Long commute to kickstart career - good idea?

Soldato
Applied for a trainee position job that would be a huge benefit to my career and also within a company that i could progress to more senior postions. Two downsides is the 2 hour commute and the pay is the same (worse if i include travel expenses) as my current job.
The pay aint a particular problem aslong as it goes up and i can progress as the advert says. But im not too sure about the 2 hour travel. For my circumstances i dont see it as a problem as by the time i leave work i can head to my partners work and pick her up. The journey seems easy enough with mostly on the M3. I just think that it would be great to get a couple years experience with them and either look closer to home or if i really get on well and earn a good wage then maybe move a bit closer.
For reference i dont have kids or any commitmnets that i need to be anywhere at a certain time, only to take my partner to work and pick her up (7-7 3 days a week).

Man of Honour
It would have to be some serious money or lead fairly directly to something advantageous for me to do a 2 hour commute.

My current boss is doing a 2 hour each way commute and you can see the effect it has on him, he replaced someone who burnt out doing an hour and a half commute each way and couple of people back before her we had a boss who was doing similar and only stuck it out for the career advancement potential.

Soldato
I spent 15 years doing 2 hours door to door each on public transport and highly recommend that no-one else should ever do this. I was lucky enough to flexible hours or it wouldn’t have been possible.

Man of Honour
2 hours round trip I'd say go for it, 2 hours each way absolutely not.

When I'm in the office and the world isn't on it's head my commute ranges from 1-1.5 each way, possibly stretching to 2 hours in the evening if the traffic is bad or a road is closed and it definitely sucks the life out of you.

Caporegime
Personally couldn't, life is too good to be spent driving to work. Unless its a temporary commitment, as in a year of this but it'll see huge gains and you're life will then significantly improve then yeah - go for it. But if you can't see yourself moving there, or a huge increase in QOL then don't bother IMO.

Soldato
No chance I would do a 2 hour each way commute, 5 days a week.

Id consider it if there was maybe 2-3 days a week working from home and the prospects of development were genuinely so much better than your current job but even then, I'd still be reluctant.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I did something a bit similar many years ago, took a role for similar money that I knew would be a great stepping point for the future.

It was about a 2.5 hour drive each way and I decided at the start that it wasn't something I would do every day so ended up renting a room during the week where the job was and spent 4 nights there.

It was pretty horrible having to do it, whilst we didn't have kids then still wasn't nice being away from home all week, plus paying the mortgage and rent on a room meant I wasn't left with much at the end of the month.

But after just 6 months I got poached for a role elsewhere for more money, and 5 months after that got head hunted again and 9 years on I'm still there on far more money that I ever thought I'd earn.

And it's largely due to taking that risk on the role away from home.

So it does suck, but if it will lead to good things later it might be worth the pain now to give you a leg up later.

Associate
No way for 2 hour commute each way, you will regret it. Spending time at home with family is far more important than an extra few quid in your back pocket IMO.

I struggle with a 15 minute commute each way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wouldn’t recommend it. I didn’t mind the commute and the driving itself, it was the time out of my day that annoyed me. It felt like I was working longer days.

Man of Honour
I'd go against the grain slightly here, if it is really a good opportunity you couldn't get locally and you think it'll have a positive effect on your career then seriously consider it. A lot of jobs are beginning to allow a good percentage of home working, although its likely not the case initially if you do well and progress you may get the option. A few years committing will be horrible (tip: audio books), but it could seriously pay off later down the line.

Back
Top Bottom