Struggling to enjoy gaming?

Pet Northerner
Don
36 year old here - I like you grew up in the golden age of gaming (16bit - early 00's) and newer AAA games very rarely keep me hooked past the run and gun or DOOM and Wolfensteain.

I tend to play either citybuilders /factory games / minecraft (I keep a server to play with f&f) and play PUBG occasionally to do some multiplayer with my brother and close friends. For a change I also dabble in "indie" games, two recent hits of Hades and Dead Cells have been remarkable fun.

Caporegime
The problem with many AAA titles (especially Ubisoft stuff) is that they are purely large-scale, often pretty, time sinks.

I will take a linear, but great story-driven game with well written characters any day over what are essentially open-world second jobs. Grind grind grind. (Not that I don't have at least 1 grind game on the go at any given time thanks to mobile gaming).

Soldato
Some very good SP story driven games out there. I completed A Plague Tale: Innocence last night, excellent game. Try avoid online games, might be burning you out?

Yep there is some great SP games out there that are also just the right length to complete as well without getting boring. I recently played The Medium which was good and not overly long that it becomes a grind.
Unlike some AAA games such as AC Valhalla that are just a complete repetitive grind with a somewhat boring story.

I tend to look on gamepass more now days for stuff. I have been disappointed with most games I have paid for on release, last being Cyberpunk 2077, since then I got a refund on that and have just played content on gamepass.

I think we are going through a boring patch at the moment as well that doesn't help, saying that there has been the odd good game in recent weeks like I mentioned as well as Hitman 3 which looks good fun.

Associate
I can relate OP, in the first hard lockdown (March 2020) I installed GTA IV and the immersion had me lost for a few weeks which was great, its what I am constantly chasing in games to be so dialled in that you forget about everything else. Its rare for a game to have that effect on me nowadays which is a real shame, I had high hopes for CP2077 but that went floppy as most already know. I don't know what the answer is, I'm not sure I can even be bothered to try anything new unless it receives hype either - I'm doomed lol

Soldato
Some very good SP story driven games out there. I completed A Plague Tale: Innocence last night, excellent game. Try avoid online games, might be burning you out?

A plagues tale was fantastic, i also just completed Metro Exodus which was excellent, i find open world games pretty dull, give me a great linear game any day of the week with a good story.

Associate
In the cyberpunk shareholder meeting that got leaked, the developers told their shareholders they had added features in the game to get players addicted

Got a source for this? Intrigued but couldn't find anything.

Not surprised, well in actual fact more surprised to hear there was any feature in the game that anyone would get addicted to - Playing on Series X bugs and all and I'm powering on with it purely out of boredom really (even then on/off)

Soldato
Another mid 30s here. Another vote for games like Factorio/Rimworld/Don't Starve. I will say though, I'm deliberately avoiding them too, since they're the biggest time sinks, and whilst I enjoy them, I unfortunately can't afford to drop hours and hours into them at the moment (maybe without home schooling I could :D). Would also say that Divinity original sin 2 was fantastic, and I recently enjoyed the witcher 3, will consider playing through mass effect again if EA play comes to PC game pass, but we'll see.

I have recently bought a quest 2 though, and play that daily. Usually a few goes of beat saber, sometimes in the evening a relaxing time in Real VR fishing (meet up with my old man, who I've not physically seen for over a year now). Have been playing Asgards Wrath (rpg) in that too. Got to say, after playing an 1st person RPG in VR, I suspect I'll struggle to enjoying one as much on a monitor. Would love to have something like Mass effect in VR...

Soldato
38 here, grew up with the likes of Turrican and Cannon Fodder for hours on end till I couldn't take my mum moaning at me to get out more. Now a new title will quite easily get deleted within 10 minutes of playing, nothing holds my attention for long, the latest Hitman, Assassin's creed etc all same old stuff redone.
I tend to stick with online multiplayer games, BF always hooks me, Warzone did for a couple of months last year. Looking forward to a few things coming though - new Res Evil, the last FPS one was excellent, Dying light, I have fond memories of Vampire Bloodlines so there's hope there.

Last summer I nearly sold my PC due to not touching it and buying a Mountain bike instead. Glad I didn't though, I'll always be a gamer, I just don't have the time for repetitive done it before titles which we seem to get year in year out. But there's always a odd game that pops up that refreshing and worth the time.

It's good watching my Son complete his first run though Doom Eternal, knowing I played the original Doom at his age and was mind blown back in the day. How things of come along in the industry.

Soldato
35 year old gamer here and kinda hit this point in my life as well.
AAA games tend to bore me rather quickly. Just seems to be the same old thing rehashed.
The Quest 2 brought back a lot of the fun I miss, it is exhausting though at times so I dont use it as often as I would like.

Soldato
I struggle with games now, think I'm going to start with WoW and GTA V and stick to them a bit, mainly GTA V storyline though.

When it gets to summer though no chance at all as with the sun out, cycling miles will increase.

Associate
38 next week and still going strong on the gaming front. My kids are into it so love playing Switch games with them. My PC gets played every now and again - loving playing Halo MCC through on PC for example. Have just got a Series X so that is something new.
For me the trick is variety. I know I don't have the same attention span for gaming like I did in my youth. I remember playing Banjo Kazooie 19 hours straight on the N64 one day to almost completion.
Now a days I play an hour or so every night by myself. I look forward to this time and always plan before hand what game I am going to play. I don't beat myself up about this style of play now - I still complete games but it takes a long time. I played GTAV off and on for well over a year for example :) 24 hours - Job + kids + exercise + sleep = not a lot of free hours for gaming.

Soldato
The biggest problem I have is that I don't have the time in these massive games any more to grind for gear, items, etc, which I feel I need to enjoy the game. I want like a condensed version of these games for someone with less time on their hands.

This is why I get all the games on PC now and use trainers etc to give me the gear I want without the grind as I progress through the game, as well as things like teleportation to stop the more mundane travelling aspects. This means I can focus on the good stuff and enjoy the game more.

Soldato
Single player games, as good as some are, seem to in a phase where taking 80/90 hours to complete is the norm and a 'good thing'. I hate it. I want quality not quantity. If i play a game for 20 odd hours, have a break for a few days, i'm often put off by the thought of having to play 3/4/5 times that amount again to complete it.

I don't have that kind of time or attention span these days. Story is key. Graphics, as good as they can be, don't keep me interested.

Online games; i like fun, fair games... not aggro. RL (with chat off) is a good example.

I've been playing Dyson Sphere Program recently...fantastic: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1366540/Dyson_Sphere_Program/

Associate
Burnout. Stop playing games for maybe a year, then when you come back find something well received by other people in your preferred genre and see if it hooks you back in>
I didn't enjoy gaming for a year or two until I played Disco Elysium and it reminded me why I loved them

29 myself, if that gives any context. Everyone else seems to be stating their age

Associate
A lot of modern action games forget the simple fun of being powerful and travelling quickly through a game wrecking things as escapism and stress release.

Too many modern games are bullet sponge enemies, with collectathons and busy work, grinding, excessive inventory management, filler side quests, etc.

I still play a lot of games but taken to more simple ones recently that are great for playing while watching streaming TV or Youtube at the same time. Tower defence, simple sports games like mini golf, turn based strategy, etc. I find many of those games too basic or restricting as the sole input but with additional stimulus of a documentary or good YT channel it makes a really good combo. Just turn the music down in game and you're set for most types of those games that don't tend to have constant sound effects.

I'm not even using a 2 screen setup for that either, just playing those types of games at 1920 x 1080 windowed with on a 2560 x 1440 with the TV browser like a smaller picture in picture TV style in the top right corner.

Definitely worth a try if you're finding the solo gaming experience too cold or sterile.

Associate
A lot of modern action games forget the simple fun of being powerful and travelling quickly through a game wrecking things as escapism and stress release.

Too many modern games are bullet sponge enemies, with collectathons and busy work, grinding, excessive inventory management, filler side quests, etc.
God yes this
All well and good if you want one main game that you focus on. For me it's Path of Exile.
But when EVERY game wants you to treat it like a part time job there's just no time for it. All these daily quests and limited time drops and the like leave you with FoMO and the feeling you have to play 5 games every single day without missing a single one

Soldato
OP
I dont find the mechanics of most games poor just feels like a button mash some games I like to learn the technique of the game hence why I enjoy CS:GO soo much. You should feel something everytime you do an action rather just shoot a bullet and just feeling basic. This is where I find the older and simpler games were better even the older fighters.

Back
Top Bottom