Road Cycling

Soldato
China freight prices I'm talking about. The tariff and delays at the border are a separate thing.
Ahhh. Crazy the container prices have gone that high. I get it with imports/handling/taxes etc, but hadn't appreciated the actual shipping had gone up that crazy amount too?! Guessing it's the handling side of things at distribution side, coupled with the weaker sterling just ramping them right up.

Good to see Cube getting a handle on things for the UK market, guessing the others will be (or are doing) something similar. The UK bike market is pretty huge at the moment for them.

Best price I've ever seen on 6800 large chainring (50T) - https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-chainrings-74822.html

In past I've just bought 5800 for similar price but it does look pretty odd on a 6800 spider and the last one only lasted a year or so.
£60 for a 50t is the only bigger ring in stock, the 52t and 53t are £85. Fairly normal prices, but considering you could get one with cranks & rings for ~£120 not long ago...

Paid £119 for my R8000 new from Wiggle in July '19, now look at the prices. Considering I picked up a 5800 chainset AND cassette for £98 in 2016. Ouch. :o

Soldato
Yeah. I've got a spare 52/36 105 Chainset hanging around that I paid £64 for but I kinda like 50/34 on this bike :)

I've never seen the 6800 chainring below £90 odd.

Soldato
Right. I'm fed up of my RD cable snapping. Caught it fraying in shifter last night. It's almost every 2 months now. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. My only thought is that I think it's snapped a bit more frequently since I put R7000 derailleur on. I've replaced it due to snaps on this bike about 20 times at this point!

I guess I need to buy the fancy RD loop - https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/GCSHIMRS900240/shimano-sis-ot-rs900-gear-cable-240mm and give it a go. That's my only suspicion really. Any other ideas?

Soldato
Right. I'm fed up of my RD cable snapping. Caught it fraying in shifter last night. It's almost every 2 months now. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. My only thought is that I think it's snapped a bit more frequently since I put R7000 derailleur on. I've replaced it due to snaps on this bike about 20 times at this point!

I guess I need to buy the fancy RD loop - https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/GCSHIMRS900240/shimano-sis-ot-rs900-gear-cable-240mm and give it a go. That's my only suspicion really. Any other ideas?

505 hydraulic brifters have a replaceable white cable guide just before entry behind the hoods, this wears over time and will fray cables.

Thread about it https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20583372

Soldato

Shimano 11 speed shifters do love gnawing on inner gear cables. The rear section is just more flexible than standard to help with removal of the wheel when you pull the mech backwards. Shouldn't make any change to the shifter eating cables.

Hmm. No replaceable guide in 5800 shifters though.

They don't have that ridiculous ******* guide that is fitted to the 505 but the 90 bend the cable takes does run in a replaceable part.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/ev/ST-5800/EV-ST-5800-3711.pdf

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-duraace-st9000-sl-cable-guide-right-hand-y63x63000/

Might be worth a shot and use a ferrule with the slot in it/longer tongue. Haven't really found much of a solution myself.

Standard Shimano HTII BB labelled SM-BB71-41 is a 'BB86' isn't it?

Yeah BB71 41B is road press fit. The only difference between A and B is the inner shell width from what I've seen.

Soldato
They don't have that ridiculous ******* guide that is fitted to the 505 but the 90 bend the cable takes does run in a replaceable part.
That's interesting thanks. Is that a plastic part?

This shifter isn't actually all that old but I do feel like I've had more snaps since moving to R7000 derailleur. Maybe I've just been riding in much worse conditions.

Haven't really found much of a solution myself.
SRAM Etap I guess or new bike :D

Soldato
That's interesting thanks. Is that a plastic part?

This shifter isn't actually all that old but I do feel like I've had more snaps since moving to R7000 derailleur. Maybe I've just been riding in much worse conditions.

SRAM Etap I guess or new bike :D

Aye it's plastic. I've never noticed it to be the issue.

Most of the time it's on the actual drum part where the head is held and it spreads out towards the turn.

Soldato
First ride outdoors of the year today! :o

Garmin went flat, power meter flat (didn’t get anywhere near the 300hrs on the factory battery, maybe 50-100?!).

Cold and dry, lower humidity for a change, today was the better day, windy but yesterday was super fierce gales.

Nice ride for a couple of hours, nothing particularly specific just tempoing along! <3 the winter bike!

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed about 3.5 hours on the big fat tyres about 98% on the roads. 51.5 miles at 15mph average including a chunk of climbing on mostly proper back lanes with a layer of gravel in the middle/big potholes. Had so much more confidence just plugging along and not worrying about dodging stuff or how I'm going to stop.

Was amazingly quiet for cars, but bloody busy for walkers and cyclists.

Soldato
First day outside for me since the 2nd of January.

******* freezing!

Managed to keep about the pace I wanted , wee bit less to look after my mate who's been a stoned mess since Christmas.

Soldato
First day outside for me since the 2nd of January.

******* freezing!

Managed to keep about the pace I wanted , wee bit less to look after my mate who's been a stoned mess since Christmas.

Yeah I had to break into the deep winter gear, something I’ve never worn here cos if it’s cold enough for it normally then it’s icey!

Windproof fleecy skull cap and the lobster gloves!

Afraid Brian Holm would call me a ballet dancer as I had winter tights on.

Soldato
I wore a gilet over a Gabba. First time ever. Was alright though... better than wearing one thick gore fleece jacket I have. I find that bulky.

Nice dry roads for the most part.

Caporegime
Only had my bike (Boardman HYB 8.8) since June 2020 and a recent puncture next to a Halfords brought attention to my ailing chain and cassette. They looks like mangled shark's teeth. Specs for cassette and chain are below, should I just source the exact same components? Or any recommendations for alternatives?

Shimano Deore, 11-42t, 10 speed. (11-13-15-18-21-24- 28-32-37-42)
KMC X10

Does anyone have a recommendation for an outdoor cover? The two bike one I have seems very hit and miss - some mornings I can see rust starting to form on the chain and others it's fine. Thanks :).

Soldato
Hmm. If your cassette is that bad how are your chainrings? Photos?

You could change the cassette for different gear ratios if you feel it would help.

Any 10 speed chain will do really but KMC X10 will be fine too. Maybe SRAM PC1030 if available (I use 1130s). I'm not sure an outdoor cover would really stop rust unless a) bike is fully dry b) no moisture can get in under cover. Treat your bike well - bring it into the lounge :D

Caporegime
Hmm. If your cassette is that bad how are your chainrings? Photos?

You could change the cassette for different gear ratios if you feel it would help.

Any 10 speed chain will do really but KMC X10 will be fine too. Maybe SRAM PC1030 if available (I use 1130s). I'm not sure an outdoor cover would really stop rust unless a) bike is fully dry b) no moisture can get in under cover. Treat your bike well - bring it into the lounge :D
Thanks for the quick reply. I think the chainring is fine but can get some photos at lunch. I think the technician also mentioned the chain being a bit loose. I try and clean it as much as I can but perhaps could give it a bit more love from now on, it's done around 2,300 miles since I bought it last summer. However this is my first bike since childhood so got some catching up to do regarding maintenance. Will look at the alternative cassette, need to learn about teeth/ratios next and the significance.

As for storage, I have stored it in the kitchen for most of its life as I am too scared to leave it anywhere out of my sight. And then recently started locking it in the garden, I might bring it back in.

Back
Top Bottom