**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Family Thread ****

Associate
My advice...take the pre installed screen protector off lol

I left it on for few days and just removed it today.
Screen feels way nicer and imo looks even sharper

I'm to worried about my screen getting scratched to take mine off.Although people who owned the foldable took theres off and reported the screen looking a lot better. cleared more vivid ect.

Associate
I think I'm going to leave the preinstalled screen protector on for a little while before removing it and then just doing without.
I haven't had a screen protector on my last 2 phones and although by the end of their life I could see some tiny marks on the screen if I look for them, they were only visible when the screen is off.
It annoys me more when the olephobic coating wears off and the screen just always looks full of fingerprints and greasy.

Associate
I took mine off, it was already attracting dirt and you could feel the edges of it scratching slightly when doing gesture nav. It is pretty thin so I can't really see much benefit. I generally never bother with screen protectors on phones anyway.

Associate
Received silver by mistake, which ee are sorting out and I should receive black in around a week.

First thoughts on the phone. It's a bit of an oaf, which maybe is just how it looks in silver as the rounded silver edges look like the original iPhone. It's fairly heavy too. Camera bump makes the top corner sides look massive.

Phone isn't actually that big. It's tall rather than wide, so similar to my pixel 2 XL in width.

Samsung's OS looks cartoony with massive icons, which presumably I can customise. It also seems to have various non Google apps which will and hopefully can be replaced.

I feel a bit meh about it. I'm sure black will look loads better and I'll be able to customise the setup but tbh I just feel spoiled with a pixel device and not having to think about that anymore.

Is this a S21 Ultra?

Soldato
Ha no worries honestly!

The tracker said free gifts ship by 28th Jan, but they didn't so figured they were waiting for phone to be ready too - so when I saw DPD email and text, got excited thinking it must be the whole lot coming but nope lol

Samsung email just came through after saying its just the gifts

Ah well... the wait continues :D
Same here - got excited when DPD app said I had a parcel coming from Samsung......turns out to just be the Buds Pro and Smart Tag, no sign of the phone and S-Pen case yet :(
Ah well.........

Man of Honour
My ultra should be arriving at some point today to replace my Oneplus 7 Pro.

I've seen some people say Samsung have finally removed the massive amount of softening they seem to add in the post processing to pictures which I'm hoping is true because it was ridiculous in some cases when I was looking at pictures friends had taken.

Soldato
Pixel still a clear winner on the main cam.
Toss up on the ultra wide.

Google's special sauce still undisputed imo. Its a shame they have no idea on how to make a flagship phone!

Soldato

Google's special sauce still undisputed imo. Its a shame they have no idea on how to make a flagship phone!

Interesting! Does seem quite close but would have been nice to see some 100% crop photos as thats where I found samsung get caught short detail wise in the past.

Soldato
Interesting! Does seem quite close but would have been nice to see some 100% crop photos as thats where I found samsung get caught short detail wise in the past.

I find that the Pixel can retain detail and textures that S21U just loses or smears. S21U wins on ultimate dynamic range in the Night shots, Pixel wins on clarity, colours, textures, contrast etc.

S21U has the focal length variety on lock that's for sure.

Associate
OP
Hi all, I can get the following package from EE as part of Friends and Family discount.

512GB S21 Ultra - 100 GB Data and Unlimited Mins/Txts £60.90 per month (24 months) + £30 upfront = £1491.60

This seems like pretty good value as they have raised the discount from 20% to 30%. I haven't had a contract phone for years, but this seems like a pretty good deal as my current 100GB contract is £15 per month, but will increase shortly. What do people think? Better deals elsewhere?

Associate
Hi all, I can get the following package from EE as part of Friends and Family discount.

512GB S21 Ultra - 100 GB Data and Unlimited Mins/Txts £60.90 per month (24 months) + £30 upfront = £1491.60

This seems like pretty good value as they have raised the discount from 20% to 30%. I haven't had a contract phone for years, but this seems like a pretty good deal as my current 100GB contract is £15 per month, but will increase shortly. What do people think? Better deals elsewhere?

Think you'd struggle to best that, snap at that tbh.

Associate

It's got to the point where most cameras now are good enough for most people. The pixel had a couple of problems for me that made me want to move away, the first being the versatility of the camera, its like google don't want to give its users options. It's unforgivable not having a telephoto lens these days, if you have any ambition of being the best, and secondly, apart from the camera, the phones themselves are a bit rubbish really. It took 3 attempts to get a 2XL that worked properly and then the Pixel 5 has some annoying flaws too. I certainly don't regret swapping.

Associate

That's really good. I get 20% off through myperks. What's the 30% through?

Associate
OP
That's really good. I get 20% off through myperks. What's the 30% through?
It's through the friends and family scheme. I costed it up at 20% discount and their plans are just too expensive. The above at 30% also includes the gaming unleashed bundle from EE which is a 12 month game pass and a Razer Kishi controller plus the Samsung Buds live, which I could probably cash in to some degree. I'm very tempted, with all the reviews so far being positive and the Note 21 seems to be an FE or something so probably the best handset from them this year.

Back
Top Bottom