Road Cycling

Soldato
I've found SRAM chains rust easier if not cared for, so stick with Shimano/KMC for my CX and winter bikes.

Chains and Cassettes last for ages if you keep them clean, soon as you leave them dirty and crunching around for mile after mile they soon wear. Suspect this may be the case.

Soldato
I've done 18,000 miles on my summer bike, and my chain rings are fine. I'd be amazed if his are knackered on a bike not even a year old. If they are, it must be made of cheese.
It was purely based on the sharks teeth cassette comment. On the flipside I had a 105 chainring last a shade over 10k miles :( The ultegra chainring lasted closer to 25k.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think the chainring is fine but can get some photos at lunch. I think the technician also mentioned the chain being a bit loose. I try and clean it as much as I can but perhaps could give it a bit more love from now on, it's done around 2,300 miles since I bought it last summer. However this is my first bike since childhood so got some catching up to do regarding maintenance. Will look at the alternative cassette, need to learn about teeth/ratios next and the significance.

As for storage, I have stored it in the kitchen for most of its life as I am too scared to leave it anywhere out of my sight. And then recently started locking it in the garden, I might bring it back in.
Not sure what the technician means by "loose". It could be mildly stretched. You can buy a cheap Park Tool chain checker to assess this yourself (and do it regularly).

In theory chain should have lasted 2300 miles but yes it depends on the cleaning. I'd be kinda surprised if the cassette is worn after that length of time unless the chain is seriously worn.

Soldato
I've found SRAM chains rust easier if not cared for, so stick with Shimano/KMC for my CX and winter bikes.

Chains and Cassettes last for ages if you keep them clean, soon as you leave them dirty and crunching around for mile after mile they soon wear. Suspect this may be the case.
Interesting. I find my SRAM chain does rust quickly but that's only if I don't bother to lube it quick enough after a wash. Anecdotally I'd say the KMC I've got on my Giant is louder than a SRAM though I've yet to try a SRAM on that bike.

Soldato
6800 are hollow so tend to be more expensive, think R8000 RRP is £140??

Checked today and a system six ultegra is now £5k. The bike I was riding is also £5k.
Ahhh, I hadn't actually appreciated the 6800 where more expensive than R8000! :o

Agreed. Crazy pricing. Does that look set to continue? Shop margins changing due to supply shortages or just the same partner %'s?

Right. I'm fed up of my RD cable snapping. Caught it fraying in shifter last night. It's almost every 2 months now. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. My only thought is that I think it's snapped a bit more frequently since I put R7000 derailleur on. I've replaced it due to snaps on this bike about 20 times at this point!
It's probably slightly misleading about the R7000 being worse due to the fact you know you've changed it and made little (or no) difference.

Still crazy that you're seeing it still. Did you change shifters at some point too, or never quite get to that stage? Wouldn't recommend it at the moment...!

Yeah BB71 41B is road press fit. The only difference between A and B is the inner shell width from what I've seen.
Ok thanks. Was considering the a wheelsmfg option (as so impressed by my other), but really the shimano one for 1/3 the price is pretty unmissable. Especially as the one in the turbo bike is probably 5 years old at this point.

No special tools for removal/fitting are there? I've got everything for the Wheelsmfg PF-30 and Praxis M30 options. Looks like just knock it out and then drift the cups back in? The nylon bearing covers don't come out do they?

First ride outdoors of the year today! :o
Haha good work! I've only done 1 of them (but several Nursery runs). Weather has been grim here the last 3 weekends on the trot. Last 2 have had some kinda clear spells, but damp and below freezing winds. Although next weekend looks better...

I've actually done my sunday afternoon 2-3 hour garage Zwift sessions with a heater on. :o

Had so much more confidence just plugging along and not worrying about dodging stuff or how I'm going to stop.
Tubeless and big tyres is king! Now if only I could fit bigger than 32mm under my guards... ;)

Afraid Brian Holm would call me a ballet dancer as I had winter tights on.
Lol WTF?! Not heard him say that. Crazy Norwegians, or is he Danish. One of the two. Saw a guy probably related to him this morning. Bare bright red beetroot legs. Nuts.

If they are, it must be made of cheese.
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2346-hyb-8.8-2021.html

It's a £750 retail hybrid so not exactly made for longevity. Single upfront so should probably be ok, but it is quite likely made of cheese. The special kind of FSA chainring soft cheese that I found with my old Gossamer! ;) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It's probably slightly misleading about the R7000 being worse due to the fact you know you've changed it and made little (or no) difference.

Still crazy that you're seeing it still. Did you change shifters at some point too, or never quite get to that stage? Wouldn't recommend it at the moment...!
Yeah I changed to 105 5800 shifters some time back after I snapped a 6800 left.

I wouldn't say the R7000 is definitely worse but I feel like since I changed to R7000 derailleur in May 2019 (pre-Fred) I've had less lifetime from a gear cable. I'm convinced there must be something with the frame design that adds extra stress on cables as while others have reported snapping in shifters no one seems to get it to quite same frequency. Maybe I just shift a lot?

I picked up one of those 6800 chainrings. Surprised to see it arrive next day from Merlin with a free tube of clif bloks :cool:

Caporegime
It was purely based on the sharks teeth cassette comment. On the flipside I had a 105 chainring last a shade over 10k miles :( The ultegra chainring lasted closer to 25k.

Not sure what the technician means by "loose". It could be mildly stretched. You can buy a cheap Park Tool chain checker to assess this yourself (and do it regularly).

In theory chain should have lasted 2300 miles but yes it depends on the cleaning. I'd be kinda surprised if the cassette is worn after that length of time unless the chain is seriously worn.

Hhhmm swore it looked more pronounced when I checked it a few days ago :o:p. Some teeth are a bit skewed and bent, plus I have noticed it sounds a bit grindy on some gears. As for the rust, the lighter/more dusty type on there, that's all from the last two days whilst unused and covered in my garden. The chainring seems fine.

Soldato
1. It looks like your chain has never seen any form of oil ever! Get some on there!
2. Your chain ring is fine.
3. Cassette doesn't look too bad. Replace it if you can, but I've seen much worse!

Is your chain stretched? If you don't have a tool, you can measure between each pin. Should be 1 inch.

If you replace the cassette, replace the chain too.

Caporegime
1. It looks like your chain has never seen any form of oil ever! Get some on there!
2. Your chain ring is fine.
3. Cassette doesn't look too bad. Replace it if you can, but I've seen much worse!

Is your chain stretched? If you don't have a tool, you can measure between each pin. Should be 1 inch.

If you replace the cassette, replace the chain too.
That's so weird, I gave the whole bike a full scrub down about a week ago :p and use this lube. None of the rust on the chain was there a couple of days ago, and the bike hasn't been used since. Took a video of the chain, one min...

Edit:

Last edited:
Soldato
Have Mavic stopped selling footwear? Seems to be basically out of stock everywhere.

They were the only shoes I found that fit well. Might have to try Sidi I guess...

Soldato
Have Mavic stopped selling footwear? Seems to be basically out of stock everywhere.

They were the only shoes I found that fit well. Might have to try Sidi I guess...

Stopped selling everything haven’t they!

Roady, Brian Holm was getting it in the neck for rolling out the hard man rubbish about only riding in shorts and tights were for ballet dancers, throwing shade their way, all the while his website/clothing range includes tights...

It’s a modern world we can move on from whose the “hardest” and my dads bigger than your dad etc.

Wear what you want and ride what you want.

Soldato
Roady, Brian Holm was getting it in the neck for rolling out the hard man rubbish about only riding in shorts and tights were for ballet dancers, throwing shade their way, all the while his website/clothing range includes tights...
I didn't get this... he sells tights still?

I saw the Rouleur article though. Kinda funny.

Soldato
Hhhmm swore it looked more pronounced when I checked it a few days ago :o:p. Some teeth are a bit skewed and bent, plus I have noticed it sounds a bit grindy on some gears. As for the rust, the lighter/more dusty type on there, that's all from the last two days whilst unused and covered in my garden. The chainring seems fine.

As mentioned, the chainring and cassette look good. Just very 'dry'!

The rust you're seeing is mostly due to that, but also it being put away damp (impossible not to this time of year, especially if storing outside or putting away after cleaning without fully drying & lubing). The increased amount of salt on the roads just makes things rust very very quickly. You'll see it with the disks on your car too if it's stood for a few days. But in your case it's that really light 'dusty' colour. It's very light surface dust due to the surfaces being 'dry' from salt water washing away the lube (or not enough being there), then it kinda dries out and rusts. It'll sound extra squeaky when ridden as it's so dry. A good scrub with a chain cleaner, or even a good hard rub with a rag and some GT85 will clear that right off, then lube it up.

Cassettes can be tricky. It's very hard to tell 'by eye' if you're spreading the gears you're using that they're worn. That's why a chain checker is a sound investment - if you're looking at doing your own maintenance. If you're not looking to do your own maintenance then be prepared for your halfords/LBS to recommend you a new chain and cassette every year or so whenever they see it (it's not in their best interest for you to get maximum wear out of your components)...

I'm probably a bad one for this (as I probably don't change cassettes as frequently as I should, so I get through lots of chains), but I judge it by when usually the shifting gets a little 'grindy', or skips if you can't see any defined wear on the most used parts of the cassette. What I tend to look for are the corners on the cogs themselves in these heavy traffic areas of the cassette (where riding & changing more). So on a hybrid like yours, (mostly ridden on the road?), that would be the upper end of the cassette.

Soldato
As most of you know I suffer cold hands/feet pretty bad, but like to ride outside despite the pain, I picked up some cheap insole warmers last week and a portable usb power pack and went out on Sunday morning, it was 0c average across the ride, but it was revolutionary, my feet were warm throughout with just one pair of socks on compared to my 2-3 i've been riding over the past few months. Best part is that it cost less than £15 total.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001355182213.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1ba14c4dqDhuSI and one of these battery packs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Fas...Name=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2

Soldato
Hmm, the heated soles are an interesting idea. I struggle with cold hands and feet too. Do you just run the power cable up the inside of your bib tights to the battery in your jersey pocket? (Mind you, there is no way that eBay battery is 50,000mAh!?!?!!)

Soldato
Hmm, the heated soles are an interesting idea. I struggle with cold hands and feet too. Do you just run the power cable up the inside of your bib tights to the battery in your jersey pocket? (Mind you, there is no way that eBay battery is 50,000mAh!?!?!!)

Yeah pretty much, one up each leg, and yes that battery pack is noway near that much, it had 25% left when I got home and sorted about 4 and a bit hours after I started, but did the job perfectly fine!

Soldato
Haha. I was thinking how is that battery 50000mah too! Sounds like it takes a bit of time to dress before each ride but I guess worth it for warm feet! I don't do too badly with just toe warmers when it's dry but struggle when it's wet. I've got a nice pair of Mavic boots and they work but I really find them too bulky.

Back
Top Bottom