Macbook Pro M1 - Resale vaule..

Associate
Bit of a strange one but my Alienware is finally on its way out after 5 years of service so its time to switch over to MacOS, the thing is i really want the 16" macbook so I am thinking of buying the 13" m1 for now and then changing up to 16" at the end of the year when its released,

what do you think would hold a better resale value the Air or the Pro? both would be the 8GB/512gb versions?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
If you intend to resale, you may be better spending the least possible. Base MacBook Air at £999 should drop no more than £150-200 when the 16" MBP comes out.

Associate
Agree cheapest Air you can find, think there's a 14inch coming out at some point so that may hurt resale value of the current M1 based Air/Pros.

I went with the M1 Pro 8GB/256GB just because I like the design and the Touch Bar, although fully expect to be offloading it once the 14inch comes out.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm sitting here with a 5 month old MBP 16" that will probably tank in value as soon as the new M1 16" comes out. As others have said, just get the cheapest M1 macbook air or pro and you won't lose much on it. There have been quite a few deals knocking £100+ off the retail price as well so that would soften the loss even more.

Associate
I'm sitting here with a 5 month old MBP 16" that will probably tank in value as soon as the new M1 16" comes out. As others have said, just get the cheapest M1 macbook air or pro and you won't lose much on it. There have been quite a few deals knocking £100+ off the retail price as well so that would soften the loss even more.
Could actually be sought after for anyone wanting to run a windows install natively for whatever reason.

I remember my old 2012 non-retina (last non-retina mbp) selling well because it had a specific audio chip that the new ones didn’t which made it better for music production at the time

Soldato
Agree with @shiver , the whole Windows thing could make the Intel 16’s sought after for a while. There is also the fact that the new 16’s are going to cost at least £2400 although likely more. I know the the 13’s didn’t increase in price with the M1 chip but if the leaks are to be believed we could be looking at a new design language along with potentially mini-led displays and I refuse to believe this won’t come with a price hike.
I bought my 16 from the refurb store for £2039 last May and I’m just looking on eBay seeing them around £1600 at the low end and I don’t expect them to drop much lower. Someone who really wants a 16 inch purely for the screen/chassis size would look at £1600 Intel units before spending potentially an extra £1k on a new M1 version.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Well if I'm honest. Currently just work related Word/Email and surfing the web. I used to rip films/music etc but over the last 12 months I've not done this.
TBH I think I've just answered my own question haven't I

Yep. The new M1 will feel the same as your current machine with your use.

Associate
I must apologise for hijacking this thread but I can recieve £750 as trade in for my 2020 Intel MacBook Pro. I was wondering if I'd see a difference in upgrading from this to the 2020 M1 MacBook Air???

Battery life is insane if that means anything to you, I get over 3 days worth of use which comprises of web browsing, google docs through chrome, video calls through slack and youtube - and when I put it on charge its still at around 20% battery - granted mines the MacBook Pro but wont be that different with the Air.

Soldato
How much did you pay for it and what are the specs.

I paid just under £1050. 1.4 quad core i5. 8gb ram and 256mb ram.

Battery life is insane if that means anything to you, I get over 3 days worth of use which comprises of web browsing, google docs through chrome, video calls through slack and youtube - and when I put it on charge its still at around 20% battery - granted mines the MacBook Pro but wont be that different with the Air.

I think I'm just looking due to being a tech freak and wanting the latest. My Pro is amazing and should just wait for the gen 2 M1 chips if I am to ever upgrade.

Associate
I paid just under £1050. 1.4 quad core i5. 8gb ram and 256mb ram.

I think I'm just looking due to being a tech freak and wanting the latest. My Pro is amazing and should just wait for the gen 2 M1 chips if I am to ever upgrade.

I recently sold my mid 2019 MacBook Air (which was configured with top spec at the time) in favour of the M1 Air. The difference is immense.

I was fairly disappointed with the Intel Air as soon as I received it as it just felt so slow even compared against the 2013 rMBP that it was replacing. Opening things like 1Password took too long after the machine started up and its "Ohh I've been asleep for a couple of hours, I'll just shut down now" feature was infuriating. I didn't otherwise use the machine for anything heavy, just some browsing, Slack and the occasional document.

With the M1 the speed is great, I'm not left waiting for almost anything. The M1's awake from sleep feature is now also better than what I had on my 2013 retina MacBook.

For reference, I sold my 2019 Air for just about half price (through the well known auction site) compared to what I paid for it just 12 months prior.

Associate
I must apologise for hijacking this thread but I can recieve £750 as trade in for my 2020 Intel MacBook Pro. I was wondering if I'd see a difference in upgrading from this to the 2020 M1 MacBook Air???

I would go for it, M1 is so superior to my old Intel Macbook pro, my intel macbook would sometimes just ramp fan up while seemly doing not much, also gets hot after running a few apps and dockers on the same time.

M1 is nice and quiet and always pretty cool you take it for granted, when I went back I could never get used to the noise and heat again.

Back
Top Bottom