factory maybe) where they were making mattresses. The manufacturer needed a big production unit, various pieces of equipment, dedicated labour for each mattress, plus all the materials required to put one together. After that comes storage and transport of big, bulky items (assuming the mattress isn't rolled).

Of course there'll be a profit margin, but I doubt your £500 mattress turns a £400 profit.

Associate
My artisan naturals arrived yesterday along with the sprung divan from John Ryan. The delivery company brought it to the bedroom, then just left, leaving me to unpack everything and put it together - I get that some people may not be happy with having someone in the house longer to put it together, but it's part of the service and I wasn't offered it - Which was a shame, especially now I've got all this packaging to remove!

Sadly a drawer on the mattress was broken, a quick call to John Ryan put that right with a new one in the way in the post to me soon. Apart from those little issues, after one night with the bed I'm so far pretty happy, we'll see whether my good nights sleep was a one off or not!

Associate
My artisan naturals arrived yesterday along with the sprung divan from John Ryan. The delivery company brought it to the bedroom, then just left, leaving me to unpack everything and put it together - I get that some people may not be happy with having someone in the house longer to put it together, but it's part of the service and I wasn't offered it - Which was a shame, especially now I've got all this packaging to remove!

Sadly a drawer on the mattress was broken, a quick call to John Ryan put that right with a new one in the way in the post to me soon. Apart from those little issues, after one night with the bed I'm so far pretty happy, we'll see whether my good nights sleep was a one off or not!

This must be due to COVID, when I had mine delivered they assembled everything and took away all packaging.

Associate
I’m considering this one too, how’s it been and did you get medium or firm?

Based on their recommendations I got the medium. I usually like a medium/soft bed and so far it's been really good - I usually have trouble with my back in the morning, especially if I stay in bed any longer than normal. So far it's been great, I can only really describe it as soft enough, but supportive enough at the same time for me. My previous mattress was a pocket sprung with a small layer of foam on top, this however is like a different world. I'm most curious about how it is in a few months time once things have settled in the bed a bit.

This must be due to COVID, when I had mine delivered they assembled everything and took away all packaging.

I must admit I had assumed that was the reason when the delivery guys left, but having spoken to JR about the drawer issue they confirmed the delivery company are being paid to assemble and should offer the service upon delivery.

Associate
I've spent a lot of time over the past year or so lurking on this thread, waiting to be in the position to be able to buy myself a new mattress... just placed my order now, gone for a John Ryan Origins Pocket 1500 :) bought myself a new bed frame too (from elsewhere), so hoping they'll make a good combo and make for a cozy nights sleep!

Soldato
I've spent a lot of time over the past year or so lurking on this thread, waiting to be in the position to be able to buy myself a new mattress... just placed my order now, gone for a John Ryan Origins Pocket 1500 :) bought myself a new bed frame too (from elsewhere), so hoping they'll make a good combo and make for a cozy nights sleep!

I have that one, currently 5 years on and still just as comfortable and supportive as the first day. I turn it/rotate it every few weeks. Only issue is most of my fitted sheets weren't deep enough! Had to buy deeper ones.

Back
Top Bottom